TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this tivoweb module, and made a few minor edits (it didn't work for me initially) and also got the mp3 player to downsample so it now plays without stuttering on my 3 tivos. The poor old 50Mhz processor still struggles, but just about manages.

Installation:

Copy madplay and ps to /var/hack/bin
Copy libm.so to /lib
Copy mp3.itcl to tivoweb modules directory.

Make a directory /var/mp3 and put a few mp3s in there

Restart tivoweb.

You should now have an MP3 menu in tivoweb top menu.

Click play to play selected mp3, stop to stop it etc

[edit] forum doesn't like attachments >100k so full package is here (264k)
[edit] Small update - no longer needs "ls" installed

Attachments

·
The 96 YNWA
1,668 Posts
Looks cool, I'l try it out. Thank you.

One (possibly quite stupid) question if I may:

If I change the line set mp3dir "/var/mp3" so that it points to my NAS, would it work?

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrianHughes: It plays through the TV - the tivo is doing all the work.

Raisltin: If you have your NAS mounted within the tivo filesystem with NFS or Samba, then yes.. but you probably haven't ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Works great. Took a little while to track down Madplay & libm (lots of dead links) but eventually found them & it works well...as long as there is no load on the processor!

Cheers,

Martin

·
The 96 YNWA
1,668 Posts
mikerr said:
Raisltin: If you have your NAS mounted within the tivo filesystem with NFS or Samba, then yes.. but you probably haven't ;)
:D you're absolutely right. Do you know of a link that will explain this to me, please?

·
Only a TiVo will do.
155 Posts
fearby said:
At least not on the version I am running..........
:rolleyes:

v1.3.1 that is
I'm running v1.3.1 and all that happens on clicking "Play" is that you are taken to the TiVo menu as though you have just pressed the TiVo button on the remote. "Stop" doesn't appear at all......

EDIT: Ahh - fixed it. For some reasons the paths were not working, so I set the paths for "ps" and "madplay" to /var/hack/bin and all's well... Wicked!!

EDIT2: Now I've lost my "bongs" on remote key press, although live TV sound is OK.........

·
Registered
545 Posts
randap said:
I'm running v1.3.1 and all that happens on clicking "Play" is that you are taken to the TiVo menu as though you have just pressed the TiVo button on the remote. "Stop" doesn't appear at all......

EDIT: Ahh - fixed it. For some reasons the paths were not working, so I set the paths for "ps" and "madplay" to /var/hack/bin and all's well... Wicked!!

EDIT2: Now I've lost my "bongs" on remote key press, although live TV sound is OK.........
I lost my bongs as well but it just needs a reboot & all is well.

Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts
randap said:
For some reasons the paths were not working, so I set the paths for "ps" and "madplay" to /var/hack/bin and all's well... Wicked!!
Can I ask how to set the paths like you describe? :confused:

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just re-download the module in the first post

I've uploaded a newer version which is now hardcoded to /var/hack/bin,
previously it required them to be in your unix path.

I don't think the "bong issue" is curable without a new version of madplay (and I didn't compile that). I have them turned off anyway.

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Attached is a standalone version running in the tivo GUI - much more useful than the tivoweb module

Install:

Make sure you have newtext2osd installed in /var/hack/bin

Copy madplay and ps to /var/hack/bin
Copy libm.so to /lib
run ./mp3.tcl

Make a directory /var/mp3 and put a few mp3s in there

Usage:

Press 7 on the remote when in now-playing to bring up the menu
PageUp &
PageDown to scroll the list
Press 1 2 or 3 to play each song
Press 7 to stop playing, or press live-tv

Automatically stops when you enter live-tv or play a recording

It does need the MWSTATE bug fix installed - just run the attached script
(ONLY run that fix on UK Tivo !)

forum doesn't like attachments >100k so full package inc madplay can be downloaded here (264k)

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is great. I installed it, tested & remarked to my wife "Is there anything TiVo can't do!" to which she rolled her eyes & asked me why I wanted to play MP3's on TiVo when I have a home brew, networked HTPC & a Philips Streamium, both within 2 feet of the Tivo. Cue some backtracking as to my previous justifications on the outlay for those items in the past. It also shot down any chances of my bidding for the 'is it or isn't it' TiVo off ebay earlier.

Martin

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I'm honest it's why we have a house at all rather than a pile of gadgets in a lock up somewhere.

MIKERR: I have placed 4 mp3's in the directory as suggested & only one shows up on the menu. Is there a reason for this. Possibly file name length or format. Can you have a think about this please?

Thanks again for a great app.

Martin

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've changed the code for reading filenames now, I think it was choking on certian charactrs in filenames - have another go.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts