TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a brand new TV (Sharp Aquos LCD), and it seems that every time I turn it on my Standalone Series 2 TiVo reboots. I never had this problem with my old CRT so I am a bit perplexed.

At first I thought that the LCD was pulling too much power when I first turn it on. Everything was plugged into the same surge protector so I bought a Uninterruptible Power Supply and powered just the TiVo and my direcTV receiver off of it. Unfortunately it still had the problem.

Last night I figured I see if the fact the TiVo and the LCD TV were in the same circuit was the problem so I plugged the TV into another outlet that I know is powered of separate circuit breaker. Guess what? Still rebooting :(

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

My only other thought was that the TV was causing a problem through the video or audio connections, but Everything goes through an AV Receiver.

Here's the video and audio set up:

Satellite -> TiVo -> Yamaha AV Receiver -> LCD TV

Here's the power set up

Outlet #1 <- UPS Battery Back up <- Satellite and TiVo
<- UPS Surge protector <- AV Receiver and DVD Player
Outlet #2 <- LCD TV

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Dumb Blond
47,508 Posts
How close is the TiVo box to the TV? I wonder if there's some sort of electromagnetic pulse that is bothering the TiVo. I can't recall hearing of a problem like this before, though.

What happens if you disconnect the cables from the TV? Or from the TiVo?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting thought... The TiVo sits underneath the satellite receiver . They are both underneath a piece of wood about 2 inches thick with the TV on top (it is on a stand about 3 inches on top of the wood.

I have a co-worker who had a similar issue, but his was solved by plugging the TV into a different outlet.

Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like it reboots a few seconds after the power comes on. To put it another way, I always see about 1 to 2 seconds of the program that is currently "live" on TiVo then I see the Gray "powering up" screen.

·
Cool Geek
46 Posts
Can this be a problem that just occurs? Mine started rebooting (powering up) every 10-15 minutes on Tuesday. The one odd thing is that the TV and Tivo have been in the exact same spot for the past 3 years....no new equipment, nothing has been moved...

hmmm....

·
Dumb Blond
47,508 Posts
Rebooting that occurs spontaneously is actually more common and is USUALLY due to hard disk problems, though not always. What was odd about DropIt's case was that it always happened when he turned on the new TV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it happens only on start up, I haven't moved the location but a co-worker (unfamiliar with TiVo) wondered if the TV starting up could somehow inform TiVo to reboot via an input (IR or the WLAN to USB interface I'm using).

The only reasoning he had for this was the fact that the reboot is not instantaneous, in other words the "powering up" screen does not appears for approximately 3 seconds after the TV shows a valid picture (i.e. live TV).

Thanks

·
Just hangin'
30,962 Posts
I does seem that some electronic impulse from the TV is triggering a reboot in the TiVo. The easiest (?) way to verify this is to separate the TiVo and TV.

Could the TV turning on be causing a very momentary power interruption to the TiVo? Do any lights on the same circuit dim when the TV is turned on? Try powering the TV or TiVo from a separate AC circuit.

·
Cool Geek
46 Posts
stevel said:
Rebooting that occurs spontaneously is actually more common and is USUALLY due to hard disk problems, though not always. What was odd about DropIt's case was that it always happened when he turned on the new TV.
How can one diagnose a hard disk issue? Also if it's the disk, and I replace the disk, would I still have my DVD-recording capability on the Pioneer DVD recording TiVo?

·
Dumb Blond
47,508 Posts
DropIt, there is no signal that goes from the TV to the TiVo. I'm with Jim on the EMP suggestion. But I have to admit the whole thing has me puzzled.

reggers, replacing the hard disk would not affect the features of your TiVo nor your TiVo service subscription. You would lose all the recorded shows and preferences, though.

Diagnosing a hard disk problem is tricky. You can try running the disk manufacturer's diagnostic with the disk connected to a PC. (Always boot from the diagnostic CD or floppy - never boot into Windows with a TiVo disk connected.) My experience is that this won't tell you anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm still pretty confused. I went ahead and placed the TiVo on the bottom of my AV stack (now it's about two feet under the TV) and it the tivo is still rebooting, so I think the distance is not an issue. There is the possibility that cabling is carrying a signal though.

The only thing I can think of is the pull the TiVo out of the stack altogether and only connect the cables to the TV through the AV Receiver front Panel.

Just FYI the TV in general needs to be cold in order to have it reboot so I can't really perform multiple tests in a row, thus no solution yet.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are all the devices on the same circuit? Could it be that the additional power required to cold start the new TV is more of a drain than the TiVo can handle?

You might want to try plugging the TiVo into a long extension cord connected to a different electical circuit.

Probably not the case, but a thought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Although it certainly sounds electrical, from your first post I see that you've already ruled out a circuit overload by using another circuit. You're certain the secondary outlet you tested is on a completely different circuit in the breaker box?

Have you tried hooking the UPS to a long heavy gauge extension cable to another outlet so that all the components are getting power from another outlet? (To rule out a problem with the outlet itself. I have one outlet in my office that I need to inspect that has 2 UPS's connected to it. Occasionaly one of the UPS's will trip momentarily while the other doesn't trip. It's definitely an issue with the outlet and not an overload in the circuit.)

How is the Tivo hooked into the receiver? SVideo or composite? Since you mentioned using the connectors on the front of the receiver I'd guess composite.

I don't know a thing about the electrical connection properties of s-video or composite, but I'd have to wonder if there is some type of feedback from the TV's jacks through the receiver that is causing the reboot.

Here are some tests that you can try:
1. Hook up the UPS to another outlet to bypass the existing outlet they are plugged into. That way all of the power is being provided by a different physical outlet.
2. Eliminate the UPS entirely to rule out the UPS.
3. Hook up the video directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver.
4. Trying an alternate form of video hookup (if you're using s-video, try composite or vice-versa)
5. Try hooking up the video connection to another port on your TV (If I had to make a guess I'd guess you have a 46" Sharp Aquos (or maybe a 52, lucky you!) which should have 1 svideo connection and 3 composite connections. Of course along that line perhaps you are using HDMI from the receiver to the TV?

If nothing works, what's the model of the TV? Perhaps a google might reveal others that have had similiar experiences.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had similar symptoms. For me, it turned out to be electrical.

I have an APC UPS and both the TV and TiVo were plugged into backed-up outlets.

After moving the television plug to a suppresed-but-not-backed-up outlet, the problem went away.

I did not end up needing to move the television cord to a separate circuit once I took it off the backed-up outlet. Which is good because there aren't any separate circuits within reasonable reach of the television.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DropIt said:
Yeah I'm still pretty confused. I went ahead and placed the TiVo on the bottom of my AV stack (now it's about two feet under the TV) and it the tivo is still rebooting, so I think the distance is not an issue. There is the possibility that cabling is carrying a signal though.

The only thing I can think of is the pull the TiVo out of the stack altogether and only connect the cables to the TV through the AV Receiver front Panel.

Just FYI the TV in general needs to be cold in order to have it reboot so I can't really perform multiple tests in a row, thus no solution yet.

Thanks for the input.
I am so glad I am not the only one. Just got a Samsung LCD and my Tivo is reseting when I turn the TV on, only a few times a week ,and only seems to be when its cold. We just made Tivo wireless and thought that could be the issue. please keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have on theory I have been working on this week, we have noticed that Tivo does not reset itself if we turn the TV on without the remote. Could there be something with the LCD TV remote that is different from regular TV remotes? could the beam be close enough in code to trick tivo sometimes? I was wondering if you tried this if you would have the same results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unforutnately the same is not true in my situation. I've been using the TV's power button on the TV itself, not the remote. Hope that's the reason in your case though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.