TiVo Community Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
kquickle said:
Also, I ALWAYS get the audio and video "stutter" or "quick freeze" while watching live TV when I switch channels. Only when I change channels, though. Almost like the buffer is not starting soon enough and it needs to freeze for just a moment in order to "pick-up" that extra second to start the buffer. This is ALWAYS and CONSTANT - but also another topic!
i've had this from the get go too, kquickle.

it dosen't bother me though, unlike the dropouts afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
avdiscolo said:
Does anyone here think they've solved their "blank out" issue?

DirecTV is coming out to my house for the second time tomorrow to try to fix this issue. After trying 3 different units in 4 weeks, I'm not holding my breath.
Sadly,I don't think this issue will ever be resolved. (At least with the equipment we all currently own) First, DirecTV will have to acknowledge there is a problem, and so far they really haven't. Is it the locals causing the problems? The compression used? MPEG2 faults through the multi-switch on the LNB? There are so many variables - and DirecTV thinks "no one else is complaining."

If you get a repair, or at least information from the service call, please be sure to post it here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in what happens.

TimmyVan

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never had these issues when I first got my HR10-250 over a year ago. Mine is from the original batch, the drive failed after the first 3 months and I installed my own replacement drive because D* was 100% unreasonable with diagnosing my dead Tivo. I also had to replace my multi-switch the first year once the winter months hit, my switch could not handle temps below 17 degrees.

I don't rememeber exactly when this started but I would guess 4-5 months ago? I know it did NOT exist when D* first started adding the NY locals on the MPEG2 feed.

Last night I watched Idol live and it had only one water like sound issue for 2 seconds. I did reboot my Tivo the previous day to see if that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The DirecTV technician that came out to my house this morning hooked up an S-video cable between my HD10-250 and my TV to determine whether something to do with my TV could be causing the blackouts. When he replayed the very same recordings that had many blackouts at a lower definition, the blackouts went away completely.

I have a 5-year-old Sony HDTV that has only component inputs for HD that must be run at 1080i, so I'm kind of out of luck for HD in this configuration.

My conclusion is that there is either something wrong with the 1080i conversion in the HD10-250, or some interaction between the HD10-250 and my TV running at 1080i that is causing the blackouts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
avdiscolo said:
The DirecTV technician that came out to my house this morning hooked up an S-video cable between my HD10-250 and my TV to determine whether something to do with my TV could be causing the blackouts. When he replayed the very same recordings that had many blackouts at a lower definition, the blackouts went away completely.

I have a 5-year-old Sony HDTV that has only component inputs for HD that must be run at 1080i, so I'm kind of out of luck for HD in this configuration.

My conclusion is that there is either something wrong with the 1080i conversion in the HD10-250, or some interaction between the HD10-250 and my TV running at 1080i that is causing the blackouts.
Then how do the blackouts explain the no audio?? Your audio goes also during the blank out?

My setup is a Panasonic Plasma (no speakers) with component, Yamaha receiver using optical hookup. I get no audio during the blanks and get a lot of audio and picture freezing.

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
avdiscolo said:
This gets stranger & stranger. I did the exact same experiment/test days ago, read my post number 111 on this thread. I neglected to mention in that post that when I played back my recordings containing the blackouts in 480i, I was hooked up to my Sony CRT via S-video. The blackouts were still there . When I'm hooked up to my Panny Plasma via HDMI the recorded blackouts show up in exactly the same places whether the output is 480p, 720p or 1080i.

As I stated before, what's recorded on the hard drive "stays on the hard drive" - playing it back using different rez outputs really shouldn't change what's displayed on the TV.

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
sorry for going off topic, just a quick question for gquiring and Wirelezz.

i see you guys both have Panasonic plasma displays, what do you think about the TH-50PHD8UK i ordered online yesterday?

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
joetoronto said:
sorry for going off topic, just a quick question for gquiring and Wirelezz.

i see you guys both have Panasonic plasma displays, what do you think about the TH-50PHD8UK i ordered online yesterday?
The short answer: "You will love it!"

I have the TH-42PHD8UK, and the PQ is fantastic. For those who don't know, this series of Panny Plasma's are the commercial models, and are actually broadcast quality studio monitors. No speakers, no tuners. Perfect for a D* setup with surround sound where a built in tuner & speakers are wasted (they do have a built in audio amp & speaker outputs on the back). A very clean look with just the plasma screen surrounded by a thin black bezel.

<<CHECK IT OUT>>

Joe, if you plan on hooking your Panny up via HDMI, you will have to order a TY-FB7HM HDMI Card as these units only ship with component, AV, S-video & PC inputs. Also, if you go component, you will need BNC to RCA adapters (Radio Shack, $5.00 ea.) as the component inputs are BNC connectors.

Enjoy your new toy!!

--
Wirelezz

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am by no means knowledgable in this area, but maybe I can help dispell some of the thought processes about our equipment being the problem. I have a D* DVR bought at X-mas, I assume its the model # everyone refers to. Its on a 50" Zenith HD ready 4:3 screen TV. I also have a Sammy 360 on a 56" Panisonic widescreen....both receivers on the same triple LNB oval dish. Both TV's also are hooked to a ChannelMaster Off Air ant. Almost ALL of my issues are on FOX. These issues are related to a moment of green screen pixilation, a momentary screen freeze/black-out...then the lip sync problem immediately starts, and will continue until I change the channel. This is on my Sammy 360 while I am watching on the over-the-air ant. broadcast coming out of the St. Louis affiliate. If I switch the channel back to the standard def D* sat broadcast, the pixelation, and blackout problems do not occur, and if I go back to the OTA HD broadcast, the lip sync issues are fixed. My D* DVR expeiences the same pixelation and screen black-out problem as the Sammy 360 is having. Another thing I have noticed with the DVR is that I can't watch CBS in 1080i......if I do it will blankout every 10 seconds or so. This all started up again about a month ago for me like many others. Out of the blue, both receivers started having issues simultaneously. The funny thing is, I joined the Hi-Def forum last year Jan after I got my Sammy because the same thing was occuring then, and I was asking questions. I had bought it in November 2004. No problems until Jan/Feb 2005. It was Fox having the problem then as well. After a little time, the problem went away, and I enjoyed almost a year with no problems, and now here we go again. Is there any way this could be related to the weather or time of year? I read a post where some of you think these issues are starting to lessen. Maybe the cycle, atmospheric or otherwise, is turning back the other way. I do not think it is the D* DVR, the Sammy 360, my TV's, or HDMI. I do not think it is a particular network either as some have thought. How could it be, when everyone has issues on differant networks?

The LNB possibility is interesting I will say,

I would like to know if people who have DISH NETWORK experience this.....does anyone know? That could explain alot if they don't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get these 1-2 sec black out's and I don't have DTV. I am using an old Voom HD receiver to get OTA HD. No satellite account. Most channels seem to be affected, but I notice them mostly on Fox and WB. On average, I will get 5 black outs during a 30 minute show.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jimphillips224 said:
I get these 1-2 sec black out's and I don't have DTV. I am using an old Voom HD receiver to get OTA HD. No satellite account. Most channels seem to be affected, but I notice them mostly on Fox and WB. On average, I will get 5 black outs during a 30 minute show.
If that is the case, I don't see how a person could point the finger at Direct TV as the problem. True enough their CSR's basically suck, but............

One thing I didn't mention in my other post....I have a standard definition receiver that is a rebuilt unit DTV sent me late last year when my old one went out. Ironically about 1 month or more ago, it started having a problem with video and audio blanking out every few minutes. It has been consistently doing this. It is on the same satellite and LNB as the as the two HD receivers I have. It doesn't pixelate because its not HD I guess, but its blanking out like the HD receivers.

This is even more interesting. Because all of my LNB ports are being used on the oval HD dish, and I had another receiver, I put my old standard Dish back on the roof, and hooked this extra reciever to it. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES AT ALL WITH THIS RECEIVER ON THE OLD DISH. This would point back to that HD dish as possibly being the problem, or the LNB as mentioned in other posts, since I have two SDTV receivers on two CRT televisions, and the one on the HD dish is the one screwing up.

JIM, What dish and LNB do you have?

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
MoonRaker said:
I put my old standard Dish back on the roof, and hooked this extra reciever to it. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES AT ALL WITH THIS RECEIVER ON THE OLD DISH. This would point back to that HD dish as possibly being the problem, or the LNB as mentioned in other posts, since I have two SDTV receivers on two CRT televisions, and the one on the HD dish is the one screwing up.
I alluded to the Triple LNB w/ built in multiswitch as maybe contributing to this problem in my first post #74 in this thread.

I received my HR10-250 one month ago and for the first 10 days after receiving my new HR10 I initially hooked it up to my old existing dual channel single LNB dish while waiting for my Phase III dish to arrive. I was able to receive CBSW HD CH 81 with the existing single LNB dish (CH 81 is currently broadcasting from the 101 satellite). For those first 10 days I recorded and viewed several HD broadcasts from CH81 with absolutely no problems, that is until my new triple LNB Phase III dish arrived. Only after installing/aligning it (with a resulting signal strength in the mid 90's on all three Sats.) did the blackouts begin. A little more than coincidental I would say.

I'm thinking the cause is some combination of the HR10 + Phase III dish + marginal quality signal (amount of compression / bitrate) from either the networks or D*'s Sats or NOC which is preventing the HR10 from properly decoding the MPEG2 video/audio stream. Perhaps the Phase III multiswitch is introducing glitches / errors to the signal? If this is the case then the HR10 probably suffers from either an inferior decoder chip or poor or inadequate related circuit design (or both) and is unable to do error correction and recover when the signal is less than excellent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wirelezz said:
I'm thinking the cause is some combination of the HR10 + Phase III dish + marginal quality signal (amount of compression / bitrate) from either the networks or D*'s Sats or NOC which is preventing the HR10 from properly decoding the MPEG2 video/audio stream. Perhaps the Phase III multiswitch is introducing glitches / errors to the signal? If this is the case then the HR10 probably suffers from either an inferior decoder chip or poor or inadequate related circuit design (or both) and is unable to do error correction and recover when the signal is less than excellent.
But if other receivers with strong signal strength, or broadcasts on OTA antennas are having the same issues, why point the finger at the HR10, or even the LNB for that matter? It's not part of the equation when I am watching my HD FOX OTA broadcast on my Samsung 360.

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
MoonRaker said:
But if other receivers with strong signal strength, or broadcasts on OTA antennas are having the same issues, why point the finger at the HR10, or even the LNB for that matter? It's not part of the equation when I am watching my HD FOX OTA broadcast on my Samsung 360.
Strong signal strength does not equate to good signal quality. IMHO the problem is caused by an occasional corrupt MPEG2 stream from the source. I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at the HR10, but it just may be that it has a much harder time correcting these errors than other D* receivers. Also HD OTA signals are no different than HD Sat. signals in that they have to be decoded also. So if the problem is with the source (the networks), then of course the blackouts will be seen OTA as well.

Statistically, if you read this thread top to bottom, the HR10 is sited way more often than any other receiver as having this problem. That's the only reason I am as you say "pointing the finger" at the HR10...

·
Registered
428 Posts
i also had no problem with my original HD250(which died after 4 months) but started having the blackouts with my replacement. A combination of differences within the HDdvrs and the connections to the TV seem to lead to all kinds of variances in the blackout problem.
Sure would like to know what percentage of people with HD250s have this problem.

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
Wirelezz said:
The short answer: "You will love it!"

I have the TH-42PHD8UK, and the PQ is fantastic. For those who don't know, this series of Panny Plasma's are the commercial models, and are actually broadcast quality studio monitors. No speakers, no tuners. Perfect for a D* setup with surround sound where a built in tuner & speakers are wasted (they do have a built in audio amp & speaker outputs on the back). A very clean look with just the plasma screen surrounded by a thin black bezel.

<<CHECK IT OUT>>

Joe, if you plan on hooking your Panny up via HDMI, you will have to order a TY-FB7HM HDMI Card as these units only ship with component, AV, S-video & PC inputs. Also, if you go component, you will need BNC to RCA adapters (Radio Shack, $5.00 ea.) as the component inputs are BNC connectors.

Enjoy your new toy!!

--
Wirelezz
oh i will, thanks Wirelezz.

i ordered 3 BNC adapters because i'll be using component for now. the receiver i'm using doesn't have HDMI. (sammy TS-160)

·
Registered
2 Posts
[Previous attempt to post escaped me... sorry for the incomplete message]

I'm particularly interested in this thread as I just ordered an HD10-250 and am about to buy a Pan TH-50PHDUK to connect via HDMI.

I'm no expert like other members but I wonder if the problem is not that Tivo write to disk buffer gets full or something. Tivo is just a computer writing HD signal to disk. It may be that the signal is at times too much for the hard disk to keep up, and the write buffer gets full -- which would maybe explain the 1-2 sec blank while Tivo disk drive is catching up.

So my questions are this:

1) Does this anomaly occurs with non-HD channels?
Probably less data to write...

2) Does it happen with ONLY selected HD channels, but not all? (e.g. on NBC but never on HBO).

It seems to me that:
-- if the problem is with broadcaster, this should happen whether or not you have Tivo in the loop... And it should happen whether through D* or OTA.

-- if the problem is with the D* satellite dish, it should happen whether or not you have Tivo in the loop...

Thanks for specifying which channels this happens with, whether HD or not, and which work fine (and whether HD or not).

Anxiously waiting to hear...

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
laurentmayer said:
... I wonder if the problem is not that Tivo write to disk buffer gets full or something. Tivo is just a computer writing HD signal to disk. It may be that the signal is at times too much for the hard disk to keep up, and the write buffer gets full -- which would maybe explain the 1-2 sec blank while Tivo disk drive is catching up.
Good point, and very likely to be a factor contributing to this problem. Doesn't explain why this is only seen on the network HD channels however (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.).

laurentmayer said:
1) Does this anomaly occurs with non-HD channels? Probably less data to write...
No.

laurentmayer said:
2) Does it happen with ONLY selected HD channels, but not all? (e.g. on NBC but never on HBO).
In my situation, it only happens with the network HD channels. I've not experienced this blackout phenomena on the 70's HD channels (HBO, etc.)

laurentmayer said:
It seems to me that: if the problem is with broadcaster, this should happen whether or not you have Tivo in the loop... And it should happen whether through D* or OTA.
And that's the way it is... blackouts seen in both Sat. & OTA reception.

laurentmayer said:
-- if the problem is with the D* satellite dish, it should happen whether or not you have Tivo in the loop...
I agree...

There has been a noticeable improvement of this problem in the last week, but it has not been entirely eliminated. The Winter Olympics were especially bad, and this was especially disappointing for me as I was motivated to purchase my HR10 and Panny Plasma mainly to watch the Olympics in HiDef. Perhaps the difficulties of broadcasting from Italy was a factor.

--
Wirelezz

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
Wirelezz said:
There has been a noticeable improvement of this problem in the last week, but it has not been entirely eliminated. The Winter Olympics were especially bad, and this was especially disappointing for me as I was motivated to purchase my HR10 and Panny Plasma mainly to watch the Olympics in HiDef. Perhaps the difficulties of broadcasting from Italy was a factor.
--
Wirelezz
how can that be, Wireless?

i remember perfect picture and audio coming from the moon in 1969. :rolleyes:

don't tell me the moon landing was a hoax! ;)

141 - 160 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.