TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently (last night) a lightning storm zapped the modem in my RCA Series2 DVR40 TiVo. It can no longer dial out.

The DirecTV rep wanted to replace it with a DTV DVR unit but I prefer Tivo. For now, I won't be able to order PPV, but more importantly, he says, not get software upgrades from TiVo. Eventually I guess this will disable the unit entirely.

What are my options?

Is there a regular MB in there that I can possibly replace the modem myself?

Can I buy a new TiVo unit directly from TiVo and purchase my TiVo Service from them? We have 3 other units from DTV, one is DVR, one has no recorder and one is also a TiVo (HUGHES?).

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, those are good options. I'm positive I can deal with hacking the unit. I'm a developer and build my own pc's. Where can I find info on what is in there?

What about buying a new tivo? The faqs say they will work on any satellite service. I imagine I will be paying for two different dvr services but that's ok too...

With the ebay option I suppose I would not have to order the TiVo service?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thanks everyone for all of your help.

Sounds like I'll be ok to leave it. We don't watch PPV. If/when I need to I will either hack it (and I assume update it directly somehow) or get an approved USB and let it update over my wireless network.

I'm glad I found this forum... I wish I knew about it before.

I'm definitely curious about upgrading my unit HD and finding out what TiVo desktop is!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.