TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
joetoronto said:
me too.

i can't call directv, i wish i could though. :(
I have called, the 'idiots' who answer the phones are useless. Same stupity when my hard drive failed in my HR10-250. I ended up replacing the drive myself because they kept insisting that I reboot the unit.

D* is going down hill at good pace. My cable company is looking better and better every day. More HD channels like Starz, TMC and Cinemax. When the series 3 Tivo is available I will probably make the move.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Phase III triple LNB with a built in multi-switch but I don't think thats the issue. I have been watching a good deal of NBC NY (82) and UHD. Lots of blackouts on NBC but zero on UHD. I also see no blackouts on HBO. I also have been watching 24 and American Idol on Fox NY (88) and see no blackouts. I am starting to think this is a source issue.

I am using component output on a 42" Panasonic Plasma.

·
Registered
338 Posts
avdiscolo said:
Just curious, what is the HD satellite signal strength for those of you with this problem?
My sat strength on all three is a low of 91 and averages 93. I watched Lost and Invasion last night on ABC NY (86) and no black outs. I watched my recording of last nights Olympics with blackouts and stuttering every few minutes. I did get one very short stutter on UHD today but so far the bulk of my issues are NBC.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have had a UPS on my HR10-250 from day one.

I don't think it's the HR10-250 because when I first received it there were no black outs. Why the black outs appear more on NBC than any other channel has to be a clue. I don't think I have ever seen a black out on HBO (70), CBS (80) or FOX (88).

·
Registered
338 Posts
ntakidoo said:
Okay, I know that it hasn't helped everyone, but for what it's worth, our dropouts diminished dramatically (although they did not disappear altogether) once we hooked everything up to the UPS
I have had a UPS on my HR10-250 from day one. The dropouts and black screens for me are almost entirely on NBC HD NY (82). I rarely get any issues on any other channel. I also see the issues watching SD broadcasts on channel 82. I watched the US hockey today on 82 and I don't think I saw a single issue, go figure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wirelezz said:
As far as I'm concerned this problem is an interruption of the HD video/audio stream from the satellite and is either originating from D*'s NOC or the Networks themselves. I've seen a noticeable improvement over the last few days however, especially in regards to the Olympics.
100% agree with you. The last two days the Olympics on 82 has been almost flawless. UPS makes no difference except that is a huge help when you have a blip on your power, waiting for the Tivo to boot and download is about a 5 minute issue, I can't imagine watching 24 and having to wait that long!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am watching the hockey on ch 82 this afternoon. Nothing but issues with audio dropouts and freezing pictures. I also watched some earlier morning shows on 82 in SD format and they were also plagued with issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well so much for my NBC only theory. Ch 88 Fox HD NY has been terrible tonight. Audio and picture freezes every few minutes. I wish my cable company had a decent DVR, that's the only thing preventing me from switching. I just wonder if the non HR10-250 users are having these issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I never had these issues when I first got my HR10-250 over a year ago. Mine is from the original batch, the drive failed after the first 3 months and I installed my own replacement drive because D* was 100% unreasonable with diagnosing my dead Tivo. I also had to replace my multi-switch the first year once the winter months hit, my switch could not handle temps below 17 degrees.

I don't rememeber exactly when this started but I would guess 4-5 months ago? I know it did NOT exist when D* first started adding the NY locals on the MPEG2 feed.

Last night I watched Idol live and it had only one water like sound issue for 2 seconds. I did reboot my Tivo the previous day to see if that helps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
avdiscolo said:
The DirecTV technician that came out to my house this morning hooked up an S-video cable between my HD10-250 and my TV to determine whether something to do with my TV could be causing the blackouts. When he replayed the very same recordings that had many blackouts at a lower definition, the blackouts went away completely.

I have a 5-year-old Sony HDTV that has only component inputs for HD that must be run at 1080i, so I'm kind of out of luck for HD in this configuration.

My conclusion is that there is either something wrong with the 1080i conversion in the HD10-250, or some interaction between the HD10-250 and my TV running at 1080i that is causing the blackouts.
Then how do the blackouts explain the no audio?? Your audio goes also during the blank out?

My setup is a Panasonic Plasma (no speakers) with component, Yamaha receiver using optical hookup. I get no audio during the blanks and get a lot of audio and picture freezing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I noticed something that made my eyes go wide open. I bought a heating pad to aid in my recovery from having my hips replaced recently. When I turned on the pad it glitched my HR10-250! The pad only draws 50 watts. I switched over to my Xbox XBMC and tried the same thing and no glitch. So the plasma panel and receiver are not effected only the Tivo.

I suspect the power supply in the Tivo is not up to par. Maybe a better quality UPS may be the answer that someone noted a while back in this thread. I am using a cheapo Belkin I picked up from Home Depot a couple of years ago. This could explain some of the issues we all have that seem to be different.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here are my results from this weeks American Idol on Ch 88 (NY HD)

Audio Glitches Tue:
8:03,8:05,8:08,8:11,8:13,8:16,8:19,8:21,8:24,8:27

Audio Glitches Wed:
8:02,8:03,8:05,8:08,8:10,8:13,8:16,8:18,8:18,8:21,8:24,8:26,8:50

Audio Glitches Thu:
8:07

Blackouts Wed:
8:02, 8:15

If you look closely almost no glitches after 8:27 for Tue or Wed, why? Thursday was almost flawless. I watched several other shows on ABC like Invasion and Boston Public with no issues. I just don't get these inconsistencies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.