TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got finished this series. Granted I watched while I was tired and may have missed something, but did this end on a cliffhanger? Seems they "landed" sometime in the past and it looked like it wasn't 1988, but sometime in the late 1960s! So, does this mean that there's a season 2?

Overall I thought the show was just OK. The timetravel stuff seemed a bit convoluted and it definitely dragged in the middle episodes when they wound up in 1999. The main problems I had were that A) the kids just didn't seem as "in awe" enough at the tech and societal changes, outside if a little bit about the internet. But heck, even COMPUTERS themselves should have really had them much more curious than it appeared. Second, when they met "themselves" it felt to me that it was more like they were talking to a parent then themselves. There seemed few references (though there were a few) where they brought up things from their past that they both remembered. But to me it was something they needed to explore more.

I don't read comics so maybe they do some of that in the comics, but it just felt there was too much of a disconnect between the two versions of each other, and they felt like completely different people.

I'll watch a season 2 because I generally enjoyed the series, but it just wasn't as good to me as folks in other threads said.

·
Dumb Blond
47,599 Posts
My wife watched all of it and was disappointed that it never seemed to go anywhere. She also commented that the production values were reminiscent of the early Doctor Who shows (that is, terrible), and had little interest in a second season. I watched most of the last episode and thought it was bad.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife watched all of it and was disappointed that it never seemed to go anywhere. She also commented that the production values were reminiscent of the early Doctor Who shows (that is, terrible), and had little interest in a second season. I watched most of the last episode and thought it was bad.
To me, what saved it was that I thought the kids acting was really pretty good. But in a lot of respects, the girls represented the spectrum of 21s century teenage girl tropes. You had the rebel, tough girl, you have the braniac, you have the rich girl and you had the new girl. I've seen these same tropes in movies for 40 years. But anyway, I thought their acting was good. Yes the tech in the movie were definitely not great. But I thought the story needed some work, and they could have cut out a lot of the character drama, but I get meeting "yourself" and seeing how you turned out was a natural way to go. Another nitpick, The older selves (and siblings) seemed to accept the time travel without much question.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,618 Posts
did this end on a cliffhanger? Seems they "landed" sometime in the past and it looked like it wasn't 1988, but sometime in the late 1960s! So, does this mean that there's a season 2?
Yes, it's a cliffhanger as at least one of the two capsules is not where (when) the girls expected to find themselves, and because they're on a mission to change the future. But a season 2 has not been announced.

Based on the cars and clothes, the last scene at the drive-in looks like the Seventies to me. Plus the soundtrack was David Bowie's "Golden Years", which was released in 1975. "Golden Years, go-old, whop whop whop."

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
I enjoyed it. That said, a lot of the criticisms above and elsewhere are fair, they just weren't enjoyment-breaking for me. It didn't really draw me in until the third episode, I don't know if I would have made it that far without other people saying it was worth watching, but by the end of ep 3 it had found its footing and I kept watching out of interest (as opposed to peer pressure ;) ). And there were parts I think could have been done better, but different strokes for different folks.

ie, in another thread someone said they liked it, except for Mac. While I found Mac to be the most interesting character, I could have done without Erin. To each their own.

But overall, I enjoyed it, and hope for a season 2.

(We saw where one capsule ended up. Did we ever see any hints about the second capsule?)

·
Nice to see you
12,131 Posts
My favorite little scene was Mac stopping briefly in front of a 2019 bookstore to look at a flatscreen monitor being used as a display in the window -- that's a good observation of something that's not really flashy that would nevertheless seem futuristic to someone from 1988.

I couldn't resist, and read the Wikipedia plot summary of the graphic novel series. There are a number of elements that didn't make it into the TV series, and I'll be curious to see if any of them wind up in a second season (such as trips thousands of years into the future and past, as well as clones).

·
MacAphile AV geek
517 Posts
My wife bought the serialized 6 book graphic novel series from barnes and Noble last year, and was excited to see it as a TV show. We had been binging Deep Space Nine (she'd never seen it when it first aired) so we binged papergirls over 2 nights. Enjoyed it, but I do wonder how many seasons they'll get out of the series. I just read the books over the last couple days - not bad but I was unsatisfied at the finale. (no spoilers).

·
I am Groot!
64,380 Posts
My favorite little scene was Mac stopping briefly in front of a 2019 bookstore to look at a flatscreen monitor being used as a display in the window -- that's a good observation of something that's not really flashy that would nevertheless seem futuristic to someone from 1988.

I couldn't resist, and read the Wikipedia plot summary of the graphic novel series. There are a number of elements that didn't make it into the TV series, and I'll be curious to see if any of them wind up in a second season (such as trips thousands of years into the future and past, as well as clones).
The show stripped a lot of the science fiction out of the comic story, and added some character work...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, it's a cliffhanger as at least one of the two capsules is not where (when) the girls expected to find themselves, and because they're on a mission to change the future. But a season 2 has not been announced.

Based on the cars and clothes, the last scene at the drive-in looks like the Seventies to me. Plus the soundtrack was David Bowie's "Golden Years", which was released in 1975. "Golden Years, go-old, whop whop whop."
The Longest Yard was playing at the drive-in came out in summer '74

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,538 Posts
One thing I liked -- until very late in the series, it wasn't clear whether the timeline(s) could be changed, or whether the girls just didn't remember their younger selves' journey because of the memory erasure tech. But then we saw Larry die twice.

Anyway, yeah, that was the only thing I thought was really resolved in season one.

·
Retired
14,885 Posts
I'm just about to start the final episode and I've really enjoyed the series so far. I've not read the comics. I like the cast (especially Larry from Harry's Law, Mom, and For All Mankind).

The first few eps I wondered if Prioress was going to be future Tiff, but doesn't appear to be the case.

KJ discovering her future sexuality and Mac discovering her future cancer death were both very emotional. And all of the 12 yo girls dealing with periods was especially poignant.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,538 Posts
One thing I liked -- until very late in the series, it wasn't clear whether the timeline(s) could be changed, or whether the girls just didn't remember their younger selves' journey because of the memory erasure tech. But then we saw Larry die twice.

Anyway, yeah, that was the only thing I thought was really resolved in season one.
I went and spoiled myself by reading the Wikipedia article about the comic. Lots of changes, and...

This looks like one: "She explains to Tiffany that they had attempted millions of times to change the past but were always unsuccessful."

Or maybe the show runners just didn't think about it, which would be disappointing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
it makes me sad that the first episode is such a slog for most people, as it really does improve once they get all of the characters established. Maybe we should tell people to skip to the big reveal in the final 5 minutes of the first episode before quitting. Or consider this show to be more about characters than sci-fi plot. Maybe it's just not for everyone.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it makes me sad that the first episode is such a slog for most people, as it really does improve once they get all of the characters established. Maybe we should tell people to skip to the big reveal in the final 5 minutes of the first episode before quitting. Or consider this show to be more about characters than sci-fi plot. Maybe it's just not for everyone.
I liked the first episode and I thought it moved along pretty well. It was the middle 2-3 episodes that I felt slogged along when the melodramatic stories dominated, and it got boring. Then it picked up again in the last 2.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts

If the timeline was immutable, it would not have made any sense to have a war about whether to preserve it.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,538 Posts
If the timeline was immutable, it would not have made any sense to have a war about whether to preserve it.
That depends on whether the characters knew it was immutable. For example... in the first Terminator movie (taken by itself, and ignoring the sequels), Skynet clearly believes that the past can be altered. But the timeline we're eventually presented with is circular -- Kyle Reese always went back, since John Connor wouldn't exist otherwise, to send him back later. Sarah Connor was radicalized into the person who raised John to defeat the Terminators, because the Terminator came back. The events are self-consistent, and there is only one timeline. It was the very attempt to alter the past that created it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts