TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to cut the power to my house at the main breaker. When I turned it back on the TiVo was displaying a screen that was 1/4 white in the upper left corner and the rest was snow. It does not respond to remote commands and is stuck on this screen. How dead is my TiVo?

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I rebooted several times. Switched from HDMI to Composite, tried second television. No luck. Spoke to TiVo and the only thing they could do was RMA it. $150 to replace it. Not what I wanted to hear.
The lesson to be learned here is always have the TiVo on a UPS, but the AC cord and let it sit for about 24 hours, then unplug everything else from it, hook the yellow jack to a yellow jack on a TV, and with no cable TV cable hooked up, no ethernet, nothing in the USB, no HDMI connected, no antenna connected, just the composite video cable and the power cord, plug it back into the wall socket.

No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

There's an option in the menus to restart a TiVo. I always do that and pull the plug just after the screen goes blank and before it reboots if I need to cut off power to it. I figure that way it does whatever it needs to to put everything away neatly before restarting.

·
Chill- its just TV
5,097 Posts
I would test the hard drive. Unless it's lifetime, I would not consider the TiVo offer. Even then, a used lifetime box is probably available on Craigslist near you for around $150.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I rebooted several times. Switched from HDMI to Composite, tried second television. No luck. Spoke to TiVo and the only thing they could do was RMA it. $150 to replace it. Not what I wanted to hear.
The offer to replace / rma it for $150 is pretty good if it's a lifetime box and the lifetime transfers. Used lifetime 4 tuner premieres cost about $400+ now, but sales are in waves. Sometimes there's none and sometimes there are many available. Recent eBay auction prices completed for as little as $250, but most go for near $400. Look at Ebay.

A 2TB replacement drive would cost about $100 from Amazon and then you would need to know how to put it in successfully.

The suggestion for a UPS is a good one. I just installed a couple and already had my network (cable modem, router, switches, NAS) on one. However, my home has a whole house backup generator and the ups is needed to keep it going for the 10 seconds it takes to start. A ups without that is just a high quality surge suppressor, which is also a requirement if you don't get a ups. Get the ups if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.