TiVo Community Forum banner
741 - 760 of 793 Posts

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
I'm watching Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix and noticed a couple of things for some reason. Everybody has perfect teeth, no missing teeth. Everybody seems to have 20-20 vision. Maybe it's a misconception on my part but I usually expect most Scandinavians to have blonde or blonde-ish hair. Seems like no Viking on this show does.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
I'm watching Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix and noticed a couple of things for some reason. Everybody has perfect teeth, no missing teeth. Everybody seems to have 20-20 vision. Maybe it's a misconception on my part but I usually expect most Scandinavians to have blonde or blonde-ish hair. Seems like no Viking on this show does.
As I like to say, Norwegians aren't Vikings. Norwegians are what was left over after all the Vikings had left. ;)

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
In a two minute long diatribe!
I've been watching a number of British dramas lately and the bad guy always seems to confess in exquisite detail at the end. They also sometimes confess to the good guy with nobody else around to witness the confession but never contest it later on when it would jus "My word vs. his".

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
I've been watching a number of British dramas lately and the bad guy always seems to confess in exquisite detail at the end. They also sometimes confess to the good guy with nobody else around to witness the confession but never contest it later on when it would jus "My word vs. his".
My favorite examples of this are James Bond movies and the original Batman TV series. In both, while the good guy is captured and is about to be inflicted with deadly harm, the bad guy will make a speech about how bad he is, the crime he's committed (or going to commit) and how he's going to kill the good guy.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
My favorite examples of this are James Bond movies and the original Batman TV series. In both, while the good guy is captured and is about to be inflicted with deadly harm, the bad guy will make a speech about how bad he is, the crime he's committed (or going to commit) and how he's going to kill the good guy.
There's even a counter-trope that's developed, where the hero mocks the villain for "monologuing."

· Registered
1,844 Posts
There's even a counter-trope that's developed, where the hero mocks the villain for "monologuing."
The Incredibles play on this one when Syndrome is monologging to a captured Mr. Incredible and then catches himself and says "You got me monologging". very funny.

· Registered
3,146 Posts
To carry this further, in Batman in particular, the infliction of deadly harm is some elaborate Rube-Goldberg type of device. Batman and Robin are attached to it while the main villain actually leaves, assuming all will go to plan! If you're the villain and concocted this clever, convoluted contraption to finally kill Batman, wouldn't you want to stay and watch?

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
To carry this further, in Batman in particular, the infliction of deadly harm is some elaborate Rube-Goldberg type of device. Batman and Robin are attached to it while the main villain actually leaves, assuming all will go to plan! If you're the villain and concocted this clever, convoluted contraption to finally kill Batman, wouldn't you want to stay and watch?
And of course, us the viewer won't know what will actually happen until the next episode....same bat time...same bat channel!!

· The Question
10,725 Posts
My favorite examples of this are James Bond movies and the original Batman TV series. In both, while the good guy is captured and is about to be inflicted with deadly harm, the bad guy will make a speech about (...) how he's going to kill the good guy.
And then he walks away, expecting his elaborate machine to kill the good guy. Now, I could understand that if the villain needed to establish an alibi or he was squeamish or something, but that never seems to be the case...

· Just someone
14,197 Posts
And then he walks away, expecting his elaborate machine to kill the good guy. Now, I could understand that if the villain needed to establish an alibi or he was squeamish or something, but that never seems to be the case...
Especially since Batman has escaped his death machines before.

· Premium Member
9,709 Posts
I feel like this has been mocked on the big screen before. ;)

(I only went back a few pages in the thread to ensure this wasn't posted recently, I suspect it may have been posted sometime in the thread's long history)

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
If someone in a fight is holding a deadly weapon, banging their hand against something will cause them to drop the weapon and lead to a pure hand-to-hand fight.

[edit] may be a smeek, but just saw "Plane." Thought of this thread. This is common on gazillions of tv shows and movies.

[edit] is this a real thing? I've been trained in weapons (m16, .45, 12-gauge in the Navy), and in hand-to-hand combat (Navy, Quantico), but never this. From my limited XP, I'd think I'd do everything possible to avoid dropping my weapon.

741 - 760 of 793 Posts