TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this isn't necessarily a TIVO question, more so a DirecTV question that i figure some of y'all might be able to help on. I don't have satellite. My dad does. And he's wanting a DVR. I have TIVO (on cable) and love it but know that Directv doesn't offer TIVO anymore. So he's going to get the Directv R15 or HR20.

Question #1: He doesn't have an HD TV yet, so can he use the HR20 on an existing regular TV and then whenever he does get around to upgrading TVs, his receiver will be ready for HD? What are the downsides to using an HD receiver on a standard def TV?

Question #2: What kind of dish does he need to get? Right now he has a basic setup with one LNB dish with 1 receiver (both are 10 years old). Will he have to upgrade the dish? Meaning more LNBs and more coax going into the house?

Question #3: What are the additional charges for going DVR? Monthly cost of unit? Extra LNBs? DVR cabability?

Question #4: Being a cable person and not having to use them, could someone explain multiplexers and diplexers and how they are used on a dish system?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have 12 lines possible but only one dish with 3 or 5 NLBs? Surely you don't mean that you have 12 independent lines that can all be on different channels at the same time. I guess i just don't understand how you can use 12 lines without stepping on the toes of another TV. I guess I understand that you are splitting one of the lines and forming two out of it.

With it being split I'm guessing you are allowing more than one receiver controlling that one NLB line? Meaning that if both receivers are on at the same time using that one NLB, then they both have to be on the same channel?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.