TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I did a force update and was finally updated to Software Version 20.5.6.RC21-01-2-758. This is the updated 2015 Winter Update that includes bug fixes to previously reported bugs with this update.

I did this on two different XL4 units. No issues.

Force updated by going to: Settings & Messages > Settings > Network > Connect to the TiVo Service Now

After it updated, it showed "Pending Restart." I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to manually restart, so that's what I did. You can do this by going to Settings & Messages > Help > Restart or Reset > Restart the TiVo box.

Now I have all of the new features shown here: https://www.tivo.com/softwareupdates for the Winter 2015 Update. I didn't start out intending to do update my software. Was just trying to update the guide so that I could record tomorrow night's debate on MSNBC, but it still isn't showing the information correctly (likely) due to the short notice of the debate happening.

I hope this helps someone else, as I couldn't find a thread on the forum (or elsewhere on the 'net showing that there were no problems with the current available update.)

One thing to keep in mind -- the overall process takes about an hour. Once you restart your TiVo, (at least in my experience on the XL4 unit) it will take around 30 minutes (out of the 60 minutes overall) for the unit to install the update. You don't see a progress bar, or countdown timer, so just go do something else while your unit is updating. I don't recommend turning off the unit if you think the update is taking too long as that's how computers/phones/electronics turn into bricks. Also, please do not reset instead of restarting. Good luck!

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Was just trying to update the guide so that I could record tomorrow night's debate on MSNBC, but it still isn't showing the information correctly (likely) due to the short notice of the debate happening.
I've been watching zap2it and titantv. Neither has the debate on MSNBC tomorrow. It's on the MSNBC website, but they seem to have not told TMS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My only fear is that it will not record if it updates over night. I currently have it scheduled to record what is scheduled at that time -- and I added 3 hours. I seem to recall that happening before -- where I set it to record something, and the schedule (guide) changed so nothing was recorded. No big deal. Like you said, it will be on their site and re-aired. I'll probably catch it live, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

I've been watching zap2it and titantv. Neither has the debate on MSNBC tomorrow. It's on the MSNBC website, but they seem to have not told TMS.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just completed my forced update to the winter release. I now have guide logos.

The event was a little more intrusive than the OP suggested, but not much. My Tivo Premiere froze while watching live tv. I checked settings / network to see if anything was amiss. It stated 'restart pending'. I went to help and performed a restart.

The first part took about 1/2 hour. Then it restarted and presented a screen that an update was going on and it could take an hour or more.

I went to my roku and passed some time. After about an hour, live tv was back.

So far so good. I'm only a few minutes into the update so I don't know what my minis have in store, if anything.

Now to see if hulu is working again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Was just trying to update the guide so that I could record tomorrow night's debate on MSNBC, but it still isn't showing the information correctly (likely) due to the short notice of the debate happening.
My only fear is that it will not record if it updates over night. I currently have it scheduled to record what is scheduled at that time -- and I added 3 hours. I seem to recall that happening before -- where I set it to record something, and the schedule (guide) changed so nothing was recorded. No big deal. Like you said, it will be on their site and re-aired. I'll probably catch it live, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.
This is what manual recordings are for. Set up a manual recording for the time and channel of the debate, then you don't have to worry about what TMS puts in the guide data.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know nothing about the update. Haven't been in the forums lately. My XL4 just rebooted at 5am for the update. Just finished the first part, rebooted, and I'm staring at the "may take up to an hour screen". Why didn't this happen overnight, maybe say 2am. Oh well, no TV while I get ready for work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.