TiVo Community Forum banner

Where do you stand with Tivo?

• I still use it actively as my primary DVR

Votes: 172 71.1%
  • I still have a Tivo recording shows but it’s not my primary DVR

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • I still have a Tivo but it’s gathering dust

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • I have moved on to a cloud DVR service like YouTube TV / Hulu Live

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • I am full streaming using Apple TV / Roku or equivalent

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Something else - leave a comment to explain

Votes: 8 3.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Our primary DVR is Channels DVR. Sources are an HDHR Prime (CableCARD) and PlayOn Cloud. I've also experimented with an HDHR Quatro and an HDHR 4K for OTA, but reception is unreliable during rainstorms, and I'm hoping ATSC 3.0 improves on that someday. For "cable" channels we'll probably migrate to Hulu Live TV as a source after CableCARDs go away.

Our trusty ol' TiVo Roamio Pro does backup recordings that we haven't needed once yet, but the Roamio also still occasionally gets used for live TV as there's nothing quite like the TiVo buffer, though Channels has won us over in at least one area of live TV at this point: it now indexes commercials if you start watching while a recording is in progress, rather than waiting until the recording is complete.

Viewing is done via Channels DVR client apps on Fire TV, Android, web browers, and the Windows 11 Android subsystem. Apple TV and iOS/iPad clients are also available. The Roamio Pro serves TiVo Mini 93000 units.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
What other options are there? I am happy with my OTA TiVO... is it the TiVO or the cable/ satellite that folks are tired of?

I would love to hear if there are better options available.
Channels DVR comes closest to replacing TiVo for OTA, cable, or — and this is unique — most of the streaming live TV services' channels (for when you don't like their cloud DVRs). I'm still primarily on cable with Channels DVR, with TiVo as a backup for now. Details upthread.

Reactions: MikeBear

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
I assume most people who stop using their TiVo are unlikely to be viewing this forum.
I suspect this forum will survive the demise of TiVo, though eventually the name will probably change. "DVR Community"? :LOL:

Many of us, including the OP, have moved on from TiVo but are still here for the discussions of content and other chat. That includes threads on TiVo alternatives like Channels DVR and Plex, or live TV streaming services such as YouTube TV and their cloud DVRs, and hybrid mashups thereof.

I selected two checkboxes in this poll: TiVo is no longer our primary DVR, and we have for the most part moved on to Channels DVR.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
My question is can you do that on streaming services!
It's possible to FF through Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime, but it's still nothing like TiVo. Channels DVR comes closest, with adjustable FF and REW hop times, and automatic commercial skip. So far nobody's found a way to get TNF from Prime into Channels DVR, but for other games Channels is great.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
While three of my four TiVo DVR's are still functional I do use them though without GoogleTV interface I'm moving to SiliconDust 4K FLEX and SERVIO as primary. Granted comparatively it's a much simpler interface without many of the recording options TiVo provided. It also doesn't reach out of home but then for several months neither did TiVo.

Since RIVO bought out TiVo I've grown disappointed.
Glad to see yet another happy SiliconDust HD HomeRun user here. You can add out-of-home access and more by using your 4K Flex with Channels DVR instead of a Servio. But either choice is a good way to prepare for the end of TiVo as we've known and loved it.

Reactions: mschnebly

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Reactions: jeff.c.sturm

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
The Channels app that others have mentioned sounds intriguing and the screenshots I've seen of it's UX look appealing, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of purchasing new hardware for that, and I worry about the over-the-air signal reliability.
You only mentioned over-the-air (OTA) that one time, so I'm not certain if you want or have OTA, or if you are aware that Channels DVR can also use YouTube TV as a source, among many others. You may find that Channels DVR provides a more familiar interface compared to YTTV's "cloud DVR". Certainly it will be clear that what's recorded is recorded, and that commercials can be skipped.

Yes, Channels DVR does require some least some minimal interest in basic hardware, and knowing a bit about the YTTV connection among other things. But I find it quite simple if you just want to use it to watch TV, instead of making the thing a hobby in and of itself as many do. I encourage you to take advantage of the free one-month trial with whatever PC or Mac you may have lying around (I use a Synology NAS), and I think you'll like the viewing app for Apple TV which is their flagship client platform.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Where I'm confused is that I see a lot of people talking about the use of HDHomeRun devices for either OTA or cablecard, but I've also seen some mention of using YouTube TV as a source. Right now I still have my Xfinity TV plan active (but hoping to either cancel or switch to Limited Basic).
You can combine any number of sources. Channels DVR automatically found the three HD HomeRuns on my network, including a Prime for cable and a 4K for OTA. I can also add a TVE source like Xfinity Stream or YouTube TV, and other internet sources (for example I have it automatically downloading from PlayOn Cloud for me, though that's not the kind of thing you were asking about).

If I was to switch my Xfinity TV plan to "Limited Basic" (which basically gives me just the local major networks like NBC, CBS, etc.) I know that I can use my Xfinity credentials to get access to watch live NBC TV on my computer or via the NBC app on my Apple TV. Can I also use those credentials in combination with Channels and the hardware needed to DVR shows tor record major network shows? (I've seen mention of "TV Everywhere" for Channels, and am not sure if that comes into play for this, or just for live TV only). Or do I still need extra hardware like an HDHomeRun box with OTA antenna or cablecard?
Receiving local stations via Channels DVR with TVE (Xfinity Stream, YouTube TV, or others) varies some via region (and as I recall PBS won't come in via Channels DVR on TVE at all lately) but with the right settings and a bit of luck they all come through. If you stay with Xfinity rather than YouTube TV, then it would be more of a no-brainer to use Channels DVR with an HD HomeRun Prime and CableCARD. Or, you can use Youtube TV plus an HD HomeRun Flex 4K for OTA to grab any missing locals, though as I said the local stations you want may all come through fine for you with YTTV as a source. Give it a try!

Channels Community provider support threads for Xfinity and YouTube TV:

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Again, this is what's confusing me. If I keep Xfinity but switch to "Limited Basic" (just local major networks), why do I need an HD HomeRun at all, versus just using my Xfinity credentials to get access to the ABC, CBS, etc. live TV channels?
TVE is confusing. And honestly, if you're staying with Xfinity, the easiest and cheapest choice is to stay with TiVo. I only suggested Channels DVR because you're already trying YouTube TV. In comparison to the YouTube TV online interface, Channels DVR is likely to generate a higher WAF (wife acceptance factor), lol.

The Channels DVR solution that makes use of TVE is a bit of a hack, and some stations — most often locals — sometimes can't be received that way. (The tl;dr details: Channels uses TVE to authenticate your account, but then relies on each station to offer an unencrypted web stream Channels DVR can download. The Xfinity Stream and YouTube TV apps do not work that way, and have no such problem.)

But you have a good chance of receiving everything you want. If not, adding an HD HomeRun and a small antenna could be all you need, maybe just for one missing channel.

So, another question...I did buy a Raspberry Pi a while back (still in the box), but I also have an older MacBook Pro that's collecting dust. Installing/configuring the Channels DVR software would probably be a lot easier for me to do with the old MacBook. Make sense? Or should I really try to learn a bit more about Linux and getting this set up with my Raspberry Pi?
I would do a temporary install on the MacBook, just to see if I even like Channels DVR. The client app on your Apple TV won't care. But if you decide to make Channels DVR your main DVR, then yes the RasPi would be a worthy project.

Also, hard drives...my old MacBook has one built in, but is probably too small. I also have a few external USB drives lying around. Any reason I should NOT try making use of one of them and should instead use something like this 4TB drive recommended on the Channels site (via their page about Raspberry Pi installation):
For the temporary MacBook install, watching live TV and recording just a few shows, you may not need an external drive. Adding one to the MacBook could be the second step, if you like Channels DVR. Third step would be a dedicated Rasberry Pi server, with that 4 TB drive, after you decide to keep Channels DVR.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
@srauly congratulations on getting Channels DVR going, and thanks for the report. I just realized we've taken this thread a bit off-topic — though this is a great example of how to move on from TiVo — and we should probably continue our conversation over on the Channels DVR thread now. I look forward to hearing of your further adventures with Channels DVR, live TV, and streaming, and to helping out more if I can.

Reactions: zalusky

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Now, Channels isn't without frustration. TVE channels timeout often and need to be reauthenticated. This can cause loss of recordings as you don't know of the failure until you see failed recordings. If they can't fix the reliability of recordings with TVE, it won't be a product for the mainstream. I don't want to be tinkering with the DVR weekly. I want it to be an appliance with little maintenance.
Let's note for posterity that in a post on the Channels DVR thread you report you've fixed this problem. Congratulations!

Reactions: bantar

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,857 Posts
Another option you might wish to consider (instead of using Channels, YouTube TV, Comcast, and/or TiVo) is DirecTV Stream. Like YouTube TV, they have an app that runs on your Apple TV, but the UI/UX is going to be more similar to a traditional cable DVR (like TiVo) than YouTube TV is. Whether it would be better overall for you than the other options you're trialling, obviously I don't know. Just wanted to throw it out there as another possibility for you to consider. (There also also two other major streaming cable TV services -- Hulu with Live TV and Fubo TV -- although I tend to think that DirecTV Stream is the most traditional in the way it works. Also, it's the only one to offer the full range of cable channels. That said, it is a little more expensive.)
I would still pair DirectTV Stream with Channels DVR. Commercial skip is at the top of my list of reasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts