TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an existing Comcast subscriber for TV and Internet (something called Blast Plus -- weak selection of TV channels, 105 Mbps Internet, HBO). I attempted to upgrade to a better Double Play plan available to new customers -- more channels, slower speed -- but Comcast wouldn't sell it to me (even though I'd be paying them more per month than I am now). Bizarre, really, as they'll be getting nothing when I've made the switch to FiOS.

I told the FiOS chat agent I worked with that I had a Tivo Roamio, but he kept asking how many TVs I wanted connected (I have five). My understanding is that I need a cable card for the Roamio DVR and that's all, because my four Tivo Minis will supply programming to the other four TVs.

Is this assumption correct, or will I have to pay Verizon a per-TV charge even though I have Minis? Also, do I need a special type of cable card (multi-stream?) to feed multiple TVs, or will any cable card do this?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm an existing Comcast subscriber for TV and Internet (something called Blast Plus -- weak selection of TV channels, 105 Mbps Internet, HBO). I attempted to upgrade to a better Double Play plan available to new customers -- more channels, slower speed -- but Comcast wouldn't sell it to me (even though I'd be paying them more per month than I am now). Bizarre, really, as they'll be getting nothing when I've made the switch to FiOS.

I told the FiOS chat agent I worked with that I had a Tivo Roamio, but he kept asking how many TVs I wanted connected (I have five). My understanding is that I need a cable card for the Roamio DVR and that's all, because my four Tivo Minis will supply programming to the other four TVs.

Is this assumption correct, or will I have to pay Verizon a per-TV charge even though I have Minis? Also, do I need a special type of cable card (multi-stream?) to feed multiple TVs, or will any cable card do this?
The FIOS packages do not include any equipment in the price. You will just need the cable card in addition to your package price. They will give you the correct cablecard. Always call verizon for the best deal. You will find FIOS to be superior to Comcast in every way.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Whatever cablecard you get from Fios will work. The old single-stream cards aren't in circulation anymore.

The rep is confused because they're following an ordering script. Just say 1 TV, as that will be the only TV in service by them.

Some people have a hard time getting cablecards when first establishing Fios service. If you get one, then great. If you have trouble getting a cablecard on the order, you might need to order an STB instead, and then order a card once your account is created and return the STB. Slight pain in the butt.

·
1*
237 Posts
When I ordered FIOS, I did it on-line and stated that I was going to have one TV. Once my order was confirmed, I called up and had my order modified. I told the CSR that I was supplying my own box (TiVo Roamio Pro) and that I needed a cable card. The CSR adjusted my order to remove the cable box and added in the cable card.

The only issue I had was that the install tech did not see the note about the cable card and did not show up with one. He contacted his boss and someone brought one out to him. He also did not notice that I had marked that I had my own FIOS router and also showed up with one. He ended up leaving the one he brought with me, so now I have an extra one.

I only pay for the one cable card on a monthly basis.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,690 Posts
You might find that Fios is the better deal all things considered. But before you decide, try calling Comcast again, select the option to cancel service, and then see if the CSR who answers is more responsive to offering you a deal once you announce your intention to switch to another provider. The more often you call, the better the chances of finding someone willing to negotiate.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Just tell them you have 1 TV and that you only need 1 CableCard. They have no way of knowing about or charging you for using Minis at other TVs. Trying to explain it to them will only confuse the high school dropouts working the phones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.