TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new problem this week/weekend. This has never happened to me before, so I am confused. Several programs reported their length as zero (partial). I have seen this before, but in those cases, there really was only about a minute recorded. In each of the cases this weekend, the entire program was there, and it played back just fine, with two exceptions: The 30 second skip, and fast forward buttons didn't work, and gave me a "bong" sound when I tried to use them. I don't remember trying the reverse buttons. And, the program position gage showed no green, only white, just as if there was no content. The position indicator never progressed, but, like I said, the entire show and its content were there and accessible.

As I am thinking about it now, I feel this was happening only to programming on the second tuner. I should go try this tonight to see if that indeed is the situation.

Has anyone seen this and knows of a fix (No, I haven't unplugged it yet)? Is my TIVO dying?

· Registered
53 Posts
Church AV Guy said:
I found a new problem this week/weekend. This has never happened to me before, so I am confused. Several programs reported their length as zero (partial). I have seen this before, but in those cases, there really was only about a minute recorded. In each of the cases this weekend, the entire program was there, and it played back just fine, with two exceptions: The 30 second skip, and fast forward buttons didn't work, and gave me a "bong" sound when I tried to use them. I don't remember trying the reverse buttons. And, the program position gage showed no green, only white, just as if there was no content. The position indicator never progressed, but, like I said, the entire show and its content were there and accessible.

As I am thinking about it now, I feel this was happening only to programming on the second tuner. I should go try this tonight to see if that indeed is the situation.

Has anyone seen this and knows of a fix (No, I haven't unplugged it yet)? Is my TIVO dying?
That happens on my HR10-250, too. Re-booting doesn't fix it as it still happens after that. I re-boot every 3 weeks for preventative maintenance.

However, I did reset a Season Pass the last time it happened, and the program recorded as planned (and in its entirety) after that.

· Poster of News
30,419 Posts
Church AV Guy said:
how can you tell which tuner records which program?

· Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
newsposter said:
how can you tell which tuner records which program?
Well, it's a bit complicated, but here it is. I record a program every day to my DVD recorder. Tivo has a good/bad habit (It's a blessing, and a curse-- Adrian Monk) of always recording the "first" thing on the tuner you are currently NOT watching, so I was always getting a recording of what I didn't want. To deal with this, I put in a manual recording starting before my program, and ending at the start time of my program. I set the program I want, to start two minutes earlier than its official start time so I am forcing the TIVO to record AND to "show" my program, which the DVD recorder then happily records. The programs that were reporting zero length were the ones I wanted, and the ones that reported the correct length were the manual recorded shows. I unplugged the satellite two line, and the channel that reported losing the sat signal was sat 2, and I could see that it was on the station that I wanted to record, while sat 1 was on the station I had chosen for the manual record.

Last evening, I started two simultaneous recordings, and they both worked properly and reported the correct length of finished program. I'm stumped.

· Registered
2 Posts
My HR10-250 is doing the same thing. Power off/reboot does not fix it. The problem is very intermittent. I noticed that when it is supposed to record, the channel that is selected is "stuck", meaning, watch it live and you only get a grey screen. If I change to another channel and then back, it comes back alive and records as normal. Others have stated that is may be a bad tuner or multi-switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.