TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used Roamio OTA 1GB that was previously activated. It shows as having the Tivo Service Level of C:111318. Works great, but I wanted to connect the DVR box to my Tivo iOS app. I called tech support for assistance, and was told that it could not be done as the DVR box was linked to another user, and that user would be required to contact Tivo and put an authorization on his/her account to transfer the box to a new owner. While I understand the necessity in restricting such transfers in the event of a resale of a stolen device with a subscription tied to it, this isn't the case with the OTA model which is sold with a lifetime sub tied to the box. What is my recourse? I've already contacted the seller on ebay asking they put in the authorization or pass along the request to the previous owner, but its likely I see pigs fly before that happens.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I purchased a used Roamio OTA 1GB that was previously activated. It shows as having the Tivo Service Level of C:111318. Works great, but I wanted to connect the DVR box to my Tivo iOS app. I called tech support for assistance, and was told that it could not be done as the DVR box was linked to another user, and that user would be required to contact Tivo and put an authorization on his/her account to transfer the box to a new owner. While I understand the necessity in restricting such transfers in the event of a resale of a stolen device with a subscription tied to it, this isn't the case with the OTA model which is sold with a lifetime sub tied to the box. What is my recourse? I've already contacted the seller on ebay asking they put in the authorization or pass along the request to the previous owner, but its likely I see pigs fly before that happens.
If this was a recent Ebay purchase, you can get your money back from the seller, just start a return for "not as described".

·
TDL shepherd
17,357 Posts
While I understand the necessity in restricting such transfers in the event of a resale of a stolen device with a subscription tied to it, this isn't the case with the OTA model which is sold with a lifetime sub tied to the box.
Agreed that It's not the same, as a Lifetime/All-In box has much more value, and so TiVo should be more reluctant to transfer such a box without express authorization by the previous owner.

What is my recourse? I've already contacted the seller on ebay asking they put in the authorization or pass along the request to the previous owner, but its likely I see pigs fly before that happens.
Continuing attempts with TiVo Support to see if you can achieve different results (maybe with proof of purchase details), or filing a purchase protection claim with eBay, since you effectively haven't received a Lifetime unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.