TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 140 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
khark said:
The problem has been much less for the last couple of days on the Olympics until last night toward the end if the broadcast. The blanks started with alarming frequency when the ski jump coverage stared making the broadcast unwatchable. It cleared up after 10 or 15 minutes.
Experienced the exact same thing (unwatchable during ski jump coverage - only) on a recording from the west coast NBC HD feed...

·
TiVo Lover
2 Posts
Cudahy said:
Glad to finally find a thread about this. I've had this problem with my second HDTivo for many months. I assumed it was my Hitachi HDtv since the blackouts were usually associated with a sudden bright light or flash(information overload); but after reading this thread I guess I'll call the TV repairman to not come tomorow. It's annoying enough that we'll probably just watch SD for now(never happens in 480).
In my case there doesn't seem to be any correlation with what channel we're watching, just whether its HD or not.
I have had my HR10-250 for just nine days now and this blackout/stuttering issue is becoming VERY annoying. I am experiencing everything that everyone else seems to be, but I am getting these "blackout's" on many of channels, even SD channels. Because I have been seeing them on the SD channels, I thought that it might be a separate problem, but the symptoms are identical to what everybody else has been talking about. I have seen them on HBO HD, SHO HD, Disney Channel, Comedy Central, and TNT HD (great addition by the way).

Just like the quote above though, I have noticed the blackouts primarily when there is a sudden bright light or flash in the picture. My kids were watching "Twitches" on Disney and whenever the characters used a magic spell that created a bright flash, the picture would black out. I first noticed it during "Independence Day" on HBO HD, during the scene where the alien kills Brent Spiner in the lab and there is a lot of bright flashes of blue light, even during two different showings.

On Tuesday the 21st, Independence Day airs on HBO HD again at 4:30 am. I'd be really curious to see if the blackouts occur with everyone's HR10-250 during that scene. If just some of you could record it and let me know, that would be great.

I'm pretty sure that this is a video decoding error within the HR10-250 and DirecTV is simply refusing to acknowledge the problem. Since they are being phased out and they no longer will be using TiVo software (a big mistake on their part), they aren't interested in generating an update.

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
miss_my_utv said:
Experienced the exact same thing (unwatchable during ski jump coverage - only) on a recording from the west coast NBC HD feed...
Absolutely!! I just watched my recording of last nights Olympics. Just when I'm thinking the worst may be over, the Ski Jump segment plagued with the worst blackouts I've seen so far (HD NBCW CH83). Anybody with the East coast feed see this also?

And boy, do I ever miss my UTV also!! :(

·
Bring on the HD
115 Posts
gquiring said:
100% agree with you. The last two days the Olympics on 82 has been almost flawless. UPS makes no difference except that is a huge help when you have a blip on your power, waiting for the Tivo to boot and download is about a 5 minute issue, I can't imagine watching 24 and having to wait that long!!
I've also been watching tons of the Olympics on 82 and don't recall seeing a single video dropout. A couple of audio dropouts, but performance does seem to have improved quite a bit.

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
navymustang said:
I am getting these "blackout's" on many of channels, even SD channels. Because I have been seeing them on the SD channels, I thought that it might be a separate problem, but the symptoms are identical to what everybody else has been talking about. I have seen them on HBO HD, SHO HD, Disney Channel, Comedy Central, and TNT HD (great addition by the way).
Not here. I'm only seeing these blackouts on the west coast network HD channels. I've viewed in real time and recorded as well the HD 70's channels, HBO, Showtime, etc. and other non network HD channels and have not seen the blackouts on those channels... Go figure. Recording the programs (or not) doesn't seem to be a factor in this, at least for me.

navymustang said:
I'm pretty sure that this is a video decoding error within the HR10-250 and DirecTV is simply refusing to acknowledge the problem. Since they are being phased out and they no longer will be using TiVo software (a big mistake on their part), they aren't interested in generating an update.
Agreed: Considering people with receivers other than the HR10-250 don't suffer this problem, I'm sure this is the case. Probably something to do with D* over compressing the MPEG2 stream due to the limited bandwidth.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also got the frequent blackout toward the end of last nights Olympics.
Since we're dealing with the signal, the HDtivo box, the TV, and the connectors; there are many possible combinations. What works for someone(like our switching to 720)doesn't work for someone else.

·
Registered
94 Posts
miss_my_utv said:
I posted the above because it was much worse than "normal", and basically became unwatchable.

I haven't followed this thread in awhile (edit: actually it would have been a similar thread last fall!) so the "issue" may be different than I recall, but I quit worrying about the occassional, intermittent blackout on HD channels a long time ago. I noticed them as soon as we got the HDTivo, found it annoying, checked in with the list and found it was common (so not unique to my equipment), and just accepted that it was what it was. Other than cases like above, it's just an annoyance (to me). Sure, I wish it were fixed, but if it's not unique to my equipment (i.e., it's a DTV-wide "feature"), there's not much I can do.

I understand the urge to troubleshoot, etc., but spending a lot of time attempting to fix it (demanding new equip, etc.) seems kind of fruitless to me. Unless you're seeing something unique, of course...

·
Love my Tivo
18 Posts
So much for the UPS doing jack squat to help with the dropouts.

We couldn't watch the end of the Olympics last night either. Worst dropouts ever. Not too bummed about missing the ski jumping, but the fact that we couldn't see Apolo's interview was a big bummer for me. He's so dreeeeeamy... :p

In addition to the dropouts, our audio sync was out - anyone else see this too?

·
Registered
94 Posts
ntakidoo said:
So much for the UPS doing jack squat to help with the dropouts.

We couldn't watch the end of the Olympics last night either. Worst dropouts ever. Not too bummed about missing the ski jumping, but the fact that we couldn't see Apolo's interview was a big bummer for me. He's so dreeeeeamy... :p

In addition to the dropouts, our audio sync was out - anyone else see this too?
Yep, the audio was out of sync during the interview, also.

If there're going to be glitches, I wish they'd all happen during figure skating (when I really miss the 300x FF from UTV!)...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have read the thread top to bottom today as I am interested in getting the HD tivo before the non-tivo dvr is released....and what I am reading is pretty crappy/scary about all the blackouts and pixellation. From all that I can surmise from the reading is that the it is either a source problem or a DVR processing/output problem. Since I do not have one, and please forgive me if this is a redundant post (my first post on this site), but could someone run a test for me.

You all seem to have found that the OTA signal through the dvr still blacks out at the same time the D* local HD signal does too. But has anyone looked at checking the OTA directly to the TV via splitter and to the DVR for consistency with the blackouts? You would have to watch the program live and then check the recorded program for errors. If the OTA to TV is normal but the OTA to DVR is messed up, then the blackout fault lies in the H10's processing and subsequent output of the same signal.

The reason I ask is that I in Sacramento almost never have HD blackouts to my OTA indoor antenna to the TV built in tuner. Mind you I am only 17 miles from the tower for all the locals. I would however like the ability to record the HD but it might be waste if the programs are all messed up. I will say to note though...that even without the H10 DVR the first night of the olympics on OTA to TV was horrible with every 10-15 minute pixellation breakups.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, watching the Olympics in HD on the West Coast feed channel 83 is completely plagued by dropouts. Usually pix, sometimes sound, sometimes both.
Its very frustrating.

Folks we have 5 pages worth of reports of this problem. I don't know who is to blame for it, but it is sincerely getting old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Perhaps we "don't know who to blame" but, we do know who we pay for the service. And for me, the buck stops there. If everyone would call DirecTV with the problem, perhaps it would generate a response - and even better - a fix. When I called on the problem, I was told "You are the only one complaining." Obviously, looking at all the posts we have here - it's not just me.

From what DirecTV told me, MPEG4 is on the way - but - the dish is much larger than the triple LNB dish we have now, and the cable carries large amounts of information. So much information, that if it's even "pinched" into a tight spot (the hole drilled through a wall is tight for the cable) information will be lost. Rain fade will be a big problem, as the new set up is very unforgiving.

Will we have to buy a new dish? And a new DVR? And, from what I was told, you have to have the new dish installed by a professional - this seems to be quite a bit to ask for, to receive the quality we should be receiving today.

I have 20 months left on my commitment with DirecTV - then, if service isn't improved, I'm going to the competition. The only way to get something done is to first file a complaint - then, hit them in their pocketbooks.

TimmyVan

·
TiVo Lover
2 Posts
TimmyVan said:
Perhaps we "don't know who to blame" but, we do know who we pay for the service. And for me, the buck stops there. If everyone would call DirecTV with the problem, perhaps it would generate a response - and even better - a fix. When I called on the problem, I was told "You are the only one complaining." Obviously, looking at all the posts we have here - it's not just me.
I called DirecTV yesterday and was told the SAME thing... YOU'RE the only one complaining about it!!! I told the customer service representative that there are five pages and counting here and a page full on the DTV forums about the problem. I asked exactly HOW MANY customers had to call and complain before somebody looks into it and he actually said that if FIVE people call and complain about the same thing, then it gets sent to their software engineers for evaluation. Can you say bunch of BS???

So, I recorded ID4 again this morning and discovered that the picture blanked out in the SAME exact place as the previous two times. Anyone else see that???

Mike

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well so much for my NBC only theory. Ch 88 Fox HD NY has been terrible tonight. Audio and picture freezes every few minutes. I wish my cable company had a decent DVR, that's the only thing preventing me from switching. I just wonder if the non HR10-250 users are having these issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Not to be too melodramatic - we should pick a date to call to complain, then all call on the same day. That would be the 5 calls they need for someone to look at this problem. So far I've had my DVR replaced once, 3 service calls, and a credit on my account for the next 3 months for this problem.

Imagine if we ALL called, lets just say, on March 1st at 8:00 pm est (and better yet, to the same customer service representative) ...

·
TiVo Army Grunt
208 Posts
gquiring said:
Well so much for my NBC only theory. Ch 88 Fox HD NY has been terrible tonight. Audio and picture freezes every few minutes. I wish my cable company had a decent DVR, that's the only thing preventing me from switching. I just wonder if the non HR10-250 users are having these issues.
My Idol recording on Ch 88 was a mess last night. After an 1:15 min it only had about 20 minutes recorded. After watching 5 minutes, it rebooted. Wife was not happy. Recorded a bunch of other stuff yesterday in HD and all was fine. Maybe it is Fox5. I'm going to add a 2nd season pass OTA for Fox25 Boston and compare tonights recordings.

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
for what it's worth i watched a whole hockey game today in HD on CBC, a local network here, with no video OR audio dropouts at all via OTA with my HR10-250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since getting my unit in September, I can honestly say I have not had a single recording that did NOT have minimum 5 or 6 blanks per half hour on what seems like EVERY HD recording - National networks or HD Package - OTA or Satellite. I can't even imagine how many hours I've recorded and deleted since then. I have NEVER have the suggestions turned on. And the SD stuff I've recorded so far hasn't been much, but I really don't remember seeing it at all there.

Also, I ALWAYS get the audio and video "stutter" or "quick freeze" while watching live TV when I switch channels. Only when I change channels, though. Almost like the buffer is not starting soon enough and it needs to freeze for just a moment in order to "pick-up" that extra second to start the buffer. This is ALWAYS and CONSTANT - but also another topic!

121 - 140 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.