TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
I'm in a northern NYC suburb, and I believe the problem lies with NBC, because I've seen blackouts at the same time on shows recorded on both 82 and 4.1 on different units. I also haven't seen CCs on many NBC or CBS HD shows I watch for at least a couple of months, maybe longer.

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
TimmyVan said:
when the black out happens, could you let me know the time, and what show just to compare that it happed to two customers, at the same time?
Tim,

Rest assured it's not D*. I just re-compared the dropout on two different HD Tivo's, one tuned to 82, and the other to 4.1 and saw the same dropout at the same time. Since one was via an outside antenna, D* couldn't have had anything to do with this particular 'blip'.

If it's not a repeat, I plan on recording "Medium" tonite at 10PM on 82. If you see a dropout, let me know what the timecode for it is and I'll check.

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
avdiscolo said:
This never happened with the RCA HD receiver.
Never happened for the first year and a half I've used the HD Tivo's either.

I'm pretty sure it's a network transmission problem, not a D* or h/w problem, at least in the NYC metro area. Since you're experiencing it too in WA, it's apparently a west coast feed problem as well, and not limited to the NY feed (which I believe is also the east coast feed.)

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
We may be talking about apples and oranges here.

I'm talking about occasional 1-second "blackouts", not service interruptions that cause messages on the screen. What you're experiencing may be an indication of poor dish alignment, trees blocking the satellite signal, multiswitch or transponder problems. I'd be surprised if swapping your HD Tivo will cure this.

I mainly see the "blackouts" on ABC, CBS and NBC programming.

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
Tim,

I checked my OTA recording of Medium and saw the same digital breakups you did at 10:10, :14 and :19.

However, I didn't see any one-second blackouts in the first 25 minutes.

I did see some digital noise in the picture, however, around 10:12, :21 and :22. Just three brief flashes that lasted 1/4 second. They were randomly placed on the screen and would have been virtually unnoticeable, had I not been watching closely for blackouts.

Since we're on different coasts, I think we can deduce from this experiment that the east and west coast NBC feeds use the same "master" recording.

Since I didn't see any blackouts this time, but you did, in this case they could be emanating from the source of the D* west coast feed vs. the source of the D* east coast feed. Or it may have something to do with the fact that our recordings were made three hours apart.

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
TimmyVan said:
Thanks for letting me know what's going on with your recordings. But, I think we got lost somewhere in the translation. I'm in Putnam County, New York and you're in Westchester County New York. At most, we have 50 miles between us, and we should both be using the New York (Channel 82) feed through DirecTV.
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Doh!". I got your location mixed-up in my mind with avdiscolo's, earlier in this thread.

Glad to help. Wish I had recorded it on 82 as well to compare to OTA. If you want to try again, let me know.

/steve

·
TiVowner Since '99
608 Posts
sda3 said:
Im going to argue and say that it is the HR10-250. I have the same problem occasionally, but if I back up in the recording many times I can see what I missed.
I believe these are different problems.

The problem Sda3 was able to resolve by backing-up is what I believe we on this forum call "stutter", which I experience two variations of sometimes. In one case, the picture hiccups but sound remains continuous. In the other case, the picture remains OK, but the sound drops out for a second.

The problem pudge44 experienced with 4 Kings sounds like the 1-second "blackouts", which do emanate from NBC, not D*.

/steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.