TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad to finally find a thread about this. I've had this problem with my second HDTivo for many months. I assumed it was my Hitachi HDtv since the blackouts were usually associated with a sudden bright light or flash(information overload); but after reading this thread I guess I'll call the TV repairman to not come tomorow. It's annoying enough that we'll probably just watch SD for now(never happens in 480).
In my case there doesn't seem to be any correlation with what channel we're watching, just whether its HD or not.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just did a test. We watched 10 minutes of the Olympics on 1080 - 6 blackouts; rewound it, no blackouts in SD. Then the surprise; rewound it and watched it in 720 - no blackouts!
Maybe we'll be able to watch HD in 720 without blackouts!

·
Registered
428 Posts
We watched 2 hours of the Olympics last night on 720 without any blackouts. Judging from the very different responses on this thread the combination of the box, the TV , and the connections create different situations.
In my case I'm assuming that our TV has problems with the HDtivo's 1080 feed but is able to handle the 720. It's clear that the "blackouts" are not in the received signal but in the transference to a television. With the current HD250 there is an occasional information overload in 1080.
With some of you it may something very different; the received signal, the interaction with a different TV set, etc.
For me it looks like I can avoid the blackouts by leaving it at 720. When I first got HD I thought you had to watch 1080 channels in 1080. Now the only difference between 720 and 1080 that we can see is the blackouts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also got the frequent blackout toward the end of last nights Olympics.
Since we're dealing with the signal, the HDtivo box, the TV, and the connectors; there are many possible combinations. What works for someone(like our switching to 720)doesn't work for someone else.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i also had no problem with my original HD250(which died after 4 months) but started having the blackouts with my replacement. A combination of differences within the HDdvrs and the connections to the TV seem to lead to all kinds of variances in the blackout problem.
Sure would like to know what percentage of people with HD250s have this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.