TiVo Community Forum banner
701 - 720 of 793 Posts

· Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Maybe not a plot trope, but whenever there's a sex scene, the next morning, the "away" party just wakes up, puts their clothes back on (and sometimes without undies), and leaves, all "ready for work". No shower, no "washing up".. just like "yup, gotta busy day today, maybe see you later? Bye!"

· I'm back!
36,169 Posts
I find it interesting that after a couple has had wild sex and are relaxing afterward the woman is wearing bra-and-panties and the man is wearing boxers. Makes me wonder whether there was a point at which the clothing was removed.

· Registered
3,990 Posts
And women tend to keep their bras on all night.
Not "knowing" that many women, but they all took their bras off as soon as they could, let alone keeping it on through bedtime.
There used to be a thing called a "sleeping bra" about which big lingerie tried to tell women that it would prevent Cooper's droop. I don't know whether medical science or the "burn the bra" movement killed it, but it's been gone for a long time. Except when people sleep together on TV.

· Registered
3,146 Posts
I don't know if that's a trope or not. I always sleep without a shirt regardless of the season. my house has AC and heat. so it's always comfortable.
I'm always surprised when people don't cook in summer or put on heavier sleepwear in winter as if they live in a cabin off the grid somewhere. Our house is kept at similar temps all year through the marvels of A/C and heat.

Back to the sleeping together trope - after a night of sex you often see the woman going to great lengths to cover up with the sheet when sitting up or getting out of bed, as if the guy hasn't seen anything while he, as mentioned previously, is throwing clothes on directly from bed to go to an important meeting.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
Back to the sleeping together trope - after a night of sex you often see the woman going to great lengths to cover up with the sheet when sitting up or getting out of bed, as if the guy hasn't seen anything while he, as mentioned previously, is throwing clothes on directly from bed to go to an important meeting.
I'm also impressed with how often when they're lying in bed, the sheet somehow covers her to above the breasts but him only above the waist...

· Premium Member
26,103 Posts
I'm always surprised when people don't cook in summer or put on heavier sleepwear in winter as if they live in a cabin off the grid somewhere. Our house is kept at similar temps all year through the marvels of A/C and heat.
It matters when you have to get up and walk around the house or let the dogs out. I turn the heat(or A/C) down in the first floor while we're sleeping, and it can get pretty cool (or warm) down there when the upstairs is a comfortable year-round temperature. Also, in the rare event of an emergency and you literally have to run out of the house, if it's winter, I'd be pretty damn happy to have my flannel jammies on and not just boxers -- which would be just fine in a summer emergency.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
Changing the...ummm...subject, we seem to be getting "Friends" type apartments/houses for people who's jobs wouldn't normally be able to afford. In The Flight Attendant for example, Cassie's apartment is way too fancy, filled with upscale furniture and is pretty big considering her job and the city she's now living in, but of course they have to throw in the 1950s style refrigerator, to show that "maybe" she's living within her means.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
Changing the...ummm...subject, we seem to be getting "Friends" type apartments/houses for people who's jobs wouldn't normally be able to afford. In The Flight Attendant for example, Cassie's apartment is way too fancy, filled with upscale furniture and is pretty big considering her job and the city she's now living in, but of course they have to throw in the 1950s style refrigerator, to show that "maybe" she's living within her means.
That's pretty much always been the case. If they lived in a reasonably-sized place, it would be almost impossible to film there. (The first time I noticed it was Flashdance, but obviously the trope is much older than that!

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
That's pretty much always been the case. If they lived in a reasonably-sized place, it would be almost impossible to film there. (The first time I noticed it was Flashdance, but obviously the trope is much older than that!
I get that having a "big" place makes it easier to film, but the furniture is all upscale, the decorations are all upscale, not to mention as a flight attendant, she'd hardly be home, so why invest money like that? So to me, it's a TV trope. That's fine, just pointing it out.

· Coney Island Small
26,681 Posts
Maybe not a plot trope, but whenever there's a sex scene, the next morning, the "away" party just wakes up, puts their clothes back on (and sometimes without undies), and leaves, all "ready for work". No shower, no "washing up".. just like "yup, gotta busy day today, maybe see you later? Bye!"
Different but related - I saw this on a Buzzfeed list (by accident of course):

After a couple has sex they both just roll over and go to sleep, completely ignoring the huge mess they just made.

· Nice to see you
9,038 Posts
...but of course they have to throw in the 1950s style refrigerator, to show that "maybe" she's living within her means.
If they really wanted to show someone "living within their means," it wouldn't be a 1950s-style refrigerator, it would be a beat-up mid-2000s top-freezer Kenmore that came with the apartment.

· Registered
4,467 Posts
If they really wanted to show someone "living within their means," it wouldn't be a 1950s-style refrigerator, it would be a beat-up mid-2000s top-freezer Kenmore that came with the apartment.
I resent that remark. :D

Had a [not beat-up] mid 1980s top-freezer Kenmore until a few years ago. I only replaced it because I got a newer [not beat-up] mid 2000s top-freezer Whirlpool from my parents when they sold their house.

I actually could have gotten a newer french door bottom freezer from them, but I don't really like the design.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
I resent that remark. :D

Had a [not beat-up] mid 1980s top-freezer Kenmore until a few years ago. I only replaced it because I got a newer [not beat-up] mid 2000s top-freezer Whirlpool from my parents when they sold their house.

I actually could have gotten a newer french door bottom freezer from them, but I don't really like the design.
I'm with you. I still use a top-freezer refrigerator because that is the design I like best.

In my garage I have one of those bottom freezer, french door top, units and I HATE it. The freezer on bottom is like having a very small chest freezer. I have to dig stuff out to find anything that's not right on top. It just sucks all around, and it seems like there is just so little space.

The only way I'd do a side-by-side would be if I had a HUGE space in my kitchen to put one of those larger ones that actually have plenty of space. The regular size ones are just too narrow. Meanwhile, I still really like the design of freezer on top.

· Librocubicularist
23,456 Posts
While I would prefer a single door on top, I guess the wide models are too wide to have a single door. I'm not a fan of the French door.

I am a fan of the bottom freezer, though. I feel like ours has tons of space and I am in the regular section of the fridge far more often than the freezer. I like not having to bend over every time I need to get stuff out of the fridge.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
Well, we let our house go between bigger differences - it's usually around 67 degrees in the winter and 77 in the summer. It means for me I sleep on the covers in summer and under them in the winter. Plus it doesn't run up the bills too much with heating or cooling - when its warm outside, even at 77 it's nice cool and refreshing inside. If I need just a bit more cooling, a fan works wonders.

I was shocked to learn that people in Texas keep it at 72 degrees year round and some people complained 77 was too warm. I can't imagine going from a 72 degree room to outside when it's 90 - too much of a jump. (Though if I lived in Texas, I'd probably keep it at 80 to still be cool and refreshing and be adapted enough so the 90 degrees outside wouldn't feel like I need to rush back inside).

And y es, I was sorely disappointed when "Auto" mode on my thermostat didn't let me set a range so it'll heat when it got colder than 67 and cool when it got warmer than 77.

I can understand 72 for somewhere like coastal California where it's basically around that year-round...

701 - 720 of 793 Posts