TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just noticed something today. I get the "blank outs" even when fast forwarding through a recorded show. If the "blank out" was only in the recorded show, I would expect the progress indicator to still be visible, but it wasn't. The entire picture went blank. This almost sounds like a video output problem to me now.

Do other people see entire picture "blank outs" when fast forwarding through a recorded show?

Anthony

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't heard from many of you on whether the progress indicator disappears during a "blank out" when fast forwarding/rewinding through a recorded show.

Most of the discussion has been about signal strength, and I understand how signal strength could create a blank out, but I don't understand why the progress indicator disappears during a blank out. It really seems like the entire video output from the HD10 is shutting down.

It also seems to me that the blank outs happen more often during transitions in the show, such as camera changes or commercial breaks.

I am also running component output.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wirelezz,

I have the exact same problem. I had a DirecTV technician come out this morning and he said that my signal strength was perfect and declared that I had a defective HD10-250. So I went back down to Best Buy and got a new one. Of course, the new one had the same problem as the old one.

My old RCA HD receiver never had any video issues in the 5 years I have owned it.

So, I called DirecTV customer service, and got escalated since I had a technician already come out and was not able to fix the problem. They are sending another unit out to me. The CS said there have been some video problems with this unit and he suggested that the unit shipped directly from DirecTV might have this issue fixed. We'll see.

I'll keep you informed of what happens next.

Anthony

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really don't see how it could be the signal since the picture is perfect on my old RCA HD receiver downstairs. We actually watched the Olympics in that room last night because we had so many blackouts with the HD10-250.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've complained and they are sending me another unit. My case was escalated since a technician came out to my house and said my first unit was defective. The second unit had the same problem.

I got my first two units from Best Buy, and now the third one is coming directly from DirecTV.

I agree with Wirelezz, everyone else needs to report this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update on my saga. I received my third HD10-250 in the mail, this time directly from DirecTV--the one that is supposed to solve all my problems. And of course, it still has the blank out problem. I get on the phone with second tier support, and he says I have marginal signal strength on one of my satellites (~73). When I mention to him that it also happens on OTA HD where the signal strength is > 90, I get some lame answer to the effect that they can't control the OTA broadcasts.

Just curious, what is the HD satellite signal strength for those of you with this problem?

This is where I was two weeks ago with my first unit! They are coming back next week to adjust my dish.

This is really getting old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone here think they've solved their "blank out" issue?

DirecTV is coming out to my house for the second time tomorrow to try to fix this issue. After trying 3 different units in 4 weeks, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The DirecTV technician that came out to my house this morning hooked up an S-video cable between my HD10-250 and my TV to determine whether something to do with my TV could be causing the blackouts. When he replayed the very same recordings that had many blackouts at a lower definition, the blackouts went away completely.

I have a 5-year-old Sony HDTV that has only component inputs for HD that must be run at 1080i, so I'm kind of out of luck for HD in this configuration.

My conclusion is that there is either something wrong with the 1080i conversion in the HD10-250, or some interaction between the HD10-250 and my TV running at 1080i that is causing the blackouts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.