TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received a TiVo that I purchased on eBay and am trying to set it up as my second unit. However, it's been years since I had to do this to my original box and I'm a bit rusty.

The TiVo powers up OK and System information looks good.

Account Status : 5 Lifetime
Software Version : 2.5.5-01-1-023 (same as my original unit)
Last successful call : 10 January 2011.

However I can't get it to make a call. My original TiVo has a CacheCard installed so I haven't had to mess around with phone dialling options for ages.

I have the Phone Options set up as

Set Dial Prefix : None
Set Call Waiting Prefix : None
Set Tone/Pulse : Tone
Set Phone Available Detect : On
Set Dial Tone Detect : On

When I try to make a Test Call then I get

Preparing : Preparing to Call -> Done
Dialling : Dialling... Failed. Phone Is Busy.

I know that the phone isn't busy and that the phone socket is working OK (I plugged in a phone and dialed out with it). I've also tried a couple of different TiVo/Phone cables but always the same result. Could it be anything to do with my O2 Broadband being connected at the same time?

Any suggestions welcome :)

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
You could try picking up the phone when it says it's trying to dial. See if you can hear the usual old 'modem' tones. Also, try turning off Set Phone Available Detect and Set Dial Tone Detect to 'Off'.

Don't forget that if you have ADSL broadband then every socket should have a micro-filter fitted.

·
Yo Ho TiVo!
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try picking up the phone when it says it's trying to dial. See if you can hear the usual old 'modem' tones. Also, try turning off Set Phone Available Detect and Set Dial Tone Detect to 'Off'.
Thanks for that Carl. Tried it and could definitely hear the "modem noises"

Don't forget that if you have ADSL broadband then every socket should have a micro-filter fitted.
Aha - that's probably it - no micro-filter on that socket. Only found out it was there this afternoon - never had to use the phone in that room.

Off to eBay again to pick up a microfilter :)

·
wassock
724 Posts
:) You can plug the broadband modem straight in to the phone socket (i.e. it doesn't need a microfilter - the mf is only to stop interference from the phone affecting the adsl signals)

·
129 Posts
:) You can plug the broadband modem straight in to the phone socket (i.e. it doesn't need a microfilter - the mf is only to stop interference from the phone affecting the adsl signals)
Except they use different connectors ...

The *best* way to do it is to plug a filter into the master socket, plug the adsl router/modem in it's site, and connect *all* the extension wiring to the phone socket on the filter. That way you only have a single filter loading the line, and all the extensions and phones run through that. Easy if you have plug-in extensions, but a bit tricky if the extensions are wired to the back of the phone socket.. You can get filtered face-plates which do it, which work very well.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Except they use different connectors ...

The *best* way to do it is to plug a filter into the master socket, plug the adsl router/modem in it's site, and connect *all* the extension wiring to the phone socket on the filter. That way you only have a single filter loading the line, and all the extensions and phones run through that. Easy if you have plug-in extensions, but a bit tricky if the extensions are wired to the back of the phone socket.. You can get filtered face-plates which do it, which work very well.
Yep - that's the solution I use here. I also have a REN-booster after my microfilter before I feed all of my extensions so that my old beige GPO dial phone rings! (Something very nice about a proper ringing phone!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.