TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new user. I don't have a phone line (and none of my friends do either, we are bunch 20-somethings who only have cell phones) and I am trying to set up Tivo via a Linksys USB100M, my cable modem, and a linksys BEFSR41 router. I also have a linksys WAP but its currently unplugged so that I can try to get Tivo working.

I tried hooking it directly to the router, that did not work. "No connection" error.
I tried hooking it directly to the cable modem, same result.

The only thing I can think of is that my router is not connected to a PC, its just a stand alone unit. I set it up almost a year ago and quite honestly I don't remember exactly what I did.

If I need to look at my router settings, I would appreciate it if somebody could suggest a way to go about doing that.

Thanks,

hsckris

·
Pawn in game of life
595 Posts
This would be best posted in the TiVo Help Area... but I'll try to help. First we'll need to know what version of the software is on your TiVo box. You can get this by going into "Settings" and "System Information". We also need to know if this is a stand-alone TiVo or a Direct TV TiVo.

Then tell us what, specifically you've tried.

If it's a new enough software version, Guided Setup permits the use of network devices.

If not, have you tried setting the dialing prefix to ,#401 (comma-pound-4-0-1) and disabling Dial tone detection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its brand new as in I just got it Saturday shipped from my father-in-law so I don't know if he got it at a retail store or direct from Tivo. I couldn't find the software version in the box or paperwork.

It is a Tivo TCD540040 40 hour unit manufactured by Tivo itself.

I don't think I can go to settings since the Tivo will not get past the setup process.

I have tried the ,#401 in just the dial settings, in just the call-waiting settings, in both and in neither. None of them worked.

And as I said above I tried running straight to the cable modem and straight to the router. Neither worked. I have not tried with a PC hooked up as I don't have another patch cable or Cat5 or anything that will work for that matter (I can always get one if necessary).

So I think that is everything, PLEASE if someone knows what I need to do help me. Its not fun having a birthday present you can use with boxes and networking components drowning your living room, haha.

Oh, and my computer registers a DHCP address... so I'm assuming that means my router is DHCP enabled. (could be wrong?)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
If a PC attached to the router is able to access the internet, through a DHCP configuration, so should your TiVo, assuming it has a late enough software release. I don't know what version of the software ships on a TCD540XXX, but if there is no option to use a network or broadband connection in the configuration, then you're probably going to have to take it someplace you can get a dial-up connection in order to complete setup, and/or get it upgraded to version 7.2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan Collins said:
if there is no option to use a network or broadband connection in the configuration, then you're probably going to have to take it someplace you can get a dial-up connection in order to complete setup, and/or get it upgraded to version 7.2.
Does that mean that the ,#401 thing won't work at all? I was thinking perhaps I was just doing something wrong.

As far as DHCP... when I go to command prompt, run ipconfig /all, it gives me a dhcp address with my laptop plugged in hardline... thats where I got that from.

Is there anything else I can try or do? I really don't have any friends with phone lines and all of the other ones available to me are digital.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.