TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought this used PTV 300 model Tivo. I already have a Dish DVR that I pay a subscription on. I bought this one to just use on my daughters TV with no subscription to Tivo. I just wanted to use it to use the Pause Live TV and maybe push record while watching TV and push stop when it finishes (that way I wouldn't need the subscription). Is this not possible?

I set it up and plugged it in and got a "Your reciever is starting up please wait" message, followed by a "Just a few more seconds", and finally a "A severe error has occurred please leave your unit plugged in to the phone line for 3 hours" type of message saying to call this 1-800 number.

Am I not going to be able to use this unit without a subscription at all? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
If the unit does not clear itself (it can take more or less than 3 hours) try to skip the error messages and get to the messages and setup screen, then the restart/reset menu, then do a clear and delete everything. That will get rid of all the garbage and any settings that may be interfering with your setup. Once you get past all this you will be able to use it as you planned.
 

·
Astute User
Joined
·
17,877 Posts
Sub or not, it should take you to GS or Now Paying.

You have a system problem, more than liekly the HDD.

When you do get that fixed, and GS done, you can only live buffer, record a half hour from the buffer, or set a manual recording.

Within that half hour, or a manual recording, you can ask it to stop recording.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
classicsat said:
Sub or not, it should take you to GS or Now Paying.

You have a system problem, more than liekly the HDD.

When you do get that fixed, and GS done, you can only live buffer, record a half hour from the buffer, or set a manual recording.

Within that half hour, or a manual recording, you can ask it to stop recording.
I wondered if this might be the case.

I think I will throw one of my unused hard drives I have in my storage room in this thing and see if that will get it running. I think I'm going to be doing a lot of reading to get this done right so I'll report back when I get that done.

Thanks for the help, guys.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
unrelenting said:
I think I will throw one of my unused hard drives I have in my storage room in this thing and see if that will get it running.
You won't get very far without the appropriate version of the TiVo software on that hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mick66 said:
You won't get very far without the appropriate version of the TiVo software on that hard drive.
Are you saying that since this original hard drive is "dead" I will never be able to use this unit? If so, then how do those buy it/drop it in HDD's for sale work?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Depending on how far gone your original HD is, you may still be able to use it to get the software by using dd_rescue (or something like that). I've never had to do it, so I don't have any more to offer on that subject.
how do those buy it/drop it in HDD's for sale work?
Are you asking how well do they work (perfectly btw) or how can they work?

Considering that you already have a HD that you can use, you may want to consider buying ptvupgrade's InstantCake cd to put the software on that HD.
http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/instantcake/
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top