TiVo Community Forum banner

Where do you stand with Tivo?

• I still use it actively as my primary DVR

Votes: 172 71.1%
  • I still have a Tivo recording shows but it’s not my primary DVR

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • I still have a Tivo but it’s gathering dust

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • I have moved on to a cloud DVR service like YouTube TV / Hulu Live

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • I am full streaming using Apple TV / Roku or equivalent

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Something else - leave a comment to explain

Votes: 8 3.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of threads lately from those who will Still use Tivo untill it dies or those ran fast as soon as they saw another option.

So how about a poll to see where stand in this community .

Reactions: Jonathan_S

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I would note that the poll let me check two boxes. Was that intended behavior?

I suffered through ten years of crappy TWC/Spectrum support for Tuning Adapter before cutting cable and going to YTTV three years ago. The DVR functionality isn’t as pleasant as a TiVo but at least I don’t have to power-cycle a TA every few weeks or haggle about price increases and promotional rates. And I’m paying less too.

I‘m still running a Roamio base model (4 tuners) configured for OTA, just as a back up for local programming. But YTTV provides local stations and I usually go weeks or months between actually viewing anything on the TiVo.

The huge response that people are still using their TiVo’s is kind of a no-brainer since this is a TiVo forum after all. I assume most people who stop using their TiVo are unlikely to be viewing this forum.
Yea I allowed multiple responses for exactly the reason that there are people living in multiple worlds and a single answer would not have worked.

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In a post-TiVo world I'd vote instead to just change the forum name to "TCF". Doesn't stand for anything, just "TCF". :D
PTSD - Post Tivo Streaming Disorder

· Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Again, this is what's confusing me. If I keep Xfinity but switch to "Limited Basic" (just local major networks), why do I need an HD HomeRun at all, versus just using my Xfinity credentials to get access to the ABC, CBS, etc. live TV channels?

So, another question...I did buy a Raspberry Pi a while back (still in the box), but I also have an older MacBook Pro that's collecting dust. Installing/configuring the Channels DVR software would probably be a lot easier for me to do with the old MacBook. Make sense? Or should I really try to learn a bit more about Linux and getting this set up with my Raspberry Pi?

Also, hard drives...my old MacBook has one built in, but is probably too small. I also have a few external USB drives lying around. Any reason I should NOT try making use of one of them and should instead use something like this 4TB drive recommended on the Channels site (via their page about Raspberry Pi installation):
Well you save money by not paying for broadcast fees and get better resolution with HDHomerun than paying for Xfinity basic.
Also in my case I get a whole LOT more channels through my antenna than I did with Xfinity or YTTV!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts