TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I set up a television in my exercise area and blew the dust off my unused DSR6000 to use with the TV I moved there. The unit has been boxed in my basement since moving and hasn't been reused due to having upgraded to the HD box.

When I plugged in the unit, I got the "Powering Up..." message on a grey screen. It would stay there for about a minute, then there would be a flash of colors, followed by the "Powering Up..." message again. :confused:

I thought there just might be a glitch in the system, so I did what any normal person would do and unplugged the unit a couple of times to see if a hard restart would resolve the issue.

Instead, I now have a unit where the power light does not turn on when the unit is plugged in and there is absolutely no picture on the screen. :mad:

I know it's difficult to diagnose this stuff with so little information, but does this sound like a hard drive or power supply issue?

I hate that I just purchased a multiswitch to watch this TV while working out, and now the TiVo crapped out on me.

Any thoughts from the group on if this is fixable? Or do I just punt and snag a used one from Craigslist (I'm not ready to experience the DirecTV DVR quite yet...) :p

· User
803 Posts
JimSpence said:
I'd pop the cover off and reseat all internal connectors.
As a first step, there is a white ribbon cable that connects the power supply to the main circuit board. Clean the contacts with an eraser and make sure that it's seated properly at both ends.

Also check the connections at the hard drive. The ide ribbon cable should be checked both at the hard drive and on the main circuit board. Also make sure the power plug is connected to the hard drive.

Good Luck.

· Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts
Check the White Ribbon Cable first.

Other than that, its the Hard Drive or Power Supply. Sounds like the Power Supply if the Power Light is not coming on.

Is the Cooling fan working? This could also point to the Power Supply.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help.

Locally, I've found a few sellers of TiVo units on Craigslist, but I was offered a deal through D* to upgrade the dish to the MPEG4 dish and get the HR20 for less than what the used units cost.

Given the signficant number of new HD channels coming in September, I think I'm going to end up going that direction.

Thanks again.

· Banned
2,486 Posts
smptc73 said:
Thanks for all your help.

Locally, I've found a few sellers of TiVo units on Craigslist, but I was offered a deal through D* to upgrade the dish to the MPEG4 dish and get the HR20 for less than what the used units cost.

Given the signficant number of new HD channels coming in September, I think I'm going to end up going that direction.

Thanks again.
You made the right choice. You won't miss the TiVo one bit.

· resU deretsigeR
274 Posts
Well, (IMHO) you will miss the tivo but since there isn't a HD tivo unit, you went with the best choice. :)
Now put the series 1 unit up on Ebay and sell it. Just make sure you disclose it has a bad hard drive. It will still sell just fine.

good luck,
mark

· Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts
The only unit capable of receiving HD via Sat is the Directv DVR's, so the OP had to make the choice: Tivo and no HD, or HD and no Tivo.

As things are moving more and more towards HD, the Op made the right move :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.