TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
All the Hype for this in the article is exactly what a TiVo does now :)

except for "Philips hopes to make money from the product through its personalized advertising capability."

so it remains to be seen if they can do better than TiVo at aggregating content for the end viewer. Maybe this will spur TiVo to give us the ability to do our own folder work in Now playing area.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
MickeS said:
"TiVo offers a similar feature, TiVo Suggestions, but users must tell the system explicitly whether they like a program, and it learns and makes guesses about what else they could like based on that."

Why is it that everytime I know something about a subject covered in a news article, they end up getting it wrong?

Makes me think that they never get anything right.

At least I have not once used the thumbs up or down, and I get plenty of suggestions based on what I record.

I think the user-specific aspects mentioned in the article sound interesting. I and others have proposed many times before that TiVo should do a user-based UI.
heck just folders we can create on our own (so per user in a sense) and manage would be good

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
wolflord11 said:
Tivo needs some competition, otherwise you all will still be using the same units and software you are using now in 10 years time. Why would any company need to bring out improvements when they have no competition? Think about it.
if TiVo was making piles of money that may be true. Instead a lot of innovations have come out after ReplayTV folded.

now that being said Philips providing competition would be great since it would help spur sales of 3rd party DVR solutions and be a partner with TiVo in regulatory matters. The fact that TiVo would have to compete with someone that also has a good feature set is the icing on the cake for us end users.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.