TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
25,610 Posts
Yeah, they offered me a free month, but ST: D hasn't restarted so there's no point.
Not exactly a reply to your post but it reminds me.. for new members..

When you try to go there 'regularly', I see week long trials for new members.. but I googled it last night and there are apparently month long coupons... and those offers apparently are good until the end of the year.

I'm missing ONE ep of Scorpion near the end and see that it's on there. (Plus there's a small glitch in one I was watching yesterday and I'll probably check that out.)

If the free month lets you get the commercial free version too, I'll probably try it for a month. (I sort of wish the month long offers let you add on to your other services, like Hulu & amazon are doing now.)

· Registered
25,610 Posts
Ugh, no. What I wish is that CBS would join Hulu, where the other networks already do this, for one low price. (Granted, it's not available for all shows. I guess it depends who owns the rights.)
But last year, at least a bunch of CBS aired shows WERE on Hulu.... and it seems like the movement is towards even MORE separate channels/subscriptions. (e.g. isn't Disney also making their own?)

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I did a month free intending for it to be most of december.. then paid a month, was going to cancel, and got the same 50% off 2 months. I should figure out when that ends so I cancel for real that time.

They are better than Hulu in some ways: No annoying "8:30PM Tuesdays" pre-show roll. Also, the shows USUALLY show up minutes after they aired on TV. (not the next day/middle of the night)

Worse than Hulu: ALWAYS shrinks the credits, ALWAYS starts playing something else afterwards, which ends up adding shows I DON'T want to watch to the shows you watch list. The captions are also missing all apostrophes, which is annoying.

But anyway, I still might start Tivoing most of the CBS shows SD only as "backup", but really just re-subscribe to watch them all easily commercial free in the summer. (but if they give me another offer when I try to cancel again, I might take it. I can _afford_ it, but it seems silly to duplicate so much that I already get on cable. I would gladly pay for a service that had ALL shows I wanted to watch, commercial free, and at the very least always had the current full season and very clear expiration info.)

· Registered
25,610 Posts
Yes, but I have my D* sub for that! What I'm saying is that the original programming is not worth paying for, especially when I can stream the other broadcast channels and more for free.
Well, I do plan to eventually cancel it (I re-upped when they gave me 2 months at half price).. But paying for convenience is handy..

i.e. even though I tivo them for backup, being able to watch them WITH NO COMMERCIALS and less onscreen advertising (there is still a network bug, but not animated other-show-ads) is useful.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
My next charge day is the 24th.. I started the cancel process the other day and it didn't offer me another discount (didn't think it would).

I can also switch to yearly at $99 (or maybe $99.99 I forget) a year. That's a bit better.

Funny thing is, I can afford all of this. It's the *duplication* that bugs me more than the total cost. (Obv since have Tivos that require cable, I'm not completely getting rid of cable for many many years.. and as I said before, I tivo the shows as a 'backup' but nowadays watch on these streaming services when I can, for no commercials..)

I may cancel for a few days to see if they email me a "come back" offer, and to see what announcement comes out next week. But I can more easily imagine paying it as a yearly thing and just stick with cable + hulu + cbs.. for at least a year.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
but not all shows have even the CURRENT season in full, much less previous seasons.

The first thing I do when I go into the Hulu app is go to the 'expiring' section. It's been empty for the past week or so for me.. but usually I have 10 days to 2 weeks to make sure I watch whatever shows up there... but once in a while an entire show shows up there and there are too many to watch or I have to watch JUST that show to catch up.

so having them on my tivo as backup is good.. even though I'm often TivoING in just SD for some of these..

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I did finally cancel mine. I will likely be back in the summer if not sooner. Admittedly the $100 yearly almost tempted me not to cancel.

Like I said elsewhere, it's not the absolute price, it's the duplication of the same stuff on various services I'm paying for that slightly bugs me. (only slightly since as I have purposely "duplicated" cable as a backup)

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I watch all of the CBS shows I watch on there.. (well, except for Big Brother, which I'm now watching again via extra-sped up Quickplay on TiVo). but e.g. Bull, FBI, both of which I have to catch up on.. I watch there.

The only new thing added this time that sounded interesting was 'some' of The Challenge from MTV.. but again, I wish these streaming services let me watch at least 1.5x. I would watch reality shows (including past seasons I had skipped if available) via streaming then.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
This makes sense to me. To alot of consumers, the CBS All Access name probably just makes them think it's an extension of the television network.

CBS All Access May Be Rebranded As Paramount+
yeah, heh, I thought that might get me that Yellowstone show (though I have far more than I can watch already, so I was only mildly curious).. but the other response shoots that down.

As much as people think networks are dead, etc., I think CBS is overall a far better name. Though heck, the biggest name associated with Paramount was Star Trek.. and now of course CBS All Access advertises its Trek shows up the wazoo. (Which is so weird since I know it orig aired on NBC.. and yes I know production company and airing network are different.)

· Registered
25,610 Posts
With the half price for two months deal, I've used it several times. And every time they charged me full price at the first billing. So I have to call them and they always gave me the second month for free. No idea why that always happened but as long as the cost was the same for me I was fine with it.
Did you ever WAIT? Are you sure they wouldn't've just given the 2nd month free anyway?

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I get your point, and it sounds like you had to have them correct it.. but maybe they really did implement it as 1 month free, since the total cost is the same. Before I subscribed yearly, I think I did see the 50% off show up for me once or twice. I mean properly charge me 50% each month..

· Registered
25,610 Posts
The only show I had an interest in on CBSAA was Picard. Just started The Stand, so no opinion yet on if I like it. Therefore I see no reason to subscribe to CBSAA.
I see the advantage because I can watch the shows commercial free. They also seem to have multiple seasons of most shows (though The Amazing Race only had the current season when I started watching the last couple of episodes the other day). I pay yearly.

Amazing Race, Survivor, a couple of the dramas (though I'm way behind) and a couple of the sitcoms.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
Biggest complaint for me now is the lack of an app on TiVo's, and also an older LG TV that is missing the app.
I realize it doesn't help you, but my new LG TV does have a CBS app.. (It doesn't have a HBO app though.)
The TV's apps are FAR better than the ones in my 'old' Tivos (Roamio Pro, Premiere 4).. and the only time I ever have to change inputs is for my playstation (and/or other things I add).. but basically I can leave it on the Tivo Mini's input 99% of the time, and just bring up the TV apps on top of that. (I'm one of those who wish video devices just had video pass through, or MUCH faster input switching on TVs.)

Also, I saw a news headline today saying that Paramount+ is getting a prequel series to Yellowstone? But the initial confusion about the Paramount+ that I and others had (earlier in this thread), is that Yellowstone WON'T be on Paramount.. but this new show will? Even more confusion IMO...

I hope cbs.com will still work as a way to get there. (I don't ever actually WATCH on the web, but to look at my account settings or rarely add a new show to my watch list or something.)

I'm yearly ($99 yearly) through the beginning of July.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I did figure it out the other day.. I was able to add the promo to my account the other day and it still shows "50% off 12 months", but my renewal isn't until July.

So I don't know if it really will actually work. (Not like I really care.. this is more of a 'game'.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts