TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
9,709 Posts
Hope I'm not smeeking but I learned of How 'Star Trek: Picard Season 2' fixed its biggest starship controversy the other day.

The "fix" relates to not having the "copy and paste" ships at the end of S1.
I'm more concerned by the fact that before the backlash to the end of S1 - they .. thought cut'n'paste starfleet was still a good idea?

But the article did make for more interesting reading than I expected. I'm going to have to go back and look at the fleet again now.

· Notable Member
93,533 Posts
It's more likely an "out" to revisit both the Soji and Wesley Crusher characters in other series. I know Wheaton wants to do Lower Decks.
That wasn't Soji the person formerly known as Wesley Crusher met. That was Kore.

· Time for a new Title
20,180 Posts
I personally don't mind the idea of a fleet having a bunch of similar ships. I'd say my bigger concern (with the snippets of the Season 1 finale I saw, as well as the Season 2 opener) is how Starfleet seems to have a billion starships that they can send all to the same place at the same time.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Loved the wrap-up with Q. Q knew he was "moving on" and wanted to help the one mortal (well...) he considered a friend. Absolutely loved the final scene between Q and Picard.

Having grown to love Agnes during the season, her becoming Borg Queen is a bit of a let-down. While I initially was disappointed that Agnes was made a victim again this season, her transformation from that idiotic Confederation costume to wandering LA in the Red Dress was interesting. Did anyone else find it odd that the Queen didn't move when on the Stargazer, and it looked like they superimposed Allison Pills head on the queen body in post production?

My biggest dislike of the season is the death of Tallinn and the linking of the Travelers to the Gary Seven benefactors in "Assignment" Earth". In "Assignment: Earth" you had Agents as well as Supervisors who trained for generations until needed. In this instance they simply did away with that concept and Supervisors supervise how time unfolds. I have also held out hope that one of the series in development was an "Assignment: Earth" reboot. Maybe that is still in the works with Will and Isa.

Looking forward to the third and final season to see what they have planned to wrap up the Picard storyline.

· Registered
19,310 Posts
I personally don't mind the idea of a fleet having a bunch of similar ships. I'd say my bigger concern (with the snippets of the Season 1 finale I saw, as well as the Season 2 opener) is how Starfleet seems to have a billion starships that they can send all to the same place at the same time.
Well at least in Season 2 I think it was close to "home" so maybe they just warped in from really close.

· Time for a new Title
20,180 Posts
I'm not sure if E1 or E10 is the better place for this, so I just chose the finale. I had a chance to meet John de Lancie last night. It was a very small group event, I think about 25 people, and we spent about an hour and a half with John. He took questions, told stories about his work in and out of Star Trek. I have to say, John seems like an incredible guy, very down to earth--I haven't met a lot of celebrities but I would say this was the most enjoyable celebrity meet and greet experience I've ever had. If you ever have a chance to meet him or just see him speak, do it.

But that's not what I dove into a Picard thread to talk about. John was very complementary about everyone he's worked with, but you could read between the lines on some of his comments about how some people may have been more difficult than others. He started talking about Picard S2 by essentially saying "It's not my job to rewrite scenes--I need to bring flavor, not change the content...but..." and then talked about how he had to discuss a lot of his work in Picard with Akiva Goldsman. There were lines he had issues with, but it was more the flow. He said Akiva's goal was "keep the audience confused", and he spoke out about that. He said that if you just throw curve balls at this audience, without explaining why, you'd lose them.

He also shared that we should all look forward to season 3, because Terry Matalas is taking over as show running, and "Terry is actually a Star Trek fan, where the previous guy isn't." When someone asked John if he was showing up in Season 3, he changed the subject (but I don't actually expect him to; John just knows how to keep the audience engaged and taking the chance to imply he may show up is a great way to do that).

· Proud Tivolutionary
17,329 Posts
"When someone asked John if he was showing up in Season 3, he changed the subject" - he may not be allowed to say.

It's probably like how I got blown off by Jason Isaacs :O when I tried to ask him at a Vegas Trek convention a few years ago whether we'd see "good" Lorca. Was a really weird "response" when I went up to he mic to ask. I can only guess he wasn't allowed to answer questions like that...

· Time for a new Title
20,180 Posts
I'm rewatching (or watching and paying attention to) Season 2. It's not as bad as I remember. The first time I got through most of the third episode before I felt like "this is crap, I'm not interested anymore". I'm through episode 6 now and it's still engaging.

I would say that this isn't Star Trek, at least to me. It's not just the time travel piece; it feels like every episode is more of an excuse to put Star Trek characters into some sort of different 21st century film style--prison break, espionage, the next episode looks like it could have a touch of horror. But there's no exploration, and the "we're going to make the world better" overall plot is pulled out WAY too long. And I'm really worried that some of the plot lines will not make sense at the end (especially knowing what John DeLancie told me about his concerns with the season, and the constant plot curveballs).

I will probably finish it up this weekend and then report back. I do have a little more hope for Season 3, though.

· Time for a new Title
20,180 Posts
I finished Season 2 this weekend as planned. Overall, had they done a storyline like this in TNG, it could have been a two parter. The entire Soong/Kore (hah, name reference) plot was completely worthless. The only thing it did was give them an excuse to put Picard into a very brief coma, and that wasn't really needed. The way I see it, there were 3 main plot threads:

• Q's Death/Transition to the next plane, and his final test for Picard
  • Picard dealing with the death of his mother (which, honestly could have been dropped but was the most touching part of the season)
  • Giving us a version of the Borg that were a little more interesting in case they ever come up in another future series (but I'm not counting on it)

There were so many divergences from those threads that just made the season drag on. Soong, the crazy FBI guy, the arrest of Rios (I think the clinic and why it existed were important, but they could have condensed it quite a bit), even anything to do with Guinan (although it was nice seeing her, even if her appearance seems to break canon).

I'm looking forward to Season 3, but I am worried that I'll feel the same way--it'll be 10 hours that would have made a good two part TNG episode.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts