TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't heard from many of you on whether the progress indicator disappears during a "blank out" when fast forwarding/rewinding through a recorded show.

Most of the discussion has been about signal strength, and I understand how signal strength could create a blank out, but I don't understand why the progress indicator disappears during a blank out. It really seems like the entire video output from the HD10 is shutting down.

It also seems to me that the blank outs happen more often during transitions in the show, such as camera changes or commercial breaks.

I am also running component output.

·
Love my Tivo
18 Posts
I too am having this problem with my HR10-250 connected to my Panasonic 50" plasma via HDMI cable.

I just posted about it on hidefforum.com, and someone suggested that I contact DirecTV for a software update - I'll do that to see what happens, but I thought I'd see if anyone else here had tried that?

·
Love my Tivo
18 Posts
stivovance said:
There aren't any software updates for the Hr10 yet. If you're running 3.1.5f you have the latest software.
You are correct. I just got off the phone with a person at "Tier 2 Customer Support" who informed me that

a) I have the latest software version for the HR10-250

but more importantly that

b) I should not be getting the HD west coast feeds in the first place, which is why I'm having problems.

I have a triple LNB and she said I need the 5 LNB

but the beautiful part is...

She said they currently don't have an HD receiver capable of receiving the local HD feeds anyway

???????

I said, so...what the hell am I paying for HD service for?? And she listed off the crappy bizarro channels where I can watch Knight Rider in HD (?).

She said if I get an OTA and if it has a good angle to the tower, then I might be able to get my HD locals that way.

I hate D* so very much. Constantly giving me conflicting information. When I called in the first place I was told all I needed was the receiver and everything would work perfectly. I hate them I hate them I hate them.

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
lol, the majority of the csr's are a complete joke.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ntakidoo said:
You are correct. I just got off the phone with a person at "Tier 2 Customer Support" who informed me that

b) I should not be getting the HD west coast feeds in the first place, which is why I'm having problems.

I have a triple LNB and she said I need the 5 LNB

but the beautiful part is...

She said they currently don't have an HD receiver capable of receiving the local HD feeds anyway

???????

I said, so...what the hell am I paying for HD service for?? And she listed off the crappy bizarro channels where I can watch Knight Rider in HD (?).

She said if I get an OTA and if it has a good angle to the tower, then I might be able to get my HD locals that way.

I hate D* so very much. Constantly giving me conflicting information. When I called in the first place I was told all I needed was the receiver and everything would work perfectly. I hate them I hate them I hate them.
If you are located in L.A., why are you not eligible for the L.A. MPEG2 locals on 81, 83,87 an 89? HD TiVo can receive and record these. I believe you need to subscribe to the locals package to receive these.

jdg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in LA and receive those channels. Last night while watching the Tivo-delayed broadcast of the Grammy's I experience multiple picture AND video blank-outs. Of course, I have a new TV, new HD/DVR and new HD service for D*. So, I was at my wit's end trying to figure out which new element was the culprit. Soooo....annoying. I haven't noticed this issue with any other show. And it didn't appear to be happening during the commercial breaks of the Grammy's either. Which leads me to believe it's some technician dribbling cookie crumbs on the equipment in the van out in the parking lot of the Grammy's.

At least, I hope that's the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my hd tivo replaced with a brand new one and i must have seen 20+ gliches during the broadcast of the grammys. I dont know if my last unit was a better one and am very frusterated..... I know people say its the feed on OTA as well but last night was the worst ive ever seen it. Im wondering if i should plug back in my old unit and send back the new one. These units are crappy but we have no options. I sure would like to hear from others who watched the grammy's last night. I live in orange county and also get the LA feed of local HDs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gambino:

You are not alone. I saw a whole lot of pixellation on the grammys last night. At least 10-15 times during the broadcast. It was really bad. I was watching on OTA 2-1 from Los Angeles. I started a thread called Grammy Picture Quality that has had a few responses so far. It seemed to pixellate less during the performances and more during the transitions CBS ran across the screen. But it was continous and very, very annoying. CBS is normally very good on my setup, but this was brutal

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
could it be some kind of information overload then, Ragsy?

·
Love my Tivo
18 Posts
I do actually get the HD locals in the 80s, that's the funny part. The woman in CS was very suprised that I got them, and started rambling about waivers and crap like that.

So she blamed the dropouts on the fact that I wasn't even supposed to be getting those channels in the first place.

Of course, I AM supposed to be getting them there - I pay for local channels too, so she's full of crap (surprise surprise).

The beautiful part is that yesterday while I was imputting season passes into my new machine, I experienced the dropouts as well. Not while watching a channel but while in the Tivo menu itself spelling out the name of a show I wanted to put on the list.

So in answer to the question about the progress bar going away, I gotta guess that yeah, the bar would go away too if everything else does, regardless of signal strength.

I'm going to call the Brain Trust at D* and see how they stumble through this one.

Wish me luck.... :cool:

·
HR10-250 Lover
322 Posts
ntakidoo said:
I do actually get the HD locals in the 80s, that's the funny part. The woman in CS was very suprised that I got them, and started rambling about waivers and crap like that.

So she blamed the dropouts on the fact that I wasn't even supposed to be getting those channels in the first place.

Of course, I AM supposed to be getting them there - I pay for local channels too, so she's full of crap (surprise surprise).

The beautiful part is that yesterday while I was imputting season passes into my new machine, I experienced the dropouts as well. Not while watching a channel but while in the Tivo menu itself spelling out the name of a show I wanted to put on the list.

So in answer to the question about the progress bar going away, I gotta guess that yeah, the bar would go away too if everything else does, regardless of signal strength.

I'm going to call the Brain Trust at D* and see how they stumble through this one.

Wish me luck.... :cool:
i hope your going to go way up the ladder, ntakidoo, because otherwise you'll need a hell of a lot more than luck.

may the force be with you. :up:

·
TiVo Junkie
255 Posts
I too have been noticing the video cut out for a second but the audio is still there on my HDVR2. Mainly I notice it on my local FOX station, WJW.

·
2B or not 2B?
122 Posts
good.deals said:
I have some new info from the Directivo forum... I have the same problem and another guy thinks its the HDMI port.

He has a panasonic tv and they told him it might be the hr10-250 hdmi port. However, I also have a panasonic. We both have the same problem

It's either the HDMI port on the hr10 or the port on the panasonic.

Let me know what kind of TV's you have and if you have your connection through your hdmi port.

-Nathan
OK, same damn problem - HDMI connected to a Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK (42" Plasma). I have a different take on this. I just activated my HR10-250 about 10 days ago. I purchased it from Newegg and initially hooked it up to my existing dual channel single LNB dish while waiting for my Phase III dish to arrive. I live in the mountains of Colorado and have west coast HD waivers and I was able to receive CBS HD CH 81 with the existing single LNB dish (CH 81 is currently broadcasting from the 101 satellite). For the last week I have recorded and viewed several HD broadcasts from CH81 with absolutely no problems, that is until now. Yesterday my new triple LNB Phase III dish arrived and after installing/aligning it with a resulting signal strength in the mid 90's on all three Sats I'm thinking great, everything is OK fine. So last night as a test I recorded back to back episodes of "Survivor", "CSI", and "Without a Trace" (all on CH81).

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!! Every 10 min like clockwork for a total of 5 times on each one of these shows the picture totally blacked out for approximately 1-2 seconds, and the audio blanked out also. As I already mentioned the video is routed to my Panny Plasma directly from the HR10 via the HDMI cable and the audio is fed to my AV receiver via TOSLink (optical) for surround sound. This to me surely indicates a total interruption of the video & audio feed from the HR10. So the cause is either the HR10 itself , or the broadcast signal source from the networks or D* is for some reason being interrupted.

Maybe this is just coincidental, but I did not have this problem until I installed the Phase III dish. I'm wondering if this is somehow related to the built in multiswitch? I also noticed an immediate slowdown in the program guide and other menu functions on the HR10 after hooking up to the Phase III dish. I called D* tech support and got the usual canned responses (no help at all). What a drag this is going to be watching the Winter Olympics in HiDef with this annoyance occurring every 10 minutes!

·
Love my Tivo
18 Posts
Hard to say, but it could be a coincidence.

Like I said, I'm now having the 1-2 seconds of blackness + silence when I'm not even watching the signal - all I'm doing is navigating the Tivo menu to set things up.

Great. Just great.

Hooked the whole system up to a UPS today, maybe that will help. <sigh>

:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wirelezz,

I have the exact same problem. I had a DirecTV technician come out this morning and he said that my signal strength was perfect and declared that I had a defective HD10-250. So I went back down to Best Buy and got a new one. Of course, the new one had the same problem as the old one.

My old RCA HD receiver never had any video issues in the 5 years I have owned it.

So, I called DirecTV customer service, and got escalated since I had a technician already come out and was not able to fix the problem. They are sending another unit out to me. The CS said there have been some video problems with this unit and he suggested that the unit shipped directly from DirecTV might have this issue fixed. We'll see.

I'll keep you informed of what happens next.

Anthony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. Superbowl, Gammy's, Olympic opening ceremonies, you name it, the HD signal on all channels (8x on the west coast) multiple blackouts. Incredibly annoying. Anyone know if cable is experiencing the same problem?

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma, HR10-250. HDMI Interface. Will try Component connection and OTA tomorrow... But, from reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it'll help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nope. I have the exact same problem with OTA as you have with satellite and same problem whether I hook up HDMI or Component. Either the broadcasts are all screwed up or the HR10-250 is, or maybe both! I still cannot figure out why it is that some of us have all these issues, while others with the HR10-250 seem to have no problems at all. It is a complete mystery.

·
Long Time User
47 Posts
Add me to the heap of "me too" I have had the same unit since they were introduced almost 2 years ago, and this is VERY annoying.

I did a little test thursday night that was interesting.

I have a MCE 2005 setup with my TV and I record OTA HD feeds of shows to have a backup in case the TiVo drops the ball.

CSI on Thursday had several dropouts on the 10-250, BUT the OTA MCE 2005 recording was fine no dropouts. I checked at the same spots the drop outs ocured and didn't notice any thing in the OTA feed that would have caused a blip that I could tell.

my .02 worth,

mb1010

61 - 80 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.