TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CableCard installed on my new Premiere yesterday. The installation guy checked a channel, then ran off. Well, as it turns out, I'm only getting certain HD channels. For instance, I'm getting all the network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW) as well as WGN and TBS. However, most of the other channels I'm not getting. No Disney, Travel, Food, TNT, ScyFy, Discovery, Science, etc.

I've had a service call with Insight since yesterday, and the tech is supposed to show up today. He called and said he would be by later, but that the Cable box got more HD channels than the Tivo Box does. I flipped through the instruction manual and found the section on SDVs (http://www.tivo.com/switched). Does anyone know if this is the problem? Insight had no idea what was wrong when I called them. Does anyone have any specific experience with Insight and can advise me on what to do to get this working? Tell the installer something? Call Insight and tell them something? Or is this something Tivo can handle?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got my CableCard installed on my new Premiere yesterday. The installation guy checked a channel, then ran off. Well, as it turns out, I'm only getting certain HD channels. For instance, I'm getting all the network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW) as well as WGN and TBS. However, most of the other channels I'm not getting. No Disney, Travel, Food, TNT, ScyFy, Discovery, Science, etc.

I've had a service call with Insight since yesterday, and the tech is supposed to show up today. He called and said he would be by later, but that the Cable box got more HD channels than the Tivo Box does. I flipped through the instruction manual and found the section on SDVs (http://www.tivo.com/switched). Does anyone know if this is the problem? Insight had no idea what was wrong when I called them. Does anyone have any specific experience with Insight and can advise me on what to do to get this working? Tell the installer something? Call Insight and tell them something? Or is this something Tivo can handle?

Thanks for the help!
As far as I know Insight does not use SDV yet. The problem is that the cablecard or your account is not provisioned correctly to see the Classic or Digital Choice Tier. You probably can get this taken care of without another visit by calling support. Make sure they have your cable card device ID and Host ID correct in their system and have them make sure that your account is set up to receive those channels. You may have to have them re-pair the card. If the person doesn't sound like they know what you are talking about then hang up and try again. I am simply speaking from experience with Insight Lexington.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know Insight does not use SDV yet. The problem is that the cablecard or your account is not provisioned correctly to see the Classic or Digital Choice Tier. You probably can get this taken care of without another visit by calling support. Make sure they have your cable card device ID and Host ID correct in their system and have them make sure that your account is set up to receive those channels. You may have to have them re-pair the card. If the person doesn't sound like they know what you are talking about then hang up and try again. I am simply speaking from experience with Insight Lexington.
I called Tivo earlier, and they walked me through the CableCard menu and determined that everything is paired and activated correctly, they just need to re-send the authorization. I was kind of waiting for the install guy (Primarily because he sounded like an idiot spewing misinformation, and also because he is supposedly already planning on coming by).

I guess I could just try my luck with the phone service though and see if I can get it fixed that way. Tivo said that if I had any problems to just give them a call back and they will talk to the tech and/or call Insight up for me. He was extremely nice and helpful. I was very pleased.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I called Tivo earlier, and they walked me through the CableCard menu and determined that everything is paired and activated correctly, they just need to re-send the authorization. I was kind of waiting for the install guy (Primarily because he sounded like an idiot spewing misinformation, and also because he is supposedly already planning on coming by).

I guess I could just try my luck with the phone service though and see if I can get it fixed that way. Tivo said that if I had any problems to just give them a call back and they will talk to the tech and/or call Insight up for me. He was extremely nice and helpful. I was very pleased.
If you feel your cable cards are set up correctly one additional thing to make sure of is that you are not splitting your cable through any old splitters or surge protectors that do not support 1ghz frequencies. I ran into this issue at first when getting setup with an old surge protector that included coaxial protection. I ran the line directly into the TiVo and some of the blocked channels came in just fine afterwards.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Which Insight market are you in? I get all of the HD channels on my TiVo HD. And when I've had problems with a channel not working, the phone support has been able to fix it easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lexington. An update. When I called Insight and told them what Tivo said, they said they could send the CableCard a signal to reset the information. If that didn't work, then they could re-pair it, otherwise I would need the tech. Well, once they sent the signal, everything started working perfectly.

I guess there was just a hiccup the first time it got paired. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Lexington. An update. When I called Insight and told them what Tivo said, they said they could send the CableCard a signal to reset the information. If that didn't work, then they could re-pair it, otherwise I would need the tech. Well, once they sent the signal, everything started working perfectly.

I guess there was just a hiccup the first time it got paired. Thanks for all the help!
Glad to hear you got everything working. I am in Lexington as well and looking forward to all the new HD channels that are coming in a month or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem, this seems to be something to do with Insights cable card provisioning, the lady (tier 2 in louisville who actually knew what she was doing) I talked to said that its not uncommon for them to have to re-pair or re-provision the account and send a new hit....she explained it as it takes a few minutes for the system to authorize the card to begin with but it doesnt get the package provisioning the first time around for some reason, so if you experience this problem, just wait about 30 minutes call the tech support and tell them to re-provision or re-pair you account and it should work fine!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.