1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
28,939 Posts
Figures as I just ordered one on Monday. I was looking to replace my Roamio with pixelation issues with the 2 tuner Recast when it went on sale, but then noticed the 2 tuner wasn't listed anymore and the 4 tuner and the firestick were on sale so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully it solves my pixelation issues and I can sell my Roamio with lifetime for a decent amount so I can ride out the 3-4 years of guide updates (fingers crossed). We honestly don't record that much so I could even get by with manual recurring recordings if needed assuming that still works on the Recast.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Figures as I just ordered one on Monday. I was looking to replace my Roamio with pixelation issues with the 2 tuner Recast when it went on sale, but then noticed the 2 tuner wasn't listed anymore and the 4 tuner and the firestick were on sale so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully it solves my pixelation issues and I can sell my Roamio with lifetime for a decent amount so I can ride out the 3-4 years of guide updates (fingers crossed). We honestly don't record that much so I could even get by with manual recurring recordings if needed assuming that still works on the Recast.
Unless something has changed, you can NOT do manual recordings. I had purchased one way back when, I was looking for an OTA only device to record from a station cable did not have. I thought I'd try the Recast. It turns out, at the time, there was no guide data for the station, so I could not record it at all. It totally relies on the guide. I'm pretty sure this is also true with streaming. No option for manual recordings. When the guide is messed up (ie. listing replays as new), that's where TiVo shines. You can set a manual recording on a series that plays a set time of the day or week.

·
Registered
28,939 Posts
Unless something has changed, you can NOT do manual recordings. I had purchased one way back when, I was looking for an OTA only device to record from a station cable did not have. I thought I'd try the Recast. It turns out, at the time, there was no guide data for the station, so I could not record it at all. It totally relies on the guide. I'm pretty sure this is also true with streaming. No option for manual recordings. When the guide is messed up (ie. listing replays as new), that's where TiVo shines. You can set a manual recording on a series that plays a set time of the day or week.
Yikes. Thanks for letting me know. That seems insane to me that you can't do a manual recording but I'll test it out before deciding to keep it or try something else.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wow, Amazon stopped selling the recast altogether, now, "Currently Unavailable". A google search shows Bestbuy or Ebay selling them. I wonder how long they will keep supporting them. That's the problem with guide data. If the company quits, you're SOL. Maybe they will allow someone to connect a guide service to it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Should have went with Tablo.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Does Goggle’s free DVR Live Channels no longer exist? It worked great when I used it years ago.
Still exists, I believe google is deprecating it though. I have it set it up on the TS4K and ONN 4K for watching live tv from HD Homerun and have PlutoTV mapped into it also. I use it everyday for the locals. I haven’t connected a drive to record with though. Still have the tivos and plex if I want to do that which is rare anymore.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wow, Amazon stopped selling the recast altogether, now, "Currently Unavailable". A google search shows Bestbuy or Ebay selling them. I wonder how long they will keep supporting them. That's the problem with guide data. If the company quits, you're SOL. Maybe they will allow someone to connect a guide service to it.
Time to unload mine while there's still a market. I've never been able to really integrate the Recast into our TV viewing. The only real use case I found for it was to watch local TV while on public transportation; however, that only works about half the time since it keeps becoming "unpaired" from my phone app.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts