TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Thread Killer
11,754 Posts
Here is an oversized remote that works with a Tivo (Premiere):

:)

Seriously the only way one of those you are talking about would work with Tivo would be if it could learn commands. I don't know if those can do that or not.

· Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is an oversized remote that works with a Tivo (Premiere):

:)

Seriously the only way one of those you are talking about would work with Tivo would be if it could learn commands. I don't know if those can do that or not.
haha I have one of those, but it would only make things worse.

It's for an older person that just needs to be able to read the buttons and I saw a really cheap one at bed bath and beyond, but it was no good. I think you might be right.

· Registered
16,635 Posts
haha I have one of those, but it would only make things worse.

It's for an older person that just needs to be able to read the buttons and I saw a really cheap one at bed bath and beyond, but it was no good. I think you might be right.
You could try entering the code for a Philips VCR.

Or maybe a Philips made satellite receiver.

· Registered
16,635 Posts
Philips equipment usually uses their proprietary RC-5 or RC-6 protocol. TiVos use a modified version of the NEC-1 protocol. They're totally different critters.
When I got my first S1, a used Philips, from a fellow Slashdotter whose roommate had moved away to parts unknown and left it behind several years earlier, it came with no remote.

I had a broken DirecTV receiver I got, with its remote, from someone else. It was a Philips. It didn't have all the right buttons, but the TiVo did respond to it in limited fashion.

A little later I spotted a closeout on a Philips universal at Circuit City. TiVo was one of the brands listed on the package.

It lists 2 codes for TiVo, 738 and 838 (on later similar Magnavox universals it's 0738 and 0838). Turns out 738 is for Philips-made TiVos (and also works with SA S2 DTs) and 838 is for the Sony model.

On the same code sheet, in the VCR section, one of the codes listed for Philips VCRs is 738 and one of the codes listed for Sony VCRs is 838.

If the OP already picked up one of those big universals, he/she might as
well give the VCR codes a try before throwing in the towel.

Occasionally I *do* know what I'm talking about.

· Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Sorry, I did say "usually". ;)

The Series 1 Sonys (and I think the Series 2 Sonys) used the Sony IR format. The Series 1 Philips TiVos used the modified NEC1 format that has become the standard for almost all TiVos since then.

99% of the Philips satellite and cable boxes that I can find use RC-6. If the OP already has one of those remotes it's worth a shot, but if they have the right codes in the remote I would expect it to be listed as TiVo.

· Super Moderator
55,696 Posts
The original remote, that comes with the TiVo, has pretty big buttons. I'm not sure you'll find a universal remote with over sized buttons that has enough features to work with a TiVo. Except maybe one of those really high end Harmony remotes which is basically just a big touch screen.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.