TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
dgh said:
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I'll mention it here too: You can get a TiVo for $20 after rebate at CompUSA.

Of course some people don't like fussing with rebates, but to send it back to TiVo you'd have to package and ship it and the shipping alone would probably cost $20.

If the CSR knew this (and hopefully mentioned it) then a new TiVo is really hard to beat for a monthly customer.
Best Buy is selling them for $20, too (at least the ones in my area are), though they are not advertising it. Or get one of the refurbs on tivo.com for $30 and get the instant rebate by paying for a year up front. Both options are cheaper than repairing the box.

If you currently have lifetime service, and don't want to try to fix it, you will be able to sell it on eBay and recoup most of your money.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
dgh said:
On a more apples to apples comparison: Back in the good old days I've lost as many as 4 VCRs within a year. I once had the same one die 3 times in 18 months. That one cost $899 but that was back when $899 was still real money ;)
On an even more apples to apples comparison we could talk computers. I've had one main board go bad, but long ago lost count of the hard drives that died. And I've also had hard drives last for quite a few years of daily use. Some of that is just the luck of the draw, but in my experience the primary reason for drive failure is the environment (or the inside of the box) getting too warm. Putting a TiVo on a TV or under a TV or in an enclosed cabinet -- where other electronics would probably be fine -- is asking for trouble.

·
Sr Legacy Member
866 Posts
I've own 3 tivos.

A Series 1, purchased in October 2000, and two Series 2, purchased later.

Not one has failed. If they ever do, it will likely be the harddrive.

You probably had a harddrive failure. They happen. They happen on PCs. You just happen to get a one that failed earlier than expected.

If you have a lifetime subscription, you don't want to replace the box unless you send it in to get repaired for $100...I would highly suggest that you buy an "upgraded" drive online...If you don't like the idea of opening your own box, you can send it it and they'll do the work for you.

You purchased the unit over a year ago, and given your complaint I assume you didn't buy any warranty extension, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I made a rule for myself a long time ago ...

Don't reply to threads from newbies blasting away the product.

I beleive some/many of them have other agendas.

If they really wanted help they would ask for it and not start complaining.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a quick question/hunch. Is your Tivo connected to a wireless network via Netgear WG111 adapter? I've been reading here and there about others who have had their Tivos freeze up on Saturday (myself included) who use this exact adapter.

And before anyone asks, I am using the one with the correct serial numbers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lethcoeb said:
As for my TiVo, next time the HD(s) die(s), I'm out another $200 or more bucks, plus the time it takes for Weaknees to ship a new HD (or two).
Being a newbie myself while evaluating TiVo, this was one of my concerns as well.

I like the lifetime subscription, expensive, but it makes sense in the long run. But if the unit dies, or you want to upgrade it, you are out of luck unless you dish out more $cash$.

Also, anything over 3 years old in the tech arena is pretty much outdated. I would be great if the TiVo lifetime subscription could be moved from old hardware to new, but No! :mad:

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
I like the lifetime subscription, expensive, but it makes sense in the long run. But if the unit dies, or you want to upgrade it, you are out of luck unless you dish out more $cash$.
Contrary to what the OP said, TiVo will repair/replace units. Also, people can and do upgrade units, and the resale value of lifetime is close to 100% If you're unusually scared, many retailers will be happy to sell you an extended warrantee. I don't recommend them though.

joe123j said:
Also, anything over 3 years old in the tech arena is pretty much outdated.
The CE world doesn't really move that fast. Most people I know bought their last VCR in the 80s. I was helping some friends install a new HDTV last week and it involved removing the 1990 TV, hooking the new one to their 1981 VCR and their 1985 LD player, and ~1980ish receiver. If you think about the evolution of each of those devices, they really didn't have any great need to update them. Likewise, you've just discovered TiVo even though it's over 6 years old. There may be some new gee wiz features in 3 years, but most people won't even notice until really major stuff happens. But if you must be on the absolute bleeding edge, be sure to take advantage of the high resale value of lifetime service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted this elsewhere, but thought it fit in well here. I could live with a YEAR before breakdown, but not this crap:

We've had TiVo for just over 3 MONTHS. Last week, it started "freezing". We'd turn on the t.v. then hit the tv input button to use TiVo, and the picture would either be frozen, or there'd be some odd screen with just black and green squiggles. It has missed recording some shows we had scheduled (Like 24! I can NOT believe it. I am in agony.)
I called Customer Support. I was told that I would be given a case number so that if it "keeps" happening, they'd have to replace the unit. I said, "It already 'keeps' happening." So the guy told me they'd replace it with a refurbished unit....for $49! Hello! I paid $49 for the NEW unit (after rebate) just over 3 months ago! If it'd have happened in the first 30 days they'd send a new one for free, then between 31 and 90 days I'd get a refurbished unit for free, but since it is over (just barely!), I have to pay $49 to get a refurbished unit! And what they heck would they do if I had a "lifetime subscription"? I know that I didn't go that option to start with because it was "lifetime of the UNIT", but if I had? I'd have paid $300 for something that lasted 3 months?! So, what do I do? I am mad as heck. Can this be fixed? Or do I report this to the Better Business Bureau?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
GageShaye said:
And what they heck would they do if I had a "lifetime subscription"? I know that I didn't go that option to start with because it was "lifetime of the UNIT", but if I had? I'd have paid $300 for something that lasted 3 months?! So, what do I do? I am mad as heck. Can this be fixed? Or do I report this to the Better Business Bureau?
Not much you can do except for sending TiVo $49. Reporting to BBB wouldn't do you any good at all. You owe TiVo for 9 more months of service regardless if your TiVo works or not. You can try to protest charges, but I bet the terms of your rebate specifically state that you have to keep service for at least a year. So your choices are to either pay $49 and enjoy TiVo for the rest of the year or pay for service you don't receive. And to answer your question about lifetime. If you had lifetime sub your sub would have been transferred to the replacement unit.
Edit. Didn't read your original thread, so I didn't realize that lifetime question has been answered. Before you send your unit for repairs, make sure you do few things. First to "Clear and delete" everything in setup menu. That will take care of any corrupted data files. If that doesn't work try to repeat "Guided setup". Do it twice of 3 times, don't ask me why - I have no idea, but that is what fixed my TiVo 5 years ago and it still works fine.

·
Super Moderator
59,157 Posts
GageShaye said:
And what they heck would they do if I had a "lifetime subscription"? I know that I didn't go that option to start with because it was "lifetime of the UNIT", but if I had? I'd have paid $300 for something that lasted 3 months?!
As long as it's less then a year old they would transfer the lifetime service to the "refurbished" unit for you at no further cost. If it was over a year old then you'd be out of luck. (although you'd probably still be able to sell it to someone on eBay for at, or near, the cost of the lifetime service since this is a fixable problem by someone who knows what they're doing.)

Dan

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Dan203 said:
As long as it's less then a year old they would transfer the lifetime service to the "refurbished" unit for you at no further cost. If it was over a year old then you'd be out of luck. (although you'd probably still be able to sell it to someone on eBay for at, or near, the cost of the lifetime service since this is a fixable problem by someone who knows what they're doing.)

Dan
Dan are you sure? Did TiVo change the policy on lifetime? My understanding was that as long as your original box is repaired or replaced by authorized service there are no restrictions to lifetime transfer regardless if box is under warranty or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
GageShaye said:
I posted this elsewhere, but thought it fit in well here. I could live with a YEAR before breakdown, but not this crap:

We've had TiVo for just over 3 MONTHS. Last week, it started "freezing". We'd turn on the t.v. then hit the tv input button to use TiVo, and the picture would either be frozen, or there'd be some odd screen with just black and green squiggles. It has missed recording some shows we had scheduled (Like 24! I can NOT believe it. I am in agony.)
I called Customer Support. I was told that I would be given a case number so that if it "keeps" happening, they'd have to replace the unit. I said, "It already 'keeps' happening." So the guy told me they'd replace it with a refurbished unit....for $49! Hello! I paid $49 for the NEW unit (after rebate) just over 3 months ago! If it'd have happened in the first 30 days they'd send a new one for free, then between 31 and 90 days I'd get a refurbished unit for free, but since it is over (just barely!), I have to pay $49 to get a refurbished unit! And what they heck would they do if I had a "lifetime subscription"? I know that I didn't go that option to start with because it was "lifetime of the UNIT", but if I had? I'd have paid $300 for something that lasted 3 months?! So, what do I do? I am mad as heck. Can this be fixed? Or do I report this to the Better Business Bureau?
Were you hooked up to a wireless adapter? If so, what kind? Have you tried rebooting it WITHOUT the adapter plugged in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I am hooked up to a wireless adapter! (I'll have to look when I go downstairs later. I'm pretty sure it is a Netgear....)
Would that maybe be the problem? I've always been hooked up that way, so I hadn't thought that this could cause a problem now...

·
Registered
32 Posts
GageShaye said:
Yes, I am hooked up to a wireless adapter! (I'll have to look when I go downstairs later. I'm pretty sure it is a Netgear....)
Would that maybe be the problem? I've always been hooked up that way, so I hadn't thought that this could cause a problem now...
I cannot speak with certainty, but I have a correct versioned WG111 wireless adapter and had the same problems as you (and several other people it seems). I attributed it to the hard drive, as others have suggested, and went out and bought a new Tivo. It turns out that the adapter causes the new one to die as well, yet it works perfectly when the adapter is unplugged.

The thing is, the adapter worked perfectly for 4 months, and on Saturday it 'died' out of the blue. I am of the belief that Tivo sent out a software update Friday night, and it has screwed up the compatibility with my adapter.

I'd like to see if someone from Tivo can comment on this, but yes, check to see what wireless adapter you have.

·
Registered
82 Posts
GageShaye said:

That is/was my fear while evaluating TiVo and the lifetime subscription.

The average life span for these kinds of electronics is about 3 years. Most disk drives average about that long before they break down.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
joe123j said:
That is/was my fear while evaluating TiVo and the lifetime subscription.

The average life span for these kinds of electronics is about 3 years. Most disk drives average about that long before they break down.
If the disk drive goes, you replace it -- the lifetime service on the box is still in force.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
If you're loosing electronics and disk drives that frequently, you should check your power or add UPS/surge protectors. No one I know (in several parts of the US) burns up electronic products anywhere near that quickly. My parents live in a high thunderstorm/power failure area and I don't think they own any electronic product under 5 years old. The PC that I gave to them in 1995 still runs fine though the bearings in the disk have gotten louder then when they were new.

joe123j said:
You have to pay for that. If you replace it yourself (correct me if I a wrong), you void the warranty.
How about if it's under warranty, you let them replace it, otherwise you replace it. Of course, some people upgrade them immediately anyway since the disk comes with it's own warranty anyway, and that's about all that's ever likely to fail.

21 - 40 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.