TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had the same problem and only on the HD channels. I chalk it up to signal issues as well as it doesn't happen on every recording, just occassionally, but when it does happen it tends to happen more than once in a recording.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can tell you the cause is not watching the same show on both tuners, one via OTA and one via Sat as my problem has occured while recording 2 different shows, 98% of which get recorded from sat.

What we need to do is pick a few programs and mark down at what points during the show there are either pixelations and/or blackouts. I have noticed most of the time, there will be a pixelation of some sort followed a few seconds later by a blackout, not all of the time, but more this past weekend than before.

Then, we compare notes to determine that this is indeed dtv's fault and not ours. Still won't do us anygood getting through the boneheads there, already tried that and failed, but atleast we would know for our sanity.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ragsy,

Understood, just wanted to make it clear that the cause wasn't that particular configuration.

I watch the East Coast HD channels and too have major problems w/ NBC and ABC. CBS I only watch NCIS so I can't comment on any other programs. I'm in Chicago so I watch the East Coast HD networks, the only Chicago HD OTA I watch is WGN (Supernatural) and UPN (Veronica Mars) to date, I haven't noticed a single problem w/ either of these. HBO and Showtime, I don't think I've seen a problem yet either.

I'm guessing the problems are only going to get worse. Once the weather gets a little warmer, I'm going to move my OTA antenna to get a better signal for NBC, ABC and FOX Chicago Locals.

I'd be happy to start a spreadsheet of programs anyone is having problems with. I'd need Program
Channel
City you live in
City where station is located
Air Date
time listing of problem, pixelation and/or black outs.

If we get enough people complaining, maybe, just maybe directv will listen. Just pm me your details and I'll get this thing started. So far, I don't think I've watched a single program since Fri 1/20 on NBC and ABC that hasn't had a problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have seen this on all the major networks through Directv HD New York Locals. I just can't see this being all the networks are having problems at the same time. I still think directv is the cause of the problem(s). I've watched Chicago OTA for our WB and UPN and haven't seen a problem yet, but for the major networks, don't get a great signal yet for OTA so I can't compare.

·
Registered
141 Posts
After switching & recording everything except CBS via OTA HD, I don't have any problems. I see the occasional stutter (less than 3) this year on CBS. OTA on NBC, ABC and FOX has been near flawless. The occassional pixelation but that could be the placement of my antenna or local OTA problems, but I'd take that any day over the blackouts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The nice thing is it also shows you what antenna you should get via the color coding on the channels. I knew that the antenna I got (square shooter 2000) wouldn't be the best for CBS here in Chicago (3-1) but I only wish I wouldn't have waited 6 months to get the antenna. I had a zenith silver sensor outside and it worked pretty good until the neighbors rose bushes grew in the spring and overpowered it. So I put up the squareshooter and was just amazed by the difference. The rose bushes grew later in the summer so before the fall season, I moved the squareshooter up on our 3rd floor and have yet to be disappointed by that decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.