TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested, I have written a little app that runs on a Windows PC that will estimate the space remaining on a TiVo unit that is networked and running version 7.x.

Here is a link to a page where it can be downloaded: http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org

Thanks in advance for anyone giving it a test.

Sorry for anyone who doesn't run Windows or is not networked. I know it isn't nearly the same as having an indicator/screen on the TiVo unit itself, but it works for me.

· Registered
6 Posts
This is a great app for checking space. I loaded it in minutes. I recently upgraded my 40 hr to a 250 gig HD. At this time I have 56 shows filling 58 hours and your app has a graph showing me I'm only 28% filled!

This is nit-picking, but could I assign specific colors to the graph?

This is really helpful. Now if we could get a galleon Tivo version.

Thank you!

· Now in HD
5,824 Posts
Hmmm.

I entered my disk space as 301 GB (I've added a hard drive). But the app is showing 85 GB free (28.3%). This isn't jiving with my poor-man's FSI. I have suggestions on but the folder is empty. Which I thought meant I don't have any free space left at all. :confused:

· tivo_xml developer
1,818 Posts
greg_burns said:
Hmmm.

I entered my disk space as 301 GB (I've added a hard drive). But the app is showing 85 GB free (28.3%). This isn't jiving with my poor-man's FSI. I have suggestions on but the folder is empty. Which I thought meant I don't have any free space left at all. :confused:
The TiVo may not be recording suggestions in anticipation upcoming requested recordings.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Love the program. Now I can finally turn off suggestions.

I keep getting a security alert. Here it is:

Information you exchange with this website cannot be viewed or changed by others. However there is a problem with the site's security certificate.

The security certificate ws issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority.

Security certificate date is valid.

Name on security certificate is invalid or does not match the name on the site.

Certificate Details:

Issued To - My Tivo Serial Number
Issued By - My Tivo Serial Number
Valid from 1/19/2005 to 1/17/2005

Should I go ahead and install the certificate?

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Proudleftie said:
This is a great app for checking space. I loaded it in minutes. I recently upgraded my 40 hr to a 250 gig HD. At this time I have 56 shows filling 58 hours and your app has a graph showing me I'm only 28% filled!

This is nit-picking, but could I assign specific colors to the graph?

This is really helpful. Now if we could get a galleon Tivo version.

Thank you!
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

I debated over and experimented with several different color schemes before deciding to stay with TiVo's own colors from the Now Playing List. I guess green means safe from deletion and yellow means warning may be deleted, black looked reasonble for the free space.

I definately will consider allowing user configurable colors in a future version, but I'm not sure how much priority it will get.

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TivoZorro said:
Love the program. Now I can finally turn off suggestions.

I keep getting a security alert. Here it is:

Information you exchange with this website cannot be viewed or changed by others. However there is a problem with the site's security certificate.

The security certificate ws issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority.

Security certificate date is valid.

Name on security certificate is invalid or does not match the name on the site.

Certificate Details:

Issued To - My Tivo Serial Number
Issued By - My Tivo Serial Number
Valid from 1/19/2005 to 1/17/2005

Should I go ahead and install the certificate?
What you are seeing is no different than what you should see if you simply browse to your TiVo using your web browser.

It's really up to you whether to install the security certifificate, but should be perfectly safe and save an extra pop-up screen.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
dcahoe said:
What you are seeing is no different than what you should see if you simply browse to your TiVo using your web browser.

It's really up to you whether to install the security certifificate, but should be perfectly safe and save an extra pop-up screen.
I figured that everything was cool. Just wanted to ask before I did the install. Thanks for replying and taking the time to set up this great app for us.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
Access Denied. Bandwidth limit exceeded.
Exceeded your Bandwidth quota? Has your hobby grown into a thriving business? Sounds like you need to upgrade from your BellSouth Personal Web Page to BellSouth Shared Web Hosting!

..... <sigh> email me & perhaps I can help with some space. I've got to run it by the hubby first tho.

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alyssa said:
Access Denied. Bandwidth limit exceeded.
Exceeded your Bandwidth quota? Has your hobby grown into a thriving business? Sounds like you need to upgrade from your BellSouth Personal Web Page to BellSouth Shared Web Hosting!

..... <sigh> email me & perhaps I can help with some space. I've got to run it by the hubby first tho.
LOL, just wait until tomorrow and try it again.

I originally tried just putting up the .exe for download, it was only 50k zipped. But the first person who downloaded it needed some MS ActiveX controls which can be freely downloaded several places. To simplify the process, I created an install package for people to download and it is now 1.8mb which does eat up my small bandwidth allowance fast.

· Registered
514 Posts
Well, it is either still YESTERDAY or today's bandwidth is already gone (g)

What's funny is the "error" message disappears quickly replaced by one that indicates a generic that "I'm out of space" and can apply for more.

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
greg_burns said:
Hmmm.

gonzotek said:
The TiVo may not be recording suggestions in anticipation upcoming requested recordings.
Also, check out this page from the TiVo support site:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv070502.htm

· Now in HD
5,824 Posts
dcahoe said:
Also, check out this page from the TiVo support site:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv070502.htm
Thanks, but I think it is working correctly. If I go in and delete some shows it starts recording suggestions again. Kinda makes the results of a FSI a little tricky to interpret (considering what gonzotek said).

Noticed shows starting with numbers (like 24) are being right aligned in your grid.

Any plans of posting the source code? I wouldn't mind upgrading it to VB.NET with a pretty graph from Chart FX. :)

· TiVoPlayList Author
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fred2 said:
Well, it is either still YESTERDAY or today's bandwidth is already gone (g)

What's funny is the "error" message disappears quickly replaced by one that indicates a generic that "I'm out of space" and can apply for more.
OK, my bandwidth problems should be solved. I have the files on an FTP server now, so download at will!!!

Also, I have posted a new version that corrects some Title/Description issues. Anyone who has already downloaded and installed the program can just download and replace the .exe instead of doing another full install.

And keep checking back for new versions!

Link: http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

· Registered
514 Posts
dcahoe said:
OK, my bandwidth problems should be solved. I have the files on an FTP server now, so download at will!!!

Also, I have posted a new version that corrects some Title/Description issues. Anyone who has already downloaded and installed the program can just download and replace the .exe instead of doing another full install.

And keep checking back for new versions!

Link:
Still getting the server download intercept error, I'm sorry to report. I will try again.....

· Registered
43 Posts
This is a nice app. I see that version .41 now left aligns all the show titles, including the ones that start numeric; nice fix.

I'd also like to see the date columns (date recorded, date aired) for sorting, plus adding the icons yellow/yellow exclamation/green/suggestion, would be nice.

Thanks for a very handy app,
MW

· Registered
1,336 Posts
dcahoe,
I was able to download it but am having another problem. When I try and add an IP address I receive the message Load Error: Check IP Address. I am copy/paste my Tivo's IP Address from Galleon which is currently haveing no problems connecting. I'm on a wired network.

· Now in HD
5,824 Posts
alyssa said:
dcahoe,
I was able to download it but am having another problem. When I try and add an IP address I receive the message Load Error: Check IP Address. I am copy/paste my Tivo's IP Address from Galleon which is currently haveing no problems connecting. I'm on a wired network.
What happens if you just try accessing your Tivo via the web page?

example...

https://192.168.1.2/nowplaying/index.html

make sure you use your ip address above and notice the "s" in https://

username: tivo
password: your MAK + (4 digit parental code if used)

also try opening a DOS command window and typing

ping 192.168.1.2

(again replacing your with your Tivo's IP)

That just verifies your PC is communicating with the Tivo on that IP address

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.