TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
On the other hand, my friends and I bought 9 TiVos between us between 5.5 and 6 years ago. Zero failures so far. They also have some newer TiVos. No failures among these youngsters either.

It's strange that they only recommended a new one. TiVo will repair/replace for a fee, and the most failure prone part - the disk, is easily replaced by the owner.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
gregmark said:
Having said that, I just think it's (inadvertently) flippant to tell Tivo layity that any solution that requires unscrewing a chassis is easy.
You could always get the neighbor's kid to do it. Back in the early days when the upgrade process was little documented and didn't have ready-made solutions like Weaknees, it was common for people here to upgrade other people's TiVos for a beer. If it's not easy for you, there's a kid nearby who will think it's a piece of cake.

If the OP knows the problem is the disk, and feels he can't unscrew the chassis, he should let us know where he lives. I'll do it for a beer if I'm near.

Samo may still be right though - depending on what rebate deals are out there, sometimes you can get a TiVo for less than the cost of the disk inside it.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
lethcoeb said:
Heck, how many of us have stereos, or microwaves, or clock radios fail at such a rate?
On a more apples to apples comparison: Back in the good old days I've lost as many as 4 VCRs within a year. I once had the same one die 3 times in 18 months. That one cost $899 but that was back when $899 was still real money ;)

Rentals and leases do take care of you in case of trouble, but it's usually all factored into the rent you pay. (Of course, you'll pay a lot if you put your TiVo on monthly too and I don't recommend that either.)

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I'll mention it here too: You can get a TiVo for $20 after rebate at CompUSA.

Of course some people don't like fussing with rebates, but to send it back to TiVo you'd have to package and ship it and the shipping alone would probably cost $20.

If the CSR knew this (and hopefully mentioned it) then a new TiVo is really hard to beat for a monthly customer.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
I like the lifetime subscription, expensive, but it makes sense in the long run. But if the unit dies, or you want to upgrade it, you are out of luck unless you dish out more $cash$.
Contrary to what the OP said, TiVo will repair/replace units. Also, people can and do upgrade units, and the resale value of lifetime is close to 100% If you're unusually scared, many retailers will be happy to sell you an extended warrantee. I don't recommend them though.

joe123j said:
Also, anything over 3 years old in the tech arena is pretty much outdated.
The CE world doesn't really move that fast. Most people I know bought their last VCR in the 80s. I was helping some friends install a new HDTV last week and it involved removing the 1990 TV, hooking the new one to their 1981 VCR and their 1985 LD player, and ~1980ish receiver. If you think about the evolution of each of those devices, they really didn't have any great need to update them. Likewise, you've just discovered TiVo even though it's over 6 years old. There may be some new gee wiz features in 3 years, but most people won't even notice until really major stuff happens. But if you must be on the absolute bleeding edge, be sure to take advantage of the high resale value of lifetime service.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
The average life span for these kinds of electronics is about 3 years. Most disk drives average about that long before they break down.
If you're loosing electronics and disk drives that frequently, you should check your power or add UPS/surge protectors. No one I know (in several parts of the US) burns up electronic products anywhere near that quickly. My parents live in a high thunderstorm/power failure area and I don't think they own any electronic product under 5 years old. The PC that I gave to them in 1995 still runs fine though the bearings in the disk have gotten louder then when they were new.

joe123j said:
You have to pay for that. If you replace it yourself (correct me if I a wrong), you void the warranty.
How about if it's under warranty, you let them replace it, otherwise you replace it. Of course, some people upgrade them immediately anyway since the disk comes with it's own warranty anyway, and that's about all that's ever likely to fail.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
The agent is right - TiVo has a typical CE device warranty that doesn't encourage people to poke around inside. However this in no way makes your first sentence true. The warranty ends when it ends. Your sub status has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
So what will my $300 dollar lifetime subscription do for me if I cannot use it since it is directly tied to a broken TiVo box?
I would recommend having the box fixed. You do not need a warranty to have something fixed. A warranty only gets it fixed at the manufacturer's expense. Do you honestly not know that?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
Also, why are you trying to circumvent TiVo written policies? If I am honest and I tell TiVo that I modified my TiVo box, they can cancel my lieftime subscription, no?
Again, NO.

Warranties expire all the time. The expire naturally with time, mileage etc. When the warranty expires you are not required to throw away a product that has a problem. If you were I'd be on my 80th car by now.

Your lifetime sub has nothing to do with the warranty.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
My POINT which you are not getting, is that if the motherboard breaks 3 months down the line, and you had modified/open the TiVo box, you are OUT of your $300 lifetime subscription because TiVo will NOT fix the unit.
Again, Again, Again, Again.... No

I'm not getting your POINT because your POINT is incorrect. Please repair your POINT. Is it still under warranty? If so the repair will be free, but please repair it whether it is under warranty or not. It is seriously defective. :D

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
You need to go back and re-read my question. My question to you was simple and and straight forward:

I asked:

Will TiVo honor a lifetime Subscription to a TiVo box if they know that the TiVo box has been modified in any way? Can you give a simiple Yes/No answer?

What part of the question was not clear to you?
Thank you for asking.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
If you open the TiVo box yourself, do you void the TiVo warranty
joe123j said:
When I called TiVo support on 3 seperate occasions to make sure I was getting the correct answer with their policies. TiVo reps made it VERY clear that if I open or modify a TiVo box, that would void my subscription with them.
Since you seem to be unable to keep these two concepts straight, I'm not going to place a lot of faith in that.

Three separate calls to get the same answer. Gee, just like this thread :D

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
joe123j said:
The subscription remains in effect if the TiVo DVR needs to be repaired or replaced due to a malfunction (see manufacturer or retailer warranty details) or even if you upgrade your TiVo DVR to increase storage capacity
Try reading what you cut and paste.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Again no.

At least not for other people.

For you OK - Just for you everything dies when you upgrade your disk.

But then you decided to cancel your TiVo days ago so it's OK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.