TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Tivo today. I used the phone line. However, i just ordered a Linksys USB wireless adaptor. When it arrives, should i leave both connected? Should i continue to use the phone instead of the wireless?

Will i have to switch to network to be able to use online functionality? Thanks.

·
I'm back!
34,357 Posts
Use wireless if/when you can. Much more capability with a broadband connection to the TiVo. Probably the box will have upgraded to a software version that's compatible with the wireless adapter by the time it arrives (if it doesn't already have a compatible version).

I can't think of a reason to use the phone connection if you have the capability to use the netowrk connection. Faster repsonse to tivo.com recording requests, TiVo2Go, HME apps, apps.tv, etc. etc...

·
TechLovin Newbie
66 Posts
Personally, I like to have both of them connected. Very regularly, I lose my network connection. I understand this happens to others, as well, to some more often than to others. It has been convenient for me to be able to use the phone connection till I have time - or feel like - fiddling with the network again.

If, like me, the phone line isn't in the way, you may also find that this works for you. Welcome to TiVo!

·
Banned
4,869 Posts
TiVo to Go - copy recordings to pc then to dvd
Multi-room viewing - copy recordings from the familyroom Tivo to the bedroom Tivo
Access music from your pc
Access photos from your pc and from a yahoo account
and a few more things that require internet access such as local weather and road conditions, various podcasts...

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
There are two core things:

Connecting it to your home network:
For MRV/T2G, Music&Photos, some features of Galleon (which amout to TTG and M&P)

Conencting it to your broadband network:
To get service updates without the phone line
To use online scheduling.
The online HME apps (from TiVo, and apps.tv), plus more features of Galleon.

·
I'm back!
34,357 Posts
Rocketboom
(not worth the cost of the adapter, IMO, but OK at zero incremental cost once you have it)

Other downloaded content (eventually... In practice the pipe is a bit small for this).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts