TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Tivo Hates Mac Users
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
EwanG said:
Personally, I'd like to be able to run TivoDesktop from Linux so I wouldn't have to do the crazy stuff I do just to have a RAID array for my TivoToGo shows. But I'm not at all surprised that it isn't a TiVo priority.

Because the sad (to me) truth is that even among Windows users, there isn't that much use of TivoDesktop. I suspect that no more than 10% of TiVo's installed base has used TivoDesktop more than once, and if you figure out what percentage of that already small market is the Mac market...

Yes, I think it's a bad thing that TiVo has not done a better job of developing software that could easily be ported to different OS's and such. I think the success of getting Galleon running on Mac, Windows, and Linux shows the development path that TiVo should have used. However, I can also understand having to make trade-offs.

That said, have you looked at using Galleon on your Mac?

FWIW,
Ewan
One other thing in regards to Tivo ToGo usage. It really surprises me if those numbers are correct. I am not even that interested in downloading the video from the Tivo. My main use was using the Tivo as a gateway to my home stereo to play my MP3's. That to me was the key feature that made Tivo stand out from paying half of the monthly cost and just getting the DVR from my cable company (they charge only $6.95 a month) and I would even be able to record two channels at once!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel your pain. However, this is and may always be part of the Mac user experience. It is something I accepted long ago and don't let bother me anymore. I'll user whatever workaround or hack is available. I user Tivo desktop on a Beige G3 running 10.3.9 that I setup as my media server. Not everyone has an extra pc or mac sitting around but that's what works for me. I also have Galleon up and running on it. Either one will stream mp3's to the Tivo for me. I can also extract video when I want. The only downside is having to take the video to a pc or my main G4 DA machine running virtual pc to run directshow dump to strip off the drm encoding. That is why I went the extra step to hack my SA S2 Tivo so that I can use Tivotool. Again, I understand most do not have the inclination or wherewithall to hack their Tivo or setup Galleon but you are a technical person. It would be easier for you than most to get things going. :up:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dennis Wilkinson said:
If the OS isn't even released, let alone supported, yet (this is an NDA'd beta, and I'm guessing we're not looking at a developer with a legit copy of the OS here...) why would you expect TiVoDesktop to be?
Given that Intel-based Macs are already shipping, the Intel version of OS X must logically already be final and not NDA'ed.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
Mr. Laser Beam said:
Given that Intel-based Macs are already shipping, the Intel version of OS X must logically already be final and not NDA'ed.
Date that quote was posted: 11-28-2005. Date of Steve Jobs' Keynote announcing the public availability of Intel-based Macs: 1-10-2006

·
L: 37-35
13,257 Posts
Mr. Laser Beam said:
Given the post you quoted and replied to was posted on 11-29-2005 that may not be the case.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.