TiVo Community Forum banner

Where do you stand with Tivo?

• I still use it actively as my primary DVR

Votes: 131 71.6%
  • I still have a Tivo recording shows but it’s not my primary DVR

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • I still have a Tivo but it’s gathering dust

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • I have moved on to a cloud DVR service like YouTube TV / Hulu Live

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • I am full streaming using Apple TV / Roku or equivalent

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • Something else - leave a comment to explain

Votes: 6 3.3%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of threads lately from those who will Still use Tivo untill it dies or those ran fast as soon as they saw another option.

So how about a poll to see where stand in this community .

Reactions: Jonathan_S

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
There have been a number of threads lately from those who will Still use Tivo untill it dies or those ran fast as soon as they saw another option.

So how about a poll to see where stand in this community .
I am using YouTubeTV for cable channels and a Romio Basic in OTA mode for local channels, though I also record them on YouTubeTV. I prefer watching them on the TiVo, since I can use Quick Mode and Autoskip. I have a cable only Roamio which is retired.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Using my Roamio Plus (circa 2015) on my main TV and need to set up my Bolt Vox in the bedroom (have a Mini A93, but it has the boot loop issue). Also have an S2-DT that I connect occasionally to keep it updated.

Daughter has a Bolt, Mom has a Bolt and Tivo HD, brother has a Bolt Vox.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,724 Posts
Our primary DVR is Channels DVR. Sources are an HDHR Prime (CableCARD) and PlayOn Cloud. I've also experimented with an HDHR Quatro and an HDHR 4K for OTA, but reception is unreliable during rainstorms, and I'm hoping ATSC 3.0 improves on that someday. For "cable" channels we'll probably migrate to Hulu Live TV as a source after CableCARDs go away.

Our trusty ol' TiVo Roamio Pro does backup recordings that we haven't needed once yet, but the Roamio also still occasionally gets used for live TV as there's nothing quite like the TiVo buffer, though Channels has won us over in at least one area of live TV at this point: it now indexes commercials if you start watching while a recording is in progress, rather than waiting until the recording is complete.

Viewing is done via Channels DVR client apps on Fire TV, Android, web browers, and the Windows 11 Android subsystem. Apple TV and iOS/iPad clients are also available. The Roamio Pro serves TiVo Mini 93000 units.

·
Finally an Avatar!
5,407 Posts
I believe the hard drive has died on my Roamio Pro as of this morning. I will have Weaknees attempt to fix it and if that doesn't work, I will buy an Edge on the Black Friday sale. I do have the Xfinity X1 box but I hate it (it's not a TiVo) and use it for only onbe thing - to watch Yellowstone.

Researching the Edge, I see references to the Live Guide v. the Grid Guide. I can't seem to find the difference.

·
I get paid 2watch TV
6,179 Posts
I still use my Bolt daily.
Recording from antenna content from CBS, ABC, FOX and CW, for some reason I can't get my local NBC station in my apartment, so I use my "free" DirecTV DVR.
I pay the apartment complex $95 a month for the "Entertainment Package" which includes Gigabit Fiber internet and basic DirecTV, I do have to pay $10 a month to be able to record, so I record NBC there, and a few other basic channels.
I was using my Bolt as my main streaming device, but when they disabled Hulu (which never worked right anyway), I got a 4K Roku and mainly use that for streaming content.
I still have a Roamio as well, was used back in the day for overflow when I was recording too much content OTA, but it mainly sits idle now.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,091 Posts
Use my Bolt+ daily. Watch some of my content via a TiVo Mini A93 in another room. Previously, was also watching some content downstairs on a TiVo Mini A92 I bought used, originally a spare in case my A93 dies.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I’m not clear on what primary DVR means — what’s used to record and watch what was record, or the primary device used for viewing content including live TV? I still watch mostly live TV and channel surf, so I use my TiVo for that so I picked I still use it as my primary DVR. But for watching things later, I try to use the streaming apps or Channels DVR as much as I can. I only use TiVo to watch recordings not available through those options.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I’m not clear on what primary DVR means — what’s used to record and watch what was record, or the primary device used for viewing content including live TV? I still watch mostly live TV and channel surf, so I use my TiVo for that so I picked I still use it as my primary DVR. But for watching things later, I try to use the streaming apps or Channels DVR as much as I can. I only use TiVo to watch recordings not available through those options.
It says "Primary DVR", so I would think you would categorize yourself as: "I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent". I really don't even see live TV as an option. It is a good question! By default, the TiVo is showing live TV when not playing back recordings. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
It says "Primary DVR", so I would think you would categorize yourself as: "I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent". I really don't even see live TV as an option. It is a good question! By default, the TiVo is showing live TV when not playing back recordings. :unsure:
Yeah, I think the thread title and poll can be interpreted as asking different things. I've definitely moved on to other solutions for what I used to use the DVR feature of a TiVo. But the thread title asks if we still use TiVo, and TiVo is what I still primarily use to consume content.

ETA: And I changed my vote to "I still have a Tivo recording shows but it’s not my primary DVR" and "I have moved onto another hardware DVR solution like Channels DVR or equivalent", since I can pick more than one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are just this week making the change to YouTube TV and moving off of TiVo. Our verizon cable cost was just no longer making sense after another price hike. We have gigabit ethernet, so the quality is very close to linear channels, and with the YT cloud dvr, you can record your regular programs and skip through commercials. The downside (but this is true for cable VOD as well) is watching programs you didn't record will cause you to have to sit through commercials. We've been loyal TIvo customers since it was released, but it just doesn't make cost sense when most of what we watch is available to stream. After doing a fair amount of research, the move to YouTube TV seemed to make the most sense for live news shows and other programming not available with other streamers. And the savings in combine with moving our cell service to Verizon will save us about 2K a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have been tivo users for 20+ years. This week, we finally decided to pull the plug. Our main tivo bolt has been giving us trouble lately and I am tired of dealing with two tivo boxes, two tivo minis, two tuning adapters and two cable cards. Plus, the tivo app / web access can be troublesome.

We now use amazon firesticks on each tv and have created a youtubetv account. So far, so good. There has definitely been a learning curve, but, this setup is working well. The youtubetv access via our laptops and phones is way better than tivo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m mainly using TiVo still just because I had lifetime service on the type of Bolt that could do either antenna or cable. I dropped cable about a year ago and hired Dish Network’s antenna install business to do a good rooftop install since indoor antennas weren’t doing very well. Antenna reception is pretty reliable most of the time now.

I haven’t missed cable at all because of the antenna recordings but mostly because I’ve always found good deals on most of the major streaming services. My wife and kids exclusively use AppleTV boxes for streaming services and almost never use the TiVo so if that ever stops working, I think Channels DVR would be my #1 preference so we can just watch everything on one box with the Channels app on AppleTV.

It’s quite frustrating and sad to see how the Bolt that was billed as an all-in-one box has had its streaming app support neglected to the point that a loyal customer like me is ready to move on. I’ve had TiVo ever since I had a Sony-branded first gen box (other than a frustrating few years with DIRECTV).

·
Registered
9 Posts
TiVo is still way better than any streaming service I have tried. Especially when it comes to pause, play, skipping ahead 30 sec, skipping back 10 seconds.

We are "active tv watchers" meaning that we often pause to discuss what we are seeing, then rewind 10 sec & continue. The streaming services are terrible for that. So terrible that when we do what we do - it may exit the show instead of just pausing & rewinding. This has happened to us doing streaming via FireStick, TiVo, Roku, & AppleTV. Yes, we have those devices but for the reasons described we don't use them. TiVo wins. It's a much better experience.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts