TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The OP is asking about the x86 build of Mac OS X, which isn't final (why they'd expect this to work at this point I'm not sure, given that HMO is implemented as a Java application calling a JNI library, something that isn't expected to work on an x86-based developer Mac, even with Rosetta, without the JNI pieces being recompiled.)

If the OS isn't even released, let alone supported, yet (this is an NDA'd beta, and I'm guessing we're not looking at a developer with a legit copy of the OS here...) why would you expect TiVoDesktop to be?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Alexbt said:
Then it should simply be a matter of when it was compiled and what it was compiled with. From what Apple is telling (and showing us), building Universal Binaries to run on EITHER processor flavor of OS X is as simple as checking off a box in the xCode development system.

Of course, I could be way off base. I'm by no means a programmer.
There were (publically) documented limitations in the Rosetta emulator that prevented native code that interacted with Java, or Java that interacted with native code (as TiVoDesktop is) from working under the emulator, so the existing version would not work on the Intel Developer Kit.

"Universal Binaries" depend on using packages (which aren't much more than well-structured folders with some meta-data about the binaries, related resources like images, and the binaries themselves, one per processor flavor.) This is a holdover from the NeXT days. JNI libraries (.jnilib extension) aren't packages, so it's not clear to me how "fat" versions of those will be packaged.

You're right in that it should be relatively simple for TiVo to build an x86 version of the JNI library, assuming they don't have any endianness assumptions in their code. Even so, we're still talking about an unreleased operating system here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.