TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Pre Roll on Edge

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  tommage1 
#1 ·
So the Edge is TE4 only, that is confirmed. Is anyone using an Edge yet? When hooked up do you get the pre-roll ads? Here is the big question, if you are an "old" Tivo customer can you "opt out" of the pre-rolls on the Edge? Or is the Edge pre-roll for everyone permanently?

#6 ·
Some users have slow internet that is good enough to download guide data, but inadequate for streaming video. Not sure if pre roll ads would prevent them from watching shows until they can get the ads disabled. I think Tivo would have to honor all requests to disable the ads. If the pre roll ads require a minimum bandwidth, then Tivo should verify the customer's internet bandwidth before turning on the ads.

#10 ·
It seems odd that the ads are streamed real-time from the internet. Given that a tivo is a DVR, you’d think it would download a selection of ad clips and store them locally during the nightly service calls.

If they insist on doing the prerolled ads, at least make them more seamless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
It seems odd that the ads are streamed real-time from the internet. Given that a tivo is a DVR, you'd think it would download a selection of ad clips and store them locally during the nightly service calls.

If they insist on doing the prerolled ads, at least make them more seamless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That makes sense, a good idea. Except maybe for one thing. If they are constantly downloading clips/ads to your Tivo they will be using your internet. And you have no control over what they download and how much. If you have a limited plan like my DSL with 150GB a month with $1 a GB after that. They could conceivably download a load of cr*p that could put me over my limit. And I'd have no control over it, all of a sudden a $1000 internet bill for a month and wondering what happened (with 150GB cap and $1 a GB after that 1.15TB in a month would get you a $1000 bill since you'd be going 1000GB over your limit). Doubt they would be downloading a TB of ads but even 100GB would put me over my limit as I normally use 30-60GB a month (with no streaming).

#7 ·
Some users have slow internet that is good enough to download guide data, but inadequate for streaming video. Not sure if pre roll ads would prevent them from watching shows until they can get the ads disabled. I think Tivo would have to honor all requests to disable the ads. If the pre roll ads require a minimum bandwidth, then Tivo should verify the customer's internet bandwidth before turning on the ads.
That is correct. I have DSL. When the ads started I got nothing but a blue spinning circle, the ad never loaded. Heck once I switched to another input and forgot it, 12 hours later I STILL had a blue spinning circle. I called to report, after I called the ads did show up/load and I was able to skip (they must have done something based on what I told them.) I also opted out, that happened about 48 hours later I think. Streaming video, I have the fastest DSL available by me. Ok for SD. HD can be iffy. I'm pretty sure if they ever start providing 4K stream it would not work for me. My speed is supposed to be 6Mbps (is actually about 5Mbps). The other speeds available are 3Mbps and I think 1.5Mbps and 768Kbps ;) I doubt any of the other speeds would be good for any streaming. And you only get 150GB a month, that is the most you can get with the package. Anything over that is billed $1 per GB (whew, how about a couple TB at that rate) and could get VERY expensive, that blue spinning circle for 12 hours worried me but it worked out ok.

#8 ·
Tivo might need to specify a minimum data transfer rate needed to use the DVR. Or maybe test the transfer rate as part of guided setup.

#2 ·
I haven't called to opt out, but when I called to opt out on my Roamio Plus, they told me I'd have to call back to opt out on the Edge and it should be possible.

Supposedly there's some guidelines as to if you can opt out, but I don't know what those guidelines are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.