TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,695 Posts
One thing I liked -- until very late in the series, it wasn't clear whether the timeline(s) could be changed, or whether the girls just didn't remember their younger selves' journey because of the memory erasure tech. But then we saw Larry die twice.

Anyway, yeah, that was the only thing I thought was really resolved in season one.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,695 Posts
One thing I liked -- until very late in the series, it wasn't clear whether the timeline(s) could be changed, or whether the girls just didn't remember their younger selves' journey because of the memory erasure tech. But then we saw Larry die twice.

Anyway, yeah, that was the only thing I thought was really resolved in season one.
I went and spoiled myself by reading the Wikipedia article about the comic. Lots of changes, and...

This looks like one: "She explains to Tiffany that they had attempted millions of times to change the past but were always unsuccessful."

Or maybe the show runners just didn't think about it, which would be disappointing.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,695 Posts
If the timeline was immutable, it would not have made any sense to have a war about whether to preserve it.
That depends on whether the characters knew it was immutable. For example... in the first Terminator movie (taken by itself, and ignoring the sequels), Skynet clearly believes that the past can be altered. But the timeline we're eventually presented with is circular -- Kyle Reese always went back, since John Connor wouldn't exist otherwise, to send him back later. Sarah Connor was radicalized into the person who raised John to defeat the Terminators, because the Terminator came back. The events are self-consistent, and there is only one timeline. It was the very attempt to alter the past that created it.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,695 Posts
One would think that the first thing to establish when you have a reliable time machine is whether or not time is mutable. If your theory of time travel is complete you would know it before you built it. You certainly would not fight the war while that is still an open question.
Well now you're just getting in the way of drama. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts