TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
They already got Emmy noms for Production Design and Contemporary Costumes for season 1, and they seem to be outdoing themselves in those categories this season as well as breaking into the Period Costumes category for next year.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I loved this episode. while I thought last season was funnier, this is deeper, more character focused. As soon as oliver's son brought up the DNA test as a school project I knoew that Oliver was not going to be the father. But Teddy?!?!? I like that they knew each other since childhood, I don't remember if we knew that last season or not.

I don't think Alice is the killer, she wasn't around as far as we know last season, and so had no reason to off Bunny, and how would she know about the passages in the Arconia?

·
All About Footwork
32,299 Posts
I loved this episode. while I thought last season was funnier, this is deeper, more character focused. As soon as oliver's son brought up the DNA test as a school project I knoew that Oliver was not going to be the father. But Teddy?!?!? I like that they knew each other since childhood, I don't remember if we knew that last season or not.

I don't think Alice is the killer, she wasn't around as far as we know last season, and so had no reason to off Bunny, and how would she know about the passages in the Arconia?
If they follow season 1, it's not going to be someone they suspect until closer to the end :)

·
Hinky
32,249 Posts
* SPOILERS FOR S02E05 “The Tell” START HERE *

For example, I really enjoyed the “blackout!” switching back and forth from seventies to present-day set dressing and costuming during the Son of Sam game. T
Loved the Son of Sam game! Hubby and I looked at each other when it was introduced and said "that's werewolf".

·
Excellent.
23,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
* SPOILERS FOR S02E06 - S02E07 "Performance Review" and "Flipping the Pieces" FROM HERE *

I didn't get around to posting about E06 last week. I thought it was the weakest of the season to that point. There were a couple of solid developments and bits, but overall it felt like it spent too much time servicing returning characters from season one who didn't really need to be there and weren't driving the story (e.g. Jan, Sazz). Although I'll admit that Charles sending Sazz to break up with Jan again was amusing, and Jane Lynch was funny there. "This doing anything for ya?"

I assume the stuff with Cinda and Poppy and the secrets Poppy wanted to tell Mabel will go somewhere, but it was a little frustrating to have it dropped so suddenly as Mabel coincidentally found glitter guy on the train. I didn't like the end, with Mabel stabbing him, not because it wasn't a good development -- it was -- but because I felt sorry for Mabel. She's kind of getting put through the wringer this season.

Moving to E06, the coincidence of Mabel being on the same train as glitter guy became a massive coincidence with Theo being on the same train. And then came the bit that probably, net, made this episode more frustrating than the last one: Mabel's amnesia. I think you have to be careful deploying amnesia as a storytelling device, and to just drop it in here as a means of not revealing crucial information felt like this season's first bit of real clumsiness in unfurling its mystery. They did try to justify it via backstory but, while the flashbacks to Mabel and her dad were affecting enough, I don't think it really worked. Nor, especially, how it resolved: Mabel telling herself, "I need to stop repressing bad stuff", and bingo! she remembers Bunny's murder.

We ended in a good place, though, with the ominous blackout, and Jane (yay she's back) alone in Charles' apartment with them and us having the knowledge she is (or she and Charles are) under surveillance.

Whodunnit? Seems like a curveball is coming (or it's already here), as glitter guy does seem to work at Coney Island and that has no meaning to the trio (or at least to Mabel). So he himself is probably not someone we've met yet. And per Mabel's recovered memory, he does seem to be the person who stabbed Bunny. But I assume the killer won't be someone completely random, so will he have a connection to a character we've already seen? Interested to see where that goes.

I've also lost track of a detail: was Bunny stabbed with knitting needles or the knife? In Mabel's recovered memory, Bunny had needles in her, did she not? If so, where did the knife come from?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'll agree the plot seems to have veered off into an even higher level of fantasy cartoonishness. Bunny was stabbed with a knife but knitting needles were placed in Bunny by the murderer to try to frame Mabel. So now their cop friend is in possession of the presumed murder weapon. There's a big obsession with everyone's father and a father theme this season. I think the glitter guy will turn out to be Mabel's long lost father. Her father looked so familiar to me and it took me a minute to make the connection that he's Mr. Kelly Ripa, and another minute to remember his name (Mark Consuelos). My leading suspects right now are the investigative team's relatives (Mabel's father, Oliver's son, and Charles' daughter) and Cinda.

·
Librocubicularist
24,982 Posts
OK, then I missed that. I thought a close up on the hands looked similar. I usually don't pay close enough attention on the first viewing and eventually go back to watch again. That leaves Teddy as still a suspect.
Near the end when she and Theo were sitting outside the diner, she told him that her father died, and we get the explanation that they didn't want to tell her and he's living in that apartment that she visits him at because he's dying... there was a whole hospital bed scene where she finally found out he was dying.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I loved the Sound of Silence Sing Along in the blacked out Arconia. Howard having a crush on Jonathon was cute and I was glad to see Howard grab the bull by the horns and ask him out. And we can officially cross them off the suspect list along with Lester and Nina (not that Lester was ever on the list).

I don't think Kreps is the killer, but he is glitter man and may be working with the killer, or he's trying to solve the case on his own, but I'm somewhat confused about why he was chasing Lucy through the passage ways. If he was trying to kill her, why? It doesn't make any sense to me. What is his motive for killing Bunny?

·
Excellent.
23,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
* SPOILERS FOR S02E08 "Hello, Darkness" FROM HERE *

Two episodes left feels too early to reveal the killer to the trio and to us, so I tend to agree that Kreps, while apparently Glitter Guy, is not the killer. Or rather, might actually be the killer but in league with someone else. I don't think we've been presented with any connection, obvious or subtle, between Kreps and the building that would justify him acting on his own. If it's the latter, I'll go with Cinda Canning, paying him to do the crime to create material for her podcast. After all, it was Kreps who texted Charles and Oliver to tell them to get out of the building at the end of last season, and somehow waiting down there for them was Cinda. We still haven't gotten back to the scoop Poppy wanted to tell Mabel about Cinda. I'm guessing that will allow them to connect the dots.

The show makes clever enough use of its guest-stars that when a name actor like Michael Rappaport shows up, we don't immediately think "he did it!" He's playing a very Michael Rappaport type here, so to me it came off as an comic-relief, antagonistic cameo. But he's been gradually showing up unexpectedly in the wrong places, like he did in this episode, and it is starting to make sense when looked at in reverse.

·
Excellent.
23,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
* SPOILERS FOR S02E090 “Sparring Partners” FROM HERE *

Seems like I had it right in my E08 post.

So Becky Butler bludgeoned Bunny? Or do I just like to type out alliterations?
Kreps did. Canning is using him to generate podcast content for her, mysteries that she more or less creates that she can then come up with the solutions to. Unclear why Poppy/Betty is keeping her identity quiet. Presumably we’ll learn the answer to that in the finale. Canning has something on her? (Maybe it’s the fact that she is an accessory to the original hoax.)

Seems like the painting just ends up as a red herring in the whole affair. It gave us the great scenes in this episode between Shirley MacLaine and Steve Martin, so that’s enough of a payoff for me. They were great together in this one.

Oliver takes the news of his son’s heritage maturely; quite a surprise. Martin Short was very good in this one as well.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts