TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tivo Old timer
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my recent experience - I have a Series 3, and after a power outage here it never came back on. Figured it was the power supply. I've always had good experience with WeakKnees, but they wanted $99 for a new PS, plus return shipping. (They send you a refurbished one, charge you $199, then you send your old one back, and they refund $100). Instead I found someone on Ebay ("Dvrnerds") who paid shipping both ways and only charged $60. I sent him (Rodney) my PS, he replaced the capacitors, and returned it to me. He even send me a T8 bit as I didn't have one (I used a vise grip to remove the one T8 screw).

Anyway... my Series 3 is back up and running. I use it for OTA DVRing.

Andy, Denver CO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a Tivo HDXL sitting on my table open with what I assume is a bad power supply. Debating on trying to buy a new power supply for $50 to $60 (not going to spend $100 from WeakKnees) or just upgrading to Tivo Roamio for like $200 from Ebay. Debating which is the better option at this point. I have another Tivo HD that is still going strong since I bought it. I only use these for OTA broadcasts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided to get the Power Supply repaired at this point, as the Tivo is basically worthless while not working, but if it is working I'm guessing worth at least $100. I contacted the above guy (Ebay user name is actually velocdesign) and even though his listing for a new power supply was for a different model, he said he could do my model as well. And he even gave me $10 off as my model doesn't use as many capacitors. He was very responsive and easy to deal with.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,379 Posts
If folks are in the SF Bay Area needing a power supply, I guess I could sell an entire Tivo HD for relatively cheap.

Another TCF member sent it to me long ago and I paid for shipping which unfortunately turned out to be more than estimated. It has no active service and thus can't be activated now anyway, so it's basically a doorstop. I had booted it a bunch of times before and confirm it boots, outputs video and I could see the recordings on the drive.

Whenever I move, if it's not gone, the unit will probably go to e-waste.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
If folks are in the SF Bay Area needing a power supply, I guess I could sell an entire Tivo HD for relatively cheap.

Another TCF member sent it to me long ago and I paid for shipping which unfortunately turned out to be more than estimated. It has no active service and thus can't be activated now anyway, so it's basically a doorstop. I had booted it a bunch of times before and confirm it boots, outputs video and I could see the recordings on the drive.

You could probably sell the power supply by itself for more than you can sell the whole thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Hmm, my Tivo HD just died and I could probably just use the HDD and PS. Will DM you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need 3 series 3 HD power supplies repaired and cannot locate the ebay guy (velocdesign) who is mentioned in this thread, does anyone know how to reach him or does anyone have information about anyone that can do these repairs other than weaKnees? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need 3 series 3 HD power supplies repaired and cannot locate the ebay guy (velocdesign) who is mentioned in this thread, does anyone know how to reach him or does anyone have information about anyone that can do these repairs other than weaKnees? Thanks
His user name on ebay is velocedesign. Here is a link to his store on EBay. I was able to message him there and had great service from him repairing my Tivo XLHD Series 3 machine:

velocedesign on eBay

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
There's a guy in Raleigh that advertises LOW ESR caps for sale on the Raleigh Craigslist, and he did at least one re-cap job on someone's S3 power supply that I steered toward him--don't remember if there was shipping involved or just a drive over from Durham or something like that, but apparently everybody came out of the deal happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.