TiVo Community Forum banner

Do you usually just leave your TiVo running or put it in standby mode?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
*insert title here*
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turn my TV off and leave it running, but I'm curious what others do and if there's any benefits to doing either.

Lastly, it seems that the TiVo still records fine in standby mode so I'm curious what the difference is?

·
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
14,677 Posts
I put the Tivo into standby mode but that is only because I have roommates and have the Tivo in the common area. They don't touch my Tivo at all, which is a good thing, yet they can still watch TV whenever they want.

·
where is this place?
2,764 Posts
Einselen said:
I put the Tivo into standby mode but that is only because I have roommates and have the Tivo in the common area. They don't touch my Tivo at all, which is a good thing, yet they can still watch TV whenever they want.
Thats about the only use I see in using standby. I did that in my dorm room when I knew my roomate would want to watch TV and i wasn't going to be around. He wasn't tech savy and was affraid he would mess something up on the Tivo.

·
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
14,677 Posts
brnscofrnld said:
Thats about the only use I see in using standby. I did that in my dorm room when I knew my roomate would want to watch TV and i wasn't going to be around. He wasn't tech savy and was affraid he would mess something up on the Tivo.
Agreed. One roommate is tech savvy the other is not, so easier to do standby. Also then would have to fight what shows they want to record/watch and just too much stress. Before having roommates I would only put the Tivo into standby to watch live TV (gasp!) That was very rare instances, like for the BCS announcement earlier this year and other things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I share the TVs in the house with family members that channel surf like crazy. They don't need to TiVo while watching, so my recordings come out undisturbed. I have the boxes on A/V cables, and access TiVo on the Line input when I want to go over my recordings. I keep the boxes on standby, and when not watching my programs I leave the TV on the main cable input.

·
Registered
27,261 Posts
I put my Sony SVR-3000 into standby often, but only because it has a power switch on the remote (as well as the front panel) making it very convenient to do so.

On my other TiVo's I feel it's too inconvenient to go into the menu just to put it into standby.

·
*insert title here*
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
minckster said:
OP: Why did you choose to make this a public poll? That's not the default.
I made it public because I like information. There's no personal information to be gleaned from it, so why not? I kinda like seeing who answers to what.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
RonDawg said:
I put my Sony SVR-3000 into standby often, but only because it has a power switch on the remote (as well as the front panel) making it very convenient to do so.

On my other TiVo's I feel it's too inconvenient to go into the menu just to put it into standby.
Same here. My Toshiba SD-H400 has a standby(power) on the remote, so often in the process of turning everything off, I'll also turn it off. Just by habit.

Also out of habit, about the only time I put my Tivo brand 540040 on standby is when I am unglugging it for one reason or another.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Some units have a small power reduction when in standby. If memory serves, about 3 watts for the Series 3.

Standby will turn off the front displays, turn off the video out on the back, pass-through the coax signal from the cable in (if there's a coax out on the model), and let the unit know "i'm not watching" if it wants to start recording suggestions.

It's in my bedroom, so I put it in standby so it doesn't light up the room quite as much.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.