TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought this used PTV 300 model Tivo. I already have a Dish DVR that I pay a subscription on. I bought this one to just use on my daughters TV with no subscription to Tivo. I just wanted to use it to use the Pause Live TV and maybe push record while watching TV and push stop when it finishes (that way I wouldn't need the subscription). Is this not possible?

I set it up and plugged it in and got a "Your reciever is starting up please wait" message, followed by a "Just a few more seconds", and finally a "A severe error has occurred please leave your unit plugged in to the phone line for 3 hours" type of message saying to call this 1-800 number.

Am I not going to be able to use this unit without a subscription at all? :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
classicsat said:
Sub or not, it should take you to GS or Now Paying.

You have a system problem, more than liekly the HDD.

When you do get that fixed, and GS done, you can only live buffer, record a half hour from the buffer, or set a manual recording.

Within that half hour, or a manual recording, you can ask it to stop recording.
I wondered if this might be the case.

I think I will throw one of my unused hard drives I have in my storage room in this thing and see if that will get it running. I think I'm going to be doing a lot of reading to get this done right so I'll report back when I get that done.

Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mick66 said:
You won't get very far without the appropriate version of the TiVo software on that hard drive.
Are you saying that since this original hard drive is "dead" I will never be able to use this unit? If so, then how do those buy it/drop it in HDD's for sale work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.