TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am an electronic engineer with a minor in computer science, so I understand technology. That being said, I do not have more than a bit of knowledge about TiVo hardware.

Second, apologies if this information is readily available in this forum; it was not readily apparent with the search terms I was using.

I need to swap out a hard drive on a TiVo Premiere. What do I need to confirm before proceeding? I hope I have attached enough information for you to answer my question.

One of the TiVos reset itself, but cannot make it through POST. I've turned it off, let it sit for a couple hours, then tried again, but no joy (also after waiting a couple hours).

My girlfriend has two TiVo Premieres, each with 2 tuners and Lifetime subscriptions. Each is being used with a CableCard to interface with Spectrum. I haven't dug them out of their (well-ventilated) hidey holes to get serial numbers, but that is doable, if necessary. When working, they shared shows easily enough, if that helps.

I want to replace the hard drive. I have a Disk Duplicator that, maybe, will grab the image off the defective unit and copy that, plus the shows, over to the new drive.

If that doesn't work, I can use the drive from the working unit as the source easily enough, but I understand that a certain level of compatibility is required.

The units are old enough that getting a hard drive of the same size might be problematic, but I also understand that some tweaks have to be made when increasing the hard drive capacity. Also, if I get a larger drive, the Disk Duplicator may screw things up.​

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,194 Posts
Using a disk duplicator can also copy any issues that the original drive had developed, also, it would be an exact copy, even if the new drive is larger.

It can use larger drives than the OEM size.

Tivo does not work with over 80% of hard drives available. 7200+ RPM, SMR type drives should be avoided. So, recommended is WD Red Plus (CMR). Next you would need a model matching (TCD746) image implanted on the new drive to get to work.

Reactions: Jeff Lindstrom

·
tabasco rules
15,894 Posts
Using a disk duplicator can also copy any issues that the original drive had developed, also, it would be an exact copy, even if the new drive is larger.

It can use larger drives than the OEM size.

Tivo does not work with over 80% of hard drives available. 7200+ RPM, SMR type drives should be avoided. So, recommended is WD Red Plus (CMR). Next you would need a model matching (TCD746) image implanted on the new drive to get to work.
specifically, a 5400 rpm drive, and it could be a 748000 pxl tivo, so better check the model number to be sure before requesting an image.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it turns out, my girlfriend is unwilling to go the repair route, so she may be selling the unit (with its Lifetime subscription).

I don't see Lifetime subscriptions as an option for the newer TiVos. Am I missing something?

·
tabasco rules
15,894 Posts
As it turns out, my girlfriend is unwilling to go the repair route, so she may be selling the unit (with its Lifetime subscription).

I don't see Lifetime subscriptions as an option for the newer TiVos. Am I missing something?
you need to call (monthly subscriptions are promoted online), but be ready for sticker shock, it's more expensive than when the premieres were purchased - you may want to present the option of repair for short term, then wait for a holiday sale for lifetime, which may save you a few hundred dollars for waiting a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

A repair route would be a more pleasant experience I believe - using 'images' supplied here I've done 3TB upgrades to 8TB and in Premiere based units 300GB to 2TB, I did the 2TB only because I had one. Is yours maybe a Premiere Elite (4 tuner) for only CableCARD

·
tabasco rules
15,894 Posts
Way too expensive for her, I'll wager.

I'm seeing TiVo BOLTs for sale on eBay with Lifetime. Different models are available. Other than making sure it handles Cable, what other concerns should I have with model number?
there's a selection here:
TiVo Bolt DVRs (weaknees.com)
word of caution, tivo models from bolts onward have 2.5" hard drives (as opposed to 3.5"), and appear to be more prone to failure, with a shorter lifespan overall in some cases. also, you're restricted to the new(ish) te4 ui, which plays ads when you start a recorded show (they can be skipped with another button push, but sometimes the interface action locks up the tivo).

·
Registered
36,052 Posts
there's a selection here:
TiVo Bolt DVRs (weaknees.com)
word of caution, tivo models from bolts onward have 2.5" hard drives (as opposed to 3.5"), and appear to be more prone to failure, with a shorter lifespan overall in some cases. also, you're restricted to the new(ish) te4 ui, which plays ads when you start a recorded show (they can be skipped with another button push, but sometimes the interface action locks up the tivo).
Can't you still roll back to TE3 on a Bolt? Was the first thing I did a couple years ago on the Bolt I picked up at that the time. So far I have been lucky it hasn't crapped out either.

·
tabasco rules
15,894 Posts
Can't you still roll back to TE3 on a Bolt? Was the first thing I did a couple years ago on the Bolt I picked up at that the time. So far I have been lucky it hasn't crapped out either.
i'm vaguely remembering that newly purchased bolts are unable to rollback to te3, but it may be my imagination. :confused:

Reactions: jcondon

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Mine is a couple years old now and refurb. So that is why I asked. I was curious if they disabled that ability in newer releases. You could very well be right.
By newer releases, you would mean the TiVo Edge. That is the current model and it will only run TE4. All Bolts (except the Bolt OTA, which only runs TE4) and Roamios can run either TE3 or TE4.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
also, you're restricted to the new(ish) te4 ui, which plays ads when you start a recorded show (they can be skipped with another button push, but sometimes the interface action locks up the tivo).
While this is correct about the pre-roll ads, TiVo has been accepting requests to disable those ads. Just in case you weren't aware.

·
tabasco rules
15,894 Posts
While this is correct about the pre-roll ads, TiVo has been accepting requests to disable those ads. Just in case you weren't aware.
i'm fully aware, but also not attempting to inundate the op with too many options to consider at once.

also, just because the bolt can run te3, doesn't mean that tivo will enable the rollback feature for new purchases - referencing tivo.com doesn't add credibility to your argument, either.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
i'm fully aware, but also not attempting to inundate the op with too many options to consider at once.

also, just because the bolt can run te3, doesn't mean that tivo will enable the rollback feature for new purchases - referencing tivo.com doesn't add credibility to your argument, either.
OK, believe what you want. I know I purchased a new Bolt Vox 500G OTA & Cable and I rolled it back. It was the last version of the Bolt sold. Since you can't buy a new Bolt from Tivo, it doesn't add any credibility to your argument. At least I have done it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.