TiVo Community Forum banner
721 - 740 of 793 Posts

· Registered
17,673 Posts
While I would prefer a single door on top, I guess the wide models are too wide to have a single door. I'm not a fan of the French door.

I am a fan of the bottom freezer, though. I feel like ours has tons of space and I am in the regular section of the fridge far more often than the freezer. I like not having to bend over every time I need to get stuff out of the fridge.
Also a fan of the bottom freezer. I'm getting stuff in and out of the fridge more often, and I'm tall enough that the top freezer blocks my line of sight into much of the fridge. So when I had one I was always having to stoop over to see and reach into the fridge for things. (n)

Sure, now I have to bend over to pick things out out of the bottom freezer's drawers -- but I'm doing that less often and at least because they pull out I don't need to get that low to see what's in there.

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
I am a fan of the bottom freezer, though. I feel like ours has tons of space and I am in the regular section of the fridge far more often than the freezer. I like not having to bend over every time I need to get stuff out of the fridge.
This. I don't understand the appeal of a top freezer. I'm in the fridge an order of magnitude more than in the freezer so if I have to stoop I prefer it to be for the function I'm least likely to use.

· Señor Member
78,839 Posts
In general, I like the bottom freezer. But the top drawer in ours does not extend all the way out, leaving too much area under the "ledge" (for want of a better word) that it hard to see and reach.

· Dumb Blond
39,337 Posts
Top freezer models tend to be more energy efficient. Many bottom freezer models let all the cold air spill out when the drawer is opened (some have closed-side/bottom drawers and don't do this.) Nowadays, top-freezer models are almost always at the low-end of a manufacturer's line and lack features people may want.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
I'm with you. I still use a top-freezer refrigerator because that is the design I like best.

In my garage I have one of those bottom freezer, french door top, units and I HATE it. The freezer on bottom is like having a very small chest freezer. I have to dig stuff out to find anything that's not right on top. It just sucks all around, and it seems like there is just so little space.

The only way I'd do a side-by-side would be if I had a HUGE space in my kitchen to put one of those larger ones that actually have plenty of space. The regular size ones are just too narrow. Meanwhile, I still really like the design of freezer on top.
My wife talked me into a French Door fridge for our current one and I have hated it since day one. She thought we'd get more freezer space, but we got way less. We ended up having to buy a chest freezer to increase our freezer storage capacity. When this one goes, hopefully we'll go back to a traditional top loading freezer. Of course if we decide we want the latest and greatest features the options are limited to French Door or a few side by side.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
This. I don't understand the appeal of a top freezer. I'm in the fridge an order of magnitude more than in the freezer so if I have to stoop I prefer it to be for the function I'm least likely to use.
The appeal to me is that the bottom freezers is always a slide out drawer and stuff gets buried on the bottom so it's difficult to organize. The top freezer has a door and is designed to better organize stuff. I get the "bend down to find stuff" in the fridge, so we used to put the stuff we used more often on the higher shelves. Plus we are short, so we don't have to bend down so much :)

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
The appeal to me is that the bottom freezers is always a slide out drawer and stuff gets buried on the bottom so it's difficult to organize. The top freezer has a door and is designed to better organize stuff. I get the "bend down to find stuff" in the fridge, so we used to put the stuff we used more often on the higher shelves. Plus we are short, so we don't have to bend down so much :)
Also, a top freezer has a shelf within and inside-door shelves.

BTW, one thing I've done when I last got a new unit was to keep some of the parts from the previous one such as shelf dividers, ice bin, etc. I first asked the guy what they do with the one they remove and they told me they just recycle it. I found having those extra parts very handy. I don't use an ice maker, anyway, and had it removed the last couple of times so I use the ice bin for other uses inside.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·

BTW, one thing I've done when I last got a new unit was to keep some of the parts from the previous one such as shelf dividers, ice bin, etc. I first asked the guy what they do with the one they remove and they told me they just recycle it. I found having those extra parts very handy. I don't use an ice maker, anyway, and had it removed the last couple of times so I use the ice bin for other uses inside.
I use the fruit bin from my last fridge on our storage shelf in our garage. I currently is filled with roles of different types of tape.

· Registered
4,467 Posts

My mid-80s Kenmore did not have a shelf in the freezer. :(

I did save a shelf from another freezer and was going to retrofit it into my freezer, but never got around to doing it before I replaced the fridge.

· Registered
17,673 Posts
To each their own.
In my experience I lost way more things in the back of a top freezer (especially if it has a shelf so it's got a relatively low, but deep, bottom shelf) than I do in the drawers of my current bottom freezer.

Something in the drawer can't be more than 6" from sight; and boxes of frozen stuff can be lined up on their sides in the top drawer so I can read what each of them is at once when the drawer is pulled out; while something in the back of a top freezer might have 15" of stuff in front of it obscuring it from view.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
The way threads drift can be really interesting. I wonder if anybody's ever done a PhD thesis on it? ;)
You're elected!! :)

You're right, and sometimes the drifts can go on for pages. I don't mind it though, it's like any other conversation, it starts in one place and goes in whatever direct it goes.

Funny, I actually had to check the thread title to remember what this thread was (and I started it!).

· Premium Member
26,103 Posts
In the Great Freezer Debate, I choose bottom freezer.
Same here. French doors, bottom freezer. Samsung.

I organized the bottom freezer main drawer so the left is meats and proteins, the right is vegetables, and the top drawer is for random other things that don't fit the meat/vegs sections like ice cream or butter. Works really well.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
I'm also impressed with how often when they're lying in bed, the sheet somehow covers her to above the breasts but him only above the waist...
My favorite is they just had wild sex, they're done, and she sits up. As she does, she holds the sheet to her body to cover her breasts. I always want the guy to ask what she's doing.

· Omega Consumer
10,581 Posts
I was shocked to learn that people in Texas keep it at 72 degrees year round and some people complained 77 was too warm. I can't imagine going from a 72 degree room to outside when it's 90 - too much of a jump. (Though if I lived in Texas, I'd probably keep it at 80 to still be cool and refreshing and be adapted enough so the 90 degrees outside wouldn't feel like I need to rush back inside).

And y es, I was sorely disappointed when "Auto" mode on my thermostat didn't let me set a range so it'll heat when it got colder than 67 and cool when it got warmer than 77.
I can be comfortable at 77 if the humidity is low, but an oversized AC often won't run enough to control the humidity in humid parts of the country so you have a much lower set point to feel comfortable. Likewise, a humidifier in winter lets you keep the house a little cooler.

My thermostat has separate set points for heat and cool (70-/75), it's a great feature.

· Registered
467 Posts
I was shocked to learn that people in Texas keep it at 72 degrees year round and some people complained 77 was too warm. I can't imagine going from a 72 degree room to outside when it's 90 - too much of a jump. (Though if I lived in Texas, I'd probably keep it at 80 to still be cool and refreshing and be adapted enough so the 90 degrees outside wouldn't feel like I need to rush back inside).
I find 80 to be far from "cool and refreshing". It is uncomfortably warm. I have a house dehumidifier tied into the central air to keep the inside humidity around 45-50% and still find a temp above 75 uncomfortable, anything above 80 is unpleasant. Summer is miserable for me here in OK... :) To be fair, I know I am out of the norm. I open my windows in the winter, keep my thermostat set at 60, and sometimes allow it to drop below 50 overnight. If it wasn't for family, I'd likely live much further north and/or at much higher elevations.

721 - 740 of 793 Posts