TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(I posted this on Redit also)

So, I've been struggling trying to get my TiVo Mini to play nicely with a TiVo Bolt. The Mini, unfortunately, is not near a cable coax or ethernet wiring and as we all know it's not compatible with WiFi as it's too slow. I've added a MOCA network which enabled me to feed a powerline adapter in the same room, on the same electrical circuit, as the Mini plugged into the 2nd powerline adapter. The "Mini works now" but as my speed test shows the powerline network is way slower than MOCA.

I'm wondering if there's a newer brand of powerline adapter that would work faster than the 171 Mbps that I'm getting?

For the speed test I connected my laptop to each of the network points, i.e., at the MOCA adapters and the Mini's powerline adapter. I then ran the Internet Speed test using Ookla Speedtest.
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Triangle

Ookla internet speed test results, in Mbps, Comcast cable provider.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,752 Posts
First off, there's something wrong, all your upload speed seems capped extraordinarily low
Using TP-link 2000Mbps powerline adapters I get about 300Mbps up and down, that seems to be where the outlet I'm currently testing on tops out, but it's more than sufficient.

I've used 300Mbps adapters a lot and they are more than sufficient for a mini to a Bolt and averaged about 180Mbps up and down on the adapter, however there's no need for the higher throughput since the mini only has a 10/100 NIC anyway and ATSC is 19.2Mbps of traffic. The 4K mini may have a GB port, but even then it's overkill, 100Mbps is more than enough.

IMNSHO you're creating a problem where there isn't one, if you have a performance issue on the mini it's not your throughput.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The upload speeds are throttled by Comcast. Always have been at 50 Mbps for my Giga byte service plan in Albuquerque NM. Until I added the MOCA network which enabled me to have both powerline adapters in the same room as the Mini I couldn't get a stable Mini connection. Believe me I had problems with powerline adapters spread throughout the house in different rooms. My Mini is working fine now with my current configuration. Just looking for a better performing powerline network for other uses. So, you like your TP-Link 2000 Mbps?

·
wait.. I did what?
14,752 Posts
I prefer the Zyxel 300Mbps for Tivo usage, the slower you go, the more stable it will be.
If you're having a lot of issues with powerline networking there is the possibility that your wiring might not be up to snuff.
One of the more obvious points to make is that you are plugging them directly into the wall into a grounded outlet, they will not work reliably in any powerstrip with surge protection.

I'm at over 10 years and have used them in my home and my father's house, we have had zero issues with the exception of a few that were then found to be related to wiring issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so maybe the adapters (DHP-P700AV Powerline AV2 2000 Gigabit Adapters) I have are too fast and more susceptible to line noise thus less stable for TiVo. Anyway, it's all working now. Next time, no wait, there won't be a next time with TiVo, they're one foot in the grave with a cable card system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
180Mbps up and down on the adapter
Wondering how you tested that data rate of 180Mbps thru your Adapters?
I just downloaded LAN Speed Test to give that a try instead of the Ookla Internet Speedtest program. I'm getting crazy results that don't make much sense to me.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,752 Posts
Wondering how you tested that data rate of 180Mbps thru your Adapters?
I just downloaded LAN Speed Test to give that a try instead of the Ookla Internet Speedtest program. I'm getting crazy results that don't make much sense to me.
Laptop plugged into the powerline adapter and went to speedtest.net

·
Wear Your Mask!
63,400 Posts
I have these "gigibit" jobbies from Amazon. Seems to work fine for the Mini in my bedroom or wherever else it ends up without wifi. I was pretty surprised when I moved the Mini from an unused office that had ethernet and found out it didn't have wifi.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have these "gigibit" jobbies from Amazon. Seems to work fine for the Mini in my bedroom or wherever else it ends up without wifi. I was pretty surprised when I moved the Mini from an unused office that had ethernet and found out it didn't have wifi.
Not much consolation, I'm sure, but the new Mini Lux & Vox will work with WIFI after adding a TiVo USB adapter. TiVo WiFi 5 USB Adapter Setup

Edit: correction

1 - 9 of 9 Posts