TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same problem here since the very beginning with the Hr10-250. Occurs mostly on HD, both OTA and Satellite. Worst channels are ESPN HD, ABC and NBC. Live sporting events are also glitchy. I don't know what else it could be besides the broadcast since it appears on both OTA and Satellite at the same time. I just don't understand why some of us have the problem with the HR10-250 and others don't. If it was exclusively a broadcast problem, seems like we should all be having it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chris:

What I meant is that very often when there is a video stutter or glitch or whatever you want to call it, it occurs at exactly the same moment on the OTA and Satellite broadcast of the Same show. For example, if I am watching a football game on OTA 7-1 (ABC) and also on ABC WEST Coast high def feed (87) on the two separate tuners, I see the exact same stutter at the same time. This does NOT occur if I am watching two different shows on the two tuners. If I am watching the football game on one tuner and the other tuner is recording a different show, it does NOT stutter at the same moment. This is what would lead one to believe the problem is in the broadcast rather than on my end . . .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stivovance:

I did not mean that the problem was caused by watching the same show on OTA and Satellite at the same time. I only meant that the stuttering often occurs on both OTA and Satellite at the same time when watching the same show. I agree with you that the stuttering occurs all over the place. I wish we could coordinate somehow and check various shows. In watching Desperate Housewifes and West Wing tonight via HD OTA, both shows had video stuttering at the very beginning. West Wing also had a stutter about 2/3 of the way through the show. For me, ABC, NBC and ESPN HD are consistently the worst at video stuttering. CBS, Fox and HBO are much better. Unfortunately, I suspect this varies based on East Coast vs. West Coast Feed and also based on individual feeds depending on what city or area you are in. I suspect that everyone having the problem does not have the same good and bad channels as I do. Maybe everyone in my neighborhood does. That would really be helpful, if we could somehow determine that the problem is related to the specific neighborhood or area one lives in. I suspect that this might be the case.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the video stuttering and/or momentary blackouts mostly on ABC, NBC, and especially ESPN HD. All on the high def channels, both satellite and OTA. CBS and FOX high def seem much better, at least on my system. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Sporting events seem to have more issues than prerecorded shows. ESPN HD is the worst.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The audio on CBS was all messed up at the beginning as you indicated. Out of sync and double audio. The audio stuttering after that may just have been George W and his normal oratory.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I doubt whether Mark's problem of total blackout is the same issue. Sounds like something else going on there. With regard to the stutters and blackouts, I get both. I suspect that some of it is related to the broadcast itself and some of it may be related to something inherent in the HR10-250 boxes. There definitely seems to be something wrong with the HR10-250 in general since so many people have stuttering or blackout issues with this box. The mystery, to me, is why some people with the HR10-250 have these issues while others don't. If someone can solve that mystery you may be able to get to the root of the problem. There are many, many times that the stutter or blackout occurs on both OTA and Satellite at the same time when the same broadcast is on both. That would indicate a possible broadcast problem, but then why doesn't everyone experience this problem at the same moment???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gambino:

You are not alone. I saw a whole lot of pixellation on the grammys last night. At least 10-15 times during the broadcast. It was really bad. I was watching on OTA 2-1 from Los Angeles. I started a thread called Grammy Picture Quality that has had a few responses so far. It seemed to pixellate less during the performances and more during the transitions CBS ran across the screen. But it was continous and very, very annoying. CBS is normally very good on my setup, but this was brutal

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nope. I have the exact same problem with OTA as you have with satellite and same problem whether I hook up HDMI or Component. Either the broadcasts are all screwed up or the HR10-250 is, or maybe both! I still cannot figure out why it is that some of us have all these issues, while others with the HR10-250 seem to have no problems at all. It is a complete mystery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Somebody please come up with a valid theory as to why some of us have these drop outs and pixellation and stutters with the HR10-250 while others with the same machine have no issues. I just cannot figure out what is going on. Could it be the TVs involved? Is it possible that certain TVs are having a problem with the HR10-250?? It is not an HDMI problem. It is not a signal problem. Since it occurs on both OTA and Satellite HD, it is not a satellite issue. It is not a cabling issue. IF it was a broadcast issue, everyone should be having the problem, not just some of us with the HR10-250. If D* was the culprit, why wouldn't everyone be having the problem. What does that leave as the possible problem??? Problem with certain TVs and the HR10-250? I have a Sony 32 inch CRT. I don't see anyone on the Sony chat sites complaining about this problem with similar TV. This problem is incredibly annoying. I know some say that the technology is very new so there will always be some problems, but that doesn't explain why this is such a problem with some of the HR10-250 units, while others seem to have no issues. One thing seems consistent. Once you have the problem, getting a replacement HR10-250 seems to do nothing to solve the problem. Direct TV saying they are now aware of the problem and it will be fixed in a few days sounds like an incredible longshot. This problem has been going on for well over a year now with no end it sight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess it could be the triple LNB dishes. I had the LNB replaced a few months ago and of course it made no difference. I didn't have the whole dish replaced though, just the triple LNB. But my question is still the same: Why do some of us have the video stuttering and blackouts while others do not, and why does it seem to be more prevelant with the HR10-250 than with other boxes? I have a bad feeling about the new HR20-250 , 5 LNB fixing this problem, but I guess we might as well be optimistic about that . . .Unfortunately, I have already read some people complaining about the 5 LNB and blackouts, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the stuttering and blackouts on both OTA and Satellite, and very often at the very same moment if I have both tuners set to the same broadcast (one on OTA and the other on Satellite). My signal strength on 119 is around 90, but my signal strength on the 110 is closer to 80. Saying the problem is signal strength makes no sense. Why would the problem occur on both satellite and OTA at the same time if it was signal strength. I think they just don't know what else to say at D* so they blame it on signal strength.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I really don't believe the solution is hooking the HR10-250 to a UPS, but I would be interested in a follow up in a few days as to whether hooking up to a UPS really has decreased the blackout or stuttering problem. It doesn't really make sense to me, but . . .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here on the West Coast (Los Angeles) I see the most video problems (blackouts, pixellation, stuttering) on NBC, ABC and ESPN HD. On NBC and ABC the problem is on both Satellite and OTA. I agree that normally FOX, CBS and HBO are better, although last week CSI on CBS was very bad. Also, live sporting events have issues on Fox and CBS from time to time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good luck on the 720, but I have the same problems regardless of whether the Tivo is set to 720 or 1080. No difference at all. Any update on the blackouts with the UPS hooked up??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Agreed. Once the blackout is there, it doesn't make any difference what resolution you play it back at. By the way, I get these problems on HD reception regardless of what the resolution is set to during the recording. Even if it is set to 480, rather than 720 0r 1080, I get blackouts and stuttering on HD programming.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Laurentmayer:

The fact of the matter is, everybody seems to have slightly different video problems with the HR10-250. Some have the problem only with the network HD, some have problems with ESPN HD, some have problems with HD Net, etc, etc. Just when I think I've narrowed the problem down to a couple of channels, I have problems with other ones that have been good in the past. ESPN HD, ABC and NBC have seemed the worst for me. CBS, FOX and HBO were pretty good. But lately, I've had problems with CBS and FOX. The video problems seem almost completely random. I have problems with both satellite HD and OTA. Recently I've also had some problems with SD channels. And then, I'll watch 3 or 4 programs in a row and they are perfect. I never know what shows will be good and which will have the video blackouts and stuttering. I do not believe it has anything to do with a bad harddrive. I do not think it has anything to do with low signal. It has nothing to do with high temperature of the unit. It is not an HDMI issue. All my cables and the LNB have been checked and rechecked. The problem sucks and I don't believe it will be getting better anytime soon. It has been going on for over a year now. D* barely acknowledges the problem as they seem to claim that everytime someone calls in about this video blackout issue, it is the first they are hearing about it, That is obviously nonsense. I think that the truth of the matter is the HR10-250 is more susceptible to this video blackout and stuttering problem than other HD receivers. Why, I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's an interesting development. I watched the Oscars at a friends house who has a Hr10-250. We watched on West Coast Satellite Channel 87 ABC. My friend insisted to me in the past that he never had any issues with video blackouts or stuttering. The broadcast was filled with blackouts and stuttering and pixellation. I Tivoed it at home and had the same problem. So you would think we have a problem on the broadcast end of things. Another friend has cable and he watched in on Cable HD and said he had no video problems at all. He has Time Warner cable. That would imply that it is not a broadcast problem, but ???

Did anyone watch it on OTA HD? Were there problems on OTA?? The randomness of this video problem is what makes it so annoying. You just never know whether a show your watching will have no problem or be awful with stuttering, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK. If it wasn't a problem with the Hr10-250 specifically then what was the problem with the Oscar video? I would be most curious to hear from others who have Cable HD to see if they had the same issues. The one person I checked with claims no problems with the HD Oscars on his Cable. Was it somehow a D* problem which was evident on both OTA and Satellite HD thru D*? During the rap number, my friends TV went crazy, glitching with every strobe light. This is apparently a known issue with digital broadcast and stobe lights. Yet my TV had no problem with that segment of the show. Very odd. What I do find interesting is that my friend had claimed no issues with his HR10-250 and I couldn't figure out why his had no problems and mine did. Turns out he simply doesn't pay nuch attention to that kind of thing and had the same issues I have. How many people are like that? If there are a bunch of folks out there who had no issues with the Oscar show in HD, then I am totally baffled as to the cause of the problems some of us had. But did everyone have these issues??? If so, the broadcast would obviously be to blame. Lets hear from those of you that had no issues whatsoever with the HD broadcast of the Oscars, if you are out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And therein lies the problem. There is no real consistency to the audio and video problems. Just when you think you have it figured out, the pattern changes. Shows that never have a problem all of sudden develop problems and others that have problems get better for a time. My conclusion, so far, is that there is some combination of broadcasting issues and HR10-250 issues as well as some D* issues that all combine to create a totally unpredictable set of problems, both video and audio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.