TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Bolt VOX handle overlapping recordings on the same channel?

For example, let's say that a scheduled recording is set to begin on channel 123 at 7:59pm, and the recording is scheduled to end at 9:04pm.

And, there is another recording scheduled to begin at 8:59pm on the same channel 123.

Will the Tivo use the same tuner for both recordings?

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
But it appears that my overlapping recordings will require multiple tuners, and therefore some recordings will be truncated.
You may want to review your current clipping setting.

See: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Knowledge/Overlap-Protection-FAQ

I always disable clipping because I would rather the TiVo record a later airing of a program then clip the start/end. I always prioritize my SPs so that shows that only air once, like network shows, are at the top so it only effects cable shows that repeat anyway.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Seems like overflow from the pre-roll ads kerfuffle. "Badly" is an exaggeration; same channel overlap is handled the same as overlap for differing channels. Could it be better? Sure. Could it be worse? Whole bunches so.

Imperfect != Bad
Yes. Badly. I used a directv dvr for years and it used one tuner for back to back recordings even if you padded like crazy. To me, it is bad. I've always said it. Has nothing to do with any other issue.

And it can cause a recording to be missed. If you are using all your timers, it becomes a non-real conflict. Is that not bad? What would it have to be to be bad????

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Back when TiVo used to release new software a couple times a year, they released a version that tried to have a single tuner handle this situation (same channel overlap). Memory tells me 3-5 years ago, but my memory ain't what it used to be. It was a SNAFU (the software, not my memory :eek:). It didn't just not work well, it created all sorts of issues. Pixellation at the point the recordings overlapped. Now Playing List not updated until both recordings completed. Or Now Playing List showing both recordings, when only one was started. And more. Just a complete clusterfork.

It was removed fairly quickly, and never seen again. One of TiVo Margret's few failures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that's all very disappointing. It seems to be a simple thing to send data from one tuner to two different recording streams on the HDD.

But... I lived with it on Windows 7 Media Center for the past 8+ years, so I suppose I can live with it now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

EDIT:

I have already reviewed these settings. I am on TE4. Clipping is turned ON. Most of my recordings are network TV shows. I have already organized my "One Pass" recordings by my own priority.

On Windows Media Center, the pre-padding (recording time added before the show starts) was more important before I changed my PC to update the clock twice per day (Windows default is once every 7 days). When I changed the system clock to sync every 12 hours, the pre-padding issue went away.

So-far, I've noticed that the Tivo box records the beginning of the shows very accurately, so I probably don't need 1 minute of pre-padding.

But post-padding (recording time after the show is supposed to end) was MUCH more important on Windows Media Center, because the guide data was not updated when shows were delayed by "breaking news" or sports events.

On WMC, some shows that air on channels that typically air sports events (especially NFL games) needed post-padding of at least 30 minutes so that I could watch the entire show.

Will the Tivo automatically adjust if a sporting event runs into overtime, and therefore causing a scheduled show to be delayed (start and end times)?

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
I have already reviewed these settings. I am on TE4. Clipping is turned ON.
To each their own, but my preference is to have clipping turned off. Easier to manage on a 6-tuner cable setup. The included quote from @Dan203 provides a good strategy for prioritizing OnePasses in a cable setup, where many cable broadcasts have repeat airings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

To each their own, but my preference is to have clipping turned off. Easier to manage on a 6-tuner cable setup. The included quote from @Dan203 provides a good strategy for prioritizing OnePasses in a cable setup, where many cable broadcasts have repeat airings.
I agree that many shows repeat multiple times, but about 2/3 of my recordings are from the big networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX). Stuff repeats continuously on Showtime/HBO/MAX... and often repeats on AMC, etc.

So, I prioritize my recordings accordingly.

The big question in my most recent post is...

Will the Tivo automatically adjust if a sporting event runs into overtime, and therefore causing a scheduled show to be delayed (start and end times)?

When an NFL game goes long (as they usually do), will the Tivo adjust the start/end times automatically?

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
No, you'll need to do the same padding you did on WMC ... though the TiVo can be configured to prompt you to configure post-padding, as a reminder, when setting a recording for a LIVE event.

As to the ability you referenced, TiVo teased a Smart Extend feature that hasn't yet been delivered. I'm not sure if it's still in the works or dead. See the following for background, and pester @TiVo_Ted if wanting to check-in on its status.
It sure would be another critical feature for TE4, if delivered (and effective).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, you'll need to do the same padding you did on WMC ... though the TiVo can be configured to prompt you to configure post-padding, as a reminder, when setting a recording for a LIVE event.

As to the ability you referenced, TiVo teased a Smart Extend feature that hasn't yet been delivered. I'm not sure if it's still in the works or dead. See the following for background, and pester @TiVo_Ted if wanting to check-in on its status.
It sure would be another critical feature for TE4, if delivered (and effective).
I think I misstated my goal.

I don't care about the live sporting event. I don't watch sports. I am concerned about the scheduled recordings that happen AFTER the sporting event. Will the Tivo adust the start and/or end times for shows that happen AFTER the sporting event?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

I don't care about the live sporting event. I don't watch sports. I am concerned about the scheduled recordings that happen AFTER the sporting event. Will the Tivo adust the start and/or end times for shows that happen AFTER the sporting event?
I am one of the rare people who does not care one bit about sports. I am upset when a sporting event causes me to miss a recording AFTER the sporting event was scheduled to END.

In fact, in years past, I have configured commercial skipping software on my WMC system to skip the GAME so that I could watch ONLY the commercials during the super bowl.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Well, that's all very disappointing. It seems to be a simple thing to send data from one tuner to two different recording streams on the HDD.
It's just programming. I never did understand how TiVo flubbed it so bad, or why they gave up.

DirecTV does this remarkably well. Soft-padding also. One of the few things I prefer about my Genie over my TiVo.

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts

Well, if it doesn't yet auto-adjust for the sporting event ...

It's covered in the linked TCF thread. (short answer: no)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.